COMPLETE [SOLO] The Boy Scouts in a Trapper's Camp - lny

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

The Boy Scouts in a Trapper's Camp, by Thornton W. Burgess (1874 - 1965)

Volunteers outside the USA: Thornton W. Burgess died in 1965. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-boy-scouts-in-a-trappers-camp-by-thornton-w-burgess/

We are brought on a couple of adventures with Walter Upton and his Boy Scout friends, this time in Winter. In The Boy Scouts in a Trappers' Camp, the boys learn a whole new set of skills and have to show their greatest level of bravery yet. This is the fourth, and final book in the Boy Scouts' adventures, and does a wonderful job of showing the value that Scouting has brought to their lives in skills they will always have, wisdom upon which they can always build, and memories that they will always cherish. (Summary by Keith Salis )
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/32045

Target completion date: 2021-06-30

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Action & Adventure

Keywords that describe the book: adventure, wilderness, scouting

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Boy Scouts in a Trapper's Camp. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Boy Scouts in a Trapper's Camp, by Thornton W. Burgess. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Boy Scouts in a Trapper's Camp, by Thornton W. Burgess. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Boy Scouts in a Trapper's Camp, by Thornton W. Burgess."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: boyscoutsinatrapperscamp_##_burgess_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. boyscoutsinatrapperscamp_01_burgess_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: linny

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Keratak on May 22nd, 2021, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like a story that we wish was never ending, we know sometime we must reach the final page. Still we carry on just pretending that there'll always be one more book to go. - Fading Lights, Genesis
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

I believe Linny will be MC/DPL on this one.
Like a story that we wish was never ending, we know sometime we must reach the final page. Still we carry on just pretending that there'll always be one more book to go. - Fading Lights, Genesis
linny

Post by linny »

MW is up! We will stay here until I know you have access and then I'll move us to going solo.
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

I just did a quick test, and yes, I have access.
Thanks!
linny

Post by linny »

Going solo it is. I've downloaded the first four section but I may not have a chance to listen for a few days.
linny

Post by linny »

Chapter 1 intro isn't exactly as written but it has all of the main elements so PL OK. Nice start!
linny

Post by linny »

linny wrote: April 21st, 2021, 2:51 pm Chapter 1 intro isn't exactly as written but it has all of the main elements so PL OK. Nice start!I believe I'm going to miss these fellows when we are finished.
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

Thanks.
I also uploaded Ch 5, but I should mention something I did.
You know how he includes situations where the boys show their skills, and they can become teaching aids to show how to do things.
In one of the scenes in Ch5, Hal gets frostbite and Pat treats it by rubbing snow on the skin.
I added a "Reader's note" to say that this is no longer the approved method. The Boy Scouts strongly warn against it in their training these days. I didn't want this thought to stick in one of the listener's memories and have them causing damage.

I hope that's not too out-of-bounds. It was hard enough when they put ointment on a burn in one of the earlier books, but I figured if the kits don't contain ointment these days, they won't try to use it.

Keith
linny

Post by linny »

Keith,
2, 3, and 4 are all PL OK. Oh, that snowball fight sounds as if it would have been grand fun!

5 - no issue with the readers note however there is a repeat at 8:25

6 and 7 are both PL OK.
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

Thanks Linny!
Ch 5 is fixed. I can't believe I missed that.
Ch 8 is ready for PL.
linny

Post by linny »

5 is spot check PL OK.
8 and 9 are PL OK.
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

Chapters 10 and 11 are ready for PL.
linny

Post by linny »

Both 10 and 11 are PL OK. I love a good Christmas story. :9:
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

Chapter 12-14 are ready for PL.
He's giving us a bit of excitement in these...and get gets moreso!
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

Hey Linny,
All Twenty chapters are up!
I've really loved doing these books, and I wish he had more like this.
The smaller kids' books don't seem as interesting.

Have you ever heard of G. A. Henty?
We have a number of his in the LV library, but I found one, Tales of Danger and Daring, that is not yet up. I know we can always make duplicates, but if there are undone books, I like to start with those.
Let me know if you'd like to administer that one.

Keith