COMPLETE [SOLO] A Bachelor Girl in Burma by G E Mitton-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
atruewalker

Post by atruewalker »

A Bachelor Girl in Burma, by Geraldine E. Mitton (1868 - 1955)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/a-bachelor-girl-in-burma-by-geraldine-edith-mitton/

Volunteers outside the USA: Geraldine E. Mitton died in 1955. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
Miss Mitton was an unusual English woman of her time. As a published author, this unmarried woman in her early 30's recorded her visit to Burma (and Ceylon) at the turn of the 20th century. Her language is picturesque and her attitude toward the natives of this country is typical of her era. Burma of the early 1900's was, and still is a little known and under appreciated destination for those who love to wander the world. Anyone interested in Edwardian travel, attitudes, and women's issues during the Edwardian colonial period will enjoy this travelogue. (Summary by Mary Ann Hadley)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/abachelorgirlin00mittgoog/page/n2/mode/2up?q=A+Bachelor+Girl+in+Burma

Target completion date: 2021-10-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of A Bachelor Girl in Burma. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "A Bachelor Girl in Burma, by Geraldine E. Mitton. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of A Bachelor Girl in Burma, by Geraldine E. Mitton. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of A Bachelor Girl in Burma, by Geraldine E. Mitton."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: bachelorgirl_##_mitton_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. bachelorgirl_01_mitton_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: maryannspiegel

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by atruewalker on July 23rd, 2021, 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

To start a solo project, please see the following thread, read through the instructions and then fill in the project template generator, copy all the code it generates and then paste it into your post above. An MC will be along at that point to set up the project for you in the database.

Want to start a solo recording?
Jo
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks for updating your first post ... I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up and be back with some further instructions.

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, Your MW is set up.

For a solo project, you are the Book Coordinator. That means you fill out the Magic Window and post your links and times in the window when you upload your files.

You'll need to start by logging into the magic window. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!) Please be sure to read all of the BC How To document, as that will give you more information on your role as a BC.

Note that passwords for the magic window and the forum are not connected. You can use the same password in both places (I think a lot of people do), but if you change it on one system, it won't affect the password on the other system.

Next, you'll need to start entering section (or chapter) titles. I've entered the first couple to get you started. I wasn't sure if you wanted to read the Author's Note, so I have added that. If you don't want to read it, let me know and I'll delete that section from your MW.

Then you are ready to start recording. When you upload a section, it's your responsibility to add the link and duration (mm:ss) to the Magic Window. Link from the uploader goes in the "listen URL" column, duration goes in the "notes" column. Then be sure to post in the thread that a new section is ready for PL so your DPL knows there is something new.

We won't worry about a DPL just yet - folks often see new projects and volunteer to listen before anything is posted. If no one sees this, we will advertise once you have a section or two ready to listen to.

If you have questions, or if you have any trouble with the instructions in the BC how to, please post and we'll work through it together. There is a bit of a learning curve when you do your first solo. You've picked a nice size book - not too long and something that you are interested in, so it should be a manageable and enjoyable process for you.

MaryAnn
atruewalker

Post by atruewalker »

Thanks Mary Ann. I'm a Mary Ann too! Not too many of us out there.

I recorded the Author's Note and Chapter 1 in a single reading. If you think it better, I can separate the two. I've also recorded chapter 2. I'll go through your instructions and submit them tomorrow. Myanmar or Burma, it's one of my favorite countries and peoples. I know this will be a fun project.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

atruewalker wrote: July 25th, 2021, 1:38 am Not too many of us out there.
Yes, especially with this spelling!

I've gotten rid of section 0.

I'd be happy to DPL this for you. And I'll move us to going solo to keep the launch pad tidy.

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Great.

You are the Book Coordinator for this project, so it's your responsibility to put the links and times in the MW. Mark each section as "ready for PL". I'll listen (using the links in the MW, to make sure they are all correct) and then change the status when I am finished to either "pl ok" or "see pl notes".

You are welcome to put the links in the thread, but you don't have to since you are putting them in the MW. But please do post to the thread when you add recordings. That way I get a notice and know there is something to listen to.

MaryAnn
atruewalker

Post by atruewalker »

Oops sorry, it was late and I was a bit sleepy...I did read the instructions, and I'll post it myself from now on. Thanks for your help.
atruewalker

Post by atruewalker »

I figured it out! I have posted the two chapters in the MW but I don't know how to delete the empty 17th window. Can you do it for me?
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Great. I'll listen soon.

And I have deleted the extra section. BCs can add sections, and drag and drop to rearrange, but only MCs can delete them.

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Mary Ann,
Section 1 is very well read. (I would not be caught sleeping on the deck!)
Couple of things to attend to:

Beginning silence should be between half and one second. You have 5. Please trim it down.

And then at 21.09, in the word "fleecer", there is static. Any chance you can trim that out?

When you post a corrected file, please change the status to "ready for spot PL". When you post a new file, please change the status to "ready for PL".

Thanks.

MaryAnn
atruewalker

Post by atruewalker »

I'm up to chapter 4 in my MW and have made the edit requested. Thanks.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

And sections 1 and 2 are PL OK!
MaryAnn
atruewalker

Post by atruewalker »

Chapter 5 is ready.