[COMPLETE] Lesley Castle, by Jane Austen (1775 - 1817)-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

FULL [DR] Lesley Castle, by Jane Austen (1775 - 1817)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/lesley-castle-by-jane-austen/
Lesley Castle is a melodramatic epistolary novelette written by Jane Austen when she was sixteen years old. Although the novels Austen became known for were not published until she was in her thirties, she was an active writer from the age of twelve, frequently composing epistolary works such as Lesley Castle. Austen eventually compiled 29 of her early writings in three notebooks that became known as the Juvenilia and that she called “Volume the First”, “Volume the Second”, and “Volume the Third”, including Lesley Castle in “Volume the Second”.

Lesley Castle is set contemporaneously to Austen’s writing and consists of a series of ten letters by five characters, all of whom are women of high society living in Great Britain. In this short work, Austen employs a mock serious tone to humorously critique her peers on subjects such as self-absorption and jealousy. Austen acknowledged in a prefatory note that she left Lesley Castle unfinished; it includes several interconnected storylines, but no overarching plot or clear conclusion. (Summary by David Purdy)
Gender-specific casting. Prooflistening will be word perfect. As one of Austen's juvenilia, Lesley Castle exhibits some grammatical, orthographical, and punctuational eccentricities. While the orthography and punctuation aren't going to persist into an audiobook format, I would like to retain the grammar of the original text.

Source text: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1212

COLOUR-CODED TEXT (please read only from this text!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13UxQk1s9ddFl8yiVIrYuTMKyChPmNuZ-?usp=sharing

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Word Perfect
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Dramatic Readings; Epistolary Fiction; Satire

Keywords that describe the book: novelette, epistolary novel, juvenilia

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per letter. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character, read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Letter the # of Lesley Castle, by Jane Austen. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
At the end of each file say:
"End of letter the #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Lesley Castle, by Jane Austen."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: lesleycastle_role_#.mp3 where # is the letter number. (e.g. lesleycastle_margaretlesley_1.mp3)
For final files: lesleycastle_#_austen_128kb.mp3 where # is the letter number. (e.g. lesleycastle_1_austen_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: mightyfelix

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by Salvationist on September 18th, 2021, 8:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

Considering that all of Jane Austen's major works have already been recorded as dramatic readings on LibriVox, I thought I would organize a dramatic reading of one of her minor works. I will BC and edit this project. I will also read the character of William Fitzgerald. Because Lesley Castle is epistolary, the narration is minimal, so I have not sought a narrator in advance of posting this project to the launch pad. I am seeking a DPL.
Salvationist

Aysh

Post by Aysh »

Hi there,

This sounds really interesting! I’d like to PL any sections that will be uploaded before Saturday. Considering my schedule for next week, I’ll confirm if I can DPL, if that’s okay with you?

Thanks
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Could I read for Margaret Lesley please
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
MMMD2505

Post by MMMD2505 »

Could I read for Jane Austen and Susan Lesley, please?

Also, would it be possible for my sister (Linnet) to read Charlotte Lutterell on my account? If not, she can make her own account.

-Magda

"All human wisdom is contained in these two words- Wait and Hope."

-The Count of Monte Cristo
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

Aysh wrote: June 16th, 2021, 3:15 am Hi there,

This sounds really interesting! I’d like to PL any sections that will be uploaded before Saturday. Considering my schedule for next week, I’ll confirm if I can DPL, if that’s okay with you?

Thanks
Thank you for expressing an interest in prooflistening for this project, Aysh! Yes, I think we can wait a few days before you determine whether you can commit to being our DPL. Welcome to LibriVox!
Salvationist

Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

wib66 wrote: June 16th, 2021, 10:41 am Could I read for Margaret Lesley please
Thank you for signing up, Michele! You are welcome to this role. I will sign you up once we have a MW.
Salvationist

Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

MMMD2505 wrote: June 17th, 2021, 7:15 am Could I read for Jane Austen and Susan Lesley, please?

Also, would it be possible for my sister (Linnet) to read Charlotte Lutterell on my account? If not, she can make her own account.

-Magda
Thank you for your interest in this project, Magda! Because this project is so short, I am only accepting one claim per reader. Do you have a preference between reading Jane Austen and Susan Lesley? Your sister will need to create her own account to sign up, but she would be welcome.
Salvationist

Aysh

Post by Aysh »

Salvationist wrote: June 17th, 2021, 11:10 am
Aysh wrote: June 16th, 2021, 3:15 am Hi there,

Thanks
Thank you for expressing an interest in prooflistening for this project, Aysh! Yes, I think we can wait a few days before you determine whether you can commit to being our DPL. Welcome to LibriVox!
Great, thank you so much! Glad to be a part of LibriVox :)
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

If Aysh can't DPL, then I would like to do it.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I can MC this for you. MW coming up!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, I think you're all set. I haven't entered anyone as DPL yet. Let me know when that is settled and I'll take care of it. And, of course, don't hesitate to ask if I can help you with anything else!
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

Aysh wrote: June 17th, 2021, 5:22 pm Great, thank you so much! Glad to be a part of LibriVox :)
Christine has also expressed an interest in being the DPL for this project. You were the first to express interest, so I would like to give you the role if you can commit to it, but I don't want to leave the position vacant for long. Would it be possible for you to make a decision by June 23rd?
Salvationist

Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

mightyfelix wrote: June 18th, 2021, 11:12 am I can MC this for you. MW coming up!
Thank you for signing on as MC, Devorah! I have now populated the MW.
Salvationist

Aysh

Post by Aysh »

Salvationist wrote: June 18th, 2021, 6:05 pm
Aysh wrote: June 17th, 2021, 5:22 pm Great, thank you so much! Glad to be a part of LibriVox :)
Christine has also expressed an interest in being the DPL for this project. You were the first to express interest, so I would like to give you the role if you can commit to it, but I don't want to leave the position vacant for long. Would it be possible for you to make a decision by June 23rd?
Hi there,

Sorry for the late reply. It seems that I can still PL for this project but probably not DPL, so if you would like to offer the entire project to one of the volunteers who can DPL, then that's fine by me. Otherwise, I'm happy to still PL some of the sections.

Aysh