COMPLETE: A Woman of Genius by Mary Hunter Austin -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
WiseHive55

Post by WiseHive55 »

A Woman of Genius, by Mary Hunter Austin (1868 - 1934)

This project is now complete.  All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/a-woman-of-genius-by-mary-hunter-austin/

In this 1912 novel, Mary Hunter Austin (1868-1934) draws inspiration from her own life to tell the story of a gifted woman caught between her public ambition and her private desire. Beginning with her post-Civil War Midwestern girlhood, Austin chronicles the tumultuous life -- its romantic and artistic challenges -- of "tragic actress" Olivia Lattimore. With lyrical insight, she explores the many social and economic obstacles talented women like Olivia face in their pursuit of self-fulfillment. In America’s cynical Gilded Age, Austin asks, can a “woman of genius” find both happiness and success? Summary by Amy Dunkleberger
Source text (please read only from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/38592

Target completion date: 2021-09-30

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Fictional Biographies & Memoirs; Literary Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: marriage, ambition, midwest, gender roles, actresses

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of A Woman of Genius. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "A Woman of Genius, by Mary Hunter Austin. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of A Woman of Genius, by Mary Hunter Austin. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of A Woman of Genius, by Mary Hunter Austin."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: womanofgenius_##_austin_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. womanofgenius_01_austin_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi WiseHive55. I will MC this for you. Your MW will be available shortly.

Since this will be your first project as soloist/book coordinator(BC), you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the "Magic Window" in the top post. Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler.

First Time Logging in to the Workflow

Instructions for BCs and DPLs

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.

BCs - How to Update the Magic Window

Also please note that the summary for the catalog needs to be in the public domain. We generally recommend you simply something yourself.

If you have any questions, let me know. I'll leave this thread here in the Launch Pad for a day or so longer before I move it to the Going Solo forum, to see if a DPL (Dedicated Prooflistener) volunteers. Looking forward to working with you.
Jo
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

I would be happy to be the DPL for this :)
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Thanks Jenn. I've added you as DPL.
Jo
WiseHive55

Post by WiseHive55 »

Hi Jo!

Thanks for MCing this! I've started recording and am excited to upload my first chapters. I entered the section titles, such as they are, in the MW, but have since discovered that 6 more sections need to be added. The final count should be Book IV, Chapter IX.

I'll write a brief teaser synopsis, no problem.

Do I need to do anything else before uploading? It looks like the chapters are running about 10-15 minutes each.

Thanks again,

Amy
WiseHive55

Post by WiseHive55 »

jennlea wrote: April 24th, 2021, 7:06 pm I would be happy to be the DPL for this :)
Thanks for volunteering to read this, Jenn! I'm finding it challenging (with those long, complex sentences writers used to be so fond of), but fascinating. She certainly led an interesting, difficult life!

Amy D.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

WiseHive55 wrote: April 27th, 2021, 3:15 pm Hi Jo!

Thanks for MCing this! I've started recording and am excited to upload my first chapters. I entered the section titles, such as they are, in the MW, but have since discovered that 6 more sections need to be added. The final count should be Book IV, Chapter IX.

I'll write a brief teaser synopsis, no problem.

Do I need to do anything else before uploading? It looks like the chapters are running about 10-15 minutes each.

Thanks again,

Amy
Hi Amy. There is a button on the section compiler page to Add New Section that you can use to add sections to the MW. You can fill them in as you add them or do it later. The new sections will go to the bottom of the table, but it needed they can be dragged and dropped to the proper location.

You can start uploading your files whenever you are ready. :)
Jo
WiseHive55

Post by WiseHive55 »

Hi!

I've uploaded the first two chapters/sections:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/womanofgenius_01_austin_128kb.mp3
Running time: 10:43

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/womanofgenius_02_austin_128kb.mp3
Running time: 22:40

Thanks!

Amy D.
WiseHive55

Post by WiseHive55 »

jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Sections 1-3 are all PL-OK!

You have a beautiful voice and reading style :9:

And here is something very serendipitous, the first chapter seemed familiar to me and I discovered that this very book was in my folder of books to eventually read through!

One quick note...when you post the files in the Magic Window go ahead and change the status to "Ready for PL". This will show me on my reader page that you have something available for me to listen to. While I do follow the thread, I often forget the mental notes I make when something is uploaded if I can't listen right away :lol:
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
WiseHive55

Post by WiseHive55 »

jennlea wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 5:23 am Sections 1-3 are all PL-OK!

You have a beautiful voice and reading style :9:

And here is something very serendipitous, the first chapter seemed familiar to me and I discovered that this very book was in my folder of books to eventually read through!

One quick note...when you post the files in the Magic Window go ahead and change the status to "Ready for PL". This will show me on my reader page that you have something available for me to listen to. While I do follow the thread, I often forget the mental notes I make when something is uploaded if I can't listen right away :lol:
Thanks, Jenn! I was unfamiliar with the author (shamed to admit) but am finding the book surprisingly modern, in attitude if not in writing style. Heartbreaking, some of it.

I'll do the MW switchover going forward. Thanks for the heads up!

Amy
WiseHive55

Post by WiseHive55 »

Hi Jenn,

Sections 4 and 5, Book I, are uploaded and ready for listening.

Thank you!
Amy
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Another set of well read sections :clap:

Section 5 is PL-OK!

One quick fix for Section 4:
-The file name has an _01 which will need to be removed then re-uploaded and linked again in the MW.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
WiseHive55

Post by WiseHive55 »

jennlea wrote: May 12th, 2021, 9:27 pm Another set of well read sections :clap:

Section 5 is PL-OK!

One quick fix for Section 4:
-The file name has an _01 which will need to be removed then re-uploaded and linked again in the MW.
Hi Jenn,

I uploaded Section 4 in the MW with the correct file name. Sorry about that!

Thanks!
Amy
WiseHive55

Post by WiseHive55 »

Sections 6, 7 and 8 have been uploaded.

Thanks!

Amy