COMPLETE National Geographic Magazine Vol. 09 - December 1898 - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

The National Geographic Magazine Vol. 09 - December 1898, by The National Geographic Society

This project is complete! All audio files can be found in the catalogue: https://librivox.org/the-national-geographic-magazine-vol-09-12-december-1898-by-national-geographic-society/
The National Geographic Magazine, an illustrated monthly, Vol IX, December 1898.
It includes the following articles:
  • The Five Civilized Tribes and the Survey of Indian Territory, by C. H. Fitch
  • Cloud Scenery of the High Plains, by Willard D. Johnson
  • Atlantic Coast Tides, by Mark S. W. Jefferson
  • President Alexander Graham Bell on Japan, by John Hyde
  • Geographic Literature
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/nationalgeograph91898nati (direct links provided in the Magic Window)

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 1-2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record. Previous projects show that 10 pages give a recording of about 25-35 minutes, depending on reading speed.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of The National Geographic Magazine Vol. 09, December 1898. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name, /city, /date."]
"[Article Name by Author Name, as these appear in the text]"
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, /city, /date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The National Geographic Magazine Vol. 09, December 1898"
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: ngm09_12_##_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. ngm09_12_01_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Rapunzelina

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

May I claim Section 5…

BettyB
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Thank you, Betty! This one is longer than usual! Enjoy :D
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Could I ask for the Japan section please. Obviously. :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Thank you, Ava! I hope it doesn't turn out to be disappointing!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

It's about Japan, it'll be great! :9:

I'm never really disappointed about a section here, it's just that the titles are rather misleading sometimes. How can you call an essay "Tides in the Open Atlantic" when the whole thing says "oh, we can't really measure the tides on open sea, so let's move on to some bays I have randomly chosen..." :twisted: Not that this is not interesting - I've learned that the tides rise pretty much at the same speed everywhere, even in a very large bay - but do choose a better title then. :roll:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, I should take just one and see how it goes. How about Section 1?
Somewhat patronizing, but I'll read it.
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Thank you, Larry! I'll sign you up!
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

May I have Section 3, please?
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Section 3 it is! Thank you, realisticspeakers :D
Matulism

Post by Matulism »

Hi,
May I claim Section 2 ?
-Mark
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Definitely! Thank you for joining us, Mark! By what name would you like to be credited as a Reader in the catalogue? It could be your forum name, or the name you'll be using in the recordings for the "Read by" part :D

Consider doing a test recording before the real one, to check that your recording settings are correct. Here's info on how to do this test https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ngm09_12_03_128kb.mp3
[30:22]

I'm not sure what I read. I either missed the point entirely, ...or missed the point entirely.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Nothing wrong with you; apparently there is no point in atlantic tides... :P
But you did a great reading of it, so thank you for persevering! PL OK!
Matulism

Post by Matulism »

Rapunzelina wrote: June 17th, 2021, 8:57 am Definitely! Thank you for joining us, Mark! By what name would you like to be credited as a Reader in the catalogue? It could be your forum name, or the name you'll be using in the recordings for the "Read by" part :D

Consider doing a test recording before the real one, to check that your recording settings are correct. Here's info on how to do this test https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test
Hi Rapunzelina
You can credit me as: Mark E Matulis.
Will get the test done shortly
M.