[COMPLETE] La Papallona, by Narcís Oller - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jpujolar

Post by jpujolar »

La Papallona, by Narcís Oller (1846 - 1930)

This project is now complete. All chapters can be downloaded from the catalog page:
https://librivox.org/la-papallona-by-narcis-oller/

Seguint la vocació naturalista de l'escriptor, la novel·la emprèn una anàlisi del procés d'enamorament de la seva protagonista, Toneta, una modista de caràcter angelical, amb el Lluís, un estudiant de dret del Ripollès. Els ambients en què es desenvolupa la història ens mostren el barri històric i la Boqueria de Barcelona, alhora que es presenta la vida quotidiana de les diverses classes socials de la Barcelona industrial, des de la burgesia fins als treballadors que viuen en condicions molt precàries.

Following the writer's naturalist vocation, the novel undertakes an analysis of the process of falling in love of Toneta, an angelical seamstress, with Lluís, a law student from the Ripollès. The story depicts life in the historic district and the Boqueria in Barcelona, while presenting the daily life of the various social classes of industrial Barcelona, from the bourgeoisie to the workers who live in very precarious conditions. (Summary by Joan Pujolar)
Source text http://bdh-rd.bne.es/viewer.vm?id=0000201109&page=1

Target completion date: 2021-07-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
Genres for the project: Dramatic Readings; General Fiction; Historical Fiction; Literary Fiction
Keywords that describe the book: poverty, class, barcelona, catalan, narcís oller
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"La Papallona. de Narcís Oller. Aquest enregistrament és de domini públic. Per més informació o per fer de voluntària, podeu consultar LibriVox.org.- "La Papallona" de Narcís Oller és llegida per Joan Pujolar. Capítol #."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"La Papallona, de Narcís Oller. Gravació de domini públic per a LibriVox. Llegida per Joan Pujolar"Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"Fi del capítol #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"Fi de La Papallona, de Narcís Oller."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: papallona_##_oller_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. papallona_01_oller_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: availle

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by jpujolar on May 22nd, 2021, 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Joan Pujolar
jpujolar@mastodont.cat

Projectes en català
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Ah, more Catalan! :clap: I'll MC this for you, back in a moment...

Okay, MW is up!
A few things: Since you're reading from your own book, please make a scan or photo of the title page (where it states the copyright) and upload it to my folder. This way we can prove that this book is indeed public domain, should anybody ever get fussy about it.

The rest looks good; feel free to translate the disclaimer into Catalan so it fits the rest of the book. :thumbs:

For future projects: While I do hope that you'll have some drama in your reading, :wink: we use the genre "Dramatic Reading" only when we read books with several people, each one taking on a single role throughout the book. In this case, we'd have one person reading Toneta, another one reading Lluis, then we need a narrator... So this genre doesn't really fit a solo. :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
jpujolar

Post by jpujolar »

Dear Availle,

Many thanks. I upload the pdf in a minute.

Joan
Joan Pujolar
jpujolar@mastodont.cat

Projectes en català
jpujolar

Post by jpujolar »

Dear Availle,

I've tried to use the regular upload page (to upload the copyright info), where I can assign the file to you, but it does not seem to like pdfs.

Is it the file type or should I do the upload elsewhere?

Best,

Joan
Joan Pujolar
jpujolar@mastodont.cat

Projectes en català
jpujolar

Post by jpujolar »

Joan Pujolar
jpujolar@mastodont.cat

Projectes en català
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Oh, I forgot, it's the filetype. I've looked at it, this is all we need. Please put this into a .zip file and upload to my folder. It should work this way.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
mongope

Post by mongope »

Hola! Este libro está en la Biblioteca Digital de España. Si es útil estupendo, sino, pues nada. :D :D
Montse
mongope

Post by mongope »

Montse
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

You're a star, Montse! :clap: :clap:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
mongope

Post by mongope »

:D
Montse
jpujolar

Post by jpujolar »

Hola,

Moltes gràcies, Montse. Mira que vaig buscar per la web de la BNH, i no ho vaig saber trobar.

Abraçades,

Joan
Joan Pujolar
jpujolar@mastodont.cat

Projectes en català
mongope

Post by mongope »

jpujolar wrote: May 22nd, 2021, 4:39 am Hola,

Moltes gràcies, Montse. Mira que vaig buscar per la web de la BNH, i no ho vaig saber trobar.

Abraçades,

Joan
De res :)
Montse
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Hi,

Seeing that this debut solo project is well underway without a PL, I thought I would check the tech specs on a few sections, so you become aware of any systemic problems and don't have to fix them retrospectively in too many sections.

I checked sections 1-5, and everything mostly looks good! :thumbs: Just a few issues to point out:

1) The average volume for these sections ranges between 91 and 93 dB, and sections 1, 3 and 4 have volume above the upper limit of our target range of 86-92 dB. I'll let Ava decide if that's ok.
2) Section 1 has 9 seconds of silence at the end, instead of the required 5. For sections 2-5, there's 5-6 seconds of final silence, which should be ok.
3) The Notes column should list the duration (mm:ss) instead of the file size. We ask for this to help the PL budget their time and also to help MC catch technical glitches during cataloging.
4) The ID3 tags will be populated automatically during cataloging. If you enter these tags manually, they won't break anything, but they won't be used either.
5) The status should be changed to "ready for PL" for uploaded sections.

You don't have to change anything in the sections you have already uploaded until they get PLed properly. Just something to keep in mind for future ones...

I'll wait some more to see if you find a PL. If you haven't and I have time for more PL work, I'll help out with that as well. I have forgotten about 100% of the Catalan textbook I read a few years ago, but I think if I slow down your recording, I'll be able to follow along with the text and get the gist of it. :)

Hope this helps,
Michael
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Joan, I thought there was nothing going on here! Please always post whenever you upload a (couple of) files, so that I and your DPL know that the project is still going strong. :D

Thanks Michael! :thumbs:

As for the volume, yes, it's too high, but in a solo it is less of a concern as long as it is consistent.
I wouldn't have mentioned the ID3 tags since they don't matter :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
jpujolar

Post by jpujolar »

Hello Availle and Kazbek,

Sorry about not giving signals. I thought coordinators would detect new uploads in their own space without needing them.

I was not worried about PLs. I was just waiting to get to around 75% of the material so that the PL would be able to organize herself. I have a DPL in fact. My previous one, fgali, just discovered the project and contacted me via Mastodont. I confirm that the recordings can be assigned to him.

I had forgotten about the decibels. Because I record with a mobile phone, the initial recordings are sometimes low and I have to tweak them with audacity to get good audibility. It's really little work to include the idps, as it can be automated with audacity. I just change the chapter number in each export. This way, no files are circulating without idps, which is fine.

Thanks for the heads up about different issues. I will correct the files and upload them again.

Joan
Joan Pujolar
jpujolar@mastodont.cat

Projectes en català