[COMPLETE] Psychological Warfare by Paul M.A. Linebarger - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Psychological Warfare, by Paul M. A. Linebarger (1913 - 1966)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/psychological-warfare-by-paul-linebarger/

Volunteers outside the USA: Paul M. A. Linebarger died in 1966. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
Psychological warfare and propaganda have been used extensively in warfare since the earliest times. This book explores the functions, limitations, types, and history of psychological warfare through 1953. It was written by Paul Myron Anthony Linebarger, a US Army officer, a noted East Asia scholar, and an expert in psychological warfare, also known by the pseudonym Cordwainer Smith as a science fiction author. Linebarger had extensive experience with the practice and implementation of psychological warfare techniques in the field through his work with the Office of War Information, the Operation Planning and Intelligence Board, and the CIA.

The text contains many pictured examples of propaganda. The listener is encouraged to view them. (Summary by Karlgermain and TriciaG)
Source text (please read only from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/48612

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of Psychological Warfare. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Psychological Warfare, by Paul M. A. Linebarger. Section Title as written in the Magic Window."
NOTE on figure captions: I'm leaving it to the reader if they think the figure captions are interesting enough for a listener to hear. If you include them, if they're directly mentioned in the text, add the caption at that point; if they're not referred to in the text, please place all figure captions at the end of your section. Use the wording: "Figure ##. [caption text.] End of Figure ##." If there is more than one in a row: "Figure ##. [caption text.] Figure ##. [caption text].... End of figures ##-##." Word counts include the figure captions.

NOTE on footnotes:
Most of them are bibliographical and thus may be omitted. I'll leave it to the reader if the others are interested in enough for the listener to hear. Word counts do not include footnotes.

End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Psychological Warfare, by Paul M. A. Linebarger."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: psychologicalwarfare_##_linebarger_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. psychologicalwarfare_01_linebarger_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moving this to Readers Wanted. We're ready for claims!
HappyBanz

Post by HappyBanz »

Might I start us off with:
Section 0 Preface & Acknowledgements
"Good Morning, and in case I don't see ya: Good Afternoon, Good Evening, and Good Night!" - Truman Burbank
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

HappyBanz wrote: February 26th, 2021, 11:32 pm Might I start us off with:
Section 0 Preface & Acknowledgements
Glad to have you! 8-)
HappyBanz

Post by HappyBanz »

"Good Morning, and in case I don't see ya: Good Afternoon, Good Evening, and Good Night!" - Truman Burbank
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thanks! PL OK. Nicely read!

Are you Canadian? You don't say Lieutenant like an American. :lol:
HappyBanz

Post by HappyBanz »

TriciaG wrote: February 27th, 2021, 5:46 pm Thanks! PL OK. Nicely read!

Are you Canadian? You don't say Lieutenant like an American. :lol:
Yes, I am Canadian. I had to decide which way to say it, and chose 'Leftenant' haha!
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

I'm trying to quit Librivox and you people keep posting these awesome projects!!!

I'd like to start with 21, please?
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Ha ha ha! This is the Hotel California, you know! :lol:
Generoushorse

Post by Generoushorse »

This looks interesting. I'm bookmarking this to pick a chapter later...
Roxy
mmiizzaas

Post by mmiizzaas »

Good evening,

I would like to record the Ch 1a: Historic Examples of Psychological Warfare, Part 1, if possible. It would be my first time, but I have seen that many sections are available for this book.

Thank you! :9:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sure thing!

How would you like to be credited in the catalog? There are places for a catalog name (some use a nickname or forum name, some their real name) and a link to a personal web site or blog, if you have one. I recommend using whatever name you say (if any) when you say, "recorded by [your name]" as that's how listeners will look for you. (Keep in mind that prospective employers, classmates, enemies, etc. can also find you using the catalog name, so be cautious if privacy might be an issue.)
mmiizzaas

Post by mmiizzaas »

I think I'd say Denisa Valeanu. I just used what is familiar to me when using nicknames :D . I even tried to change that after I created the account, but I couldn't do it in the settings section.
mmiizzaas

Post by mmiizzaas »

P.S.

Also, how can I check the copyright for this book in UK? I had a look on Google, but I could not find something helpful. Thank you
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The UK has copyright of Life+70, so anything by an author who died in 1951 or later is still under copyright for the UK. Therefore, this is still copyrighted in the UK.

I take it, you're in the UK? If so, unfortunately, you shouldn't record this project.