[COMPLETE] Zigzags of Treachery and other stories by Dashiell Hammett - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Zigzags of Treachery and other stories by Dashiell Hammett (1894 - 1961)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/zigzags-of-treachery-and-other-stories-by-dashiell-hammett/

Volunteers outside the USA: Dashiell Hammett died in 1961. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
The death of a well known San Francisco doctor brings a charge of murder for his wife, but is it murder or suicide, and is she really his wife? The Continental Op is on the case in Dashiell Hammett’s “Zigzags of Treachery,” featured here along with two more novellas from the pages of Black Mask magazine, "The Girl with Silver Eyes" and “The Golden Horseshoe.” (Summary by Winston Tharp)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/thetenthclewandeightothercontinentalopstories

Target completion date: 2021-10-11

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: PwUqcmQa
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dashiell_Hammett (Dashiell Hammett)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Continental_Op
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 6
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1924
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project: Crime & Mystery Fiction; Short Stories/Single Author Collections

Keywords that describe the book: detective, murder, San Francisco, drugs, hard-boiled

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Zigzags of Treachery and other stories. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Zigzags of Treachery and other stories, by Dashiell Hammett. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Zigzags of Treachery and other stories, by Dashiell Hammett. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Zigzags of Treachery and other stories, by Dashiell Hammett."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: zigzagsoftreacheryandotherstories_##_hammett_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. zigzagsoftreacheryandotherstories_01_hammett_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: icequeen

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock
zachh

Post by zachh »

I would be interested in being the DPL for this project, if one is wanted. I'm fairly new to the process, having only been a DPL twice before, so you might rather have someone more experienced.
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Thanks, Zach, but ColleenMc has already agreed to DPL this one. Maybe next time. We’re just waiting to be picked up by one of our hard working MCs. :D

Winston
Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock
zachh

Post by zachh »

Great, thanks for letting me know. I'll look forward to listening to the stories once they're catalogued.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Hi Winston, I can MC this one for you! Back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, your MW is ready for you, and Colleen is in as DPL.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Thanks, Ann. Now, for a little time tripping back to those mean streets of San Francisco a century ago! :D
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

I uploaded section one, Ann, but realized that I'd omitted the LibriVox intro, so I uploaded a corrected version using the same file name. If I remember correctly, the new version should replace the old version automatically. When i listened to the uploaded file, however, it seemed to still be the incorrect one. Could you check to see if the new version "took?" Sorry for the confusion. :oops:

Winston
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

k5hsj wrote: May 13th, 2021, 6:24 pm I uploaded section one, Ann, but realized that I'd omitted the LibriVox intro, so I uploaded a corrected version using the same file name. If I remember correctly, the new version should replace the old version automatically. When i listened to the uploaded file, however, it seemed to still be the incorrect one. Could you check to see if the new version "took?" Sorry for the confusion. :oops:

Winston
I checked in my folder, and there are two files for this project, one is section 1 and the other is the replacement for section 1. They are exactly the same size, so I believe that what you added wasn't saved on your end before you export the new file. Maybe try again?
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Off we go to Going Solo!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Thanks, Ann. Third time seems to have been charm. :D
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

k5hsj wrote: May 13th, 2021, 10:32 pm Thanks, Ann. Third time seems to have been charm. :D
Good! I'm glad that it was worked out! :D
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Part 1 PL OK!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Section 2 up--the Zig has Zagged. :D
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Section 2 PL Ok!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai