COMPLETE [GROUP - Short Stories] Myths and Legends Around the World (in English) Collection 7-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins » January 18th, 2021, 2:59 pm

[GROUP - Short Stories] Myths and Legends Around the World (in English) - Collection 7 by Various ( - ).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/myths-and-legends-around-the-world-collection-7/

You get to choose what you want to read! (All recordings in English) So long as the source is Public Domain for you, any short story or chapter that tells of legends, heroes, myths, folk or ancient lore, is welcome. We are looking for representations of many different cultures within each collection. If you have questions of whether a source is Public Domain for you (remember that if you live outside the U.S., public domain laws may be more strict for you), I recommend asking about that in this project's discussion before you begin recording. Simply post the question with a link to the source you've found. :) Limit of 2 sections per reader in a given Myths & Legends collection. (Lynette Caulkins)
  • Please choose and record any short myth or legend short story in the public domain. For clarification of what it means for a work to be "in the public domain," see this section of the LibriVox Wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Copyright_and_Public_Domain. Try to stay with works that run less than 60 minutes. You may read up to 2 selections per volume in this collection. You may use 2 sections for one myth/legend if that is needed. Multiple versions are welcome, so don't worry whether someone else has recorded your topic already; we're happy to hear the version you found, too. :) Please note that in this collection we do not do reservations on sections, as is typically done with LibriVox group projects. If you wonder about the suitability or public domain status of a story you want to record, feel free to ask questions in the discussion before you do the work of a recording. If this collection fills before you are able to do that recording - No Worries! - the next collection will be open for you. :)

After 12 story recordings are submitted and approved, we will catalog the collection and make it available to the public.

Here is a list of sources that still have chapters available: Potential Sources for Myths and Legends Around the World *Please note that you are absolutely welcome to use other public domain sources. (In fact, bonus points for finding a new source, particularly if it contains cultures not yet represented on the list!)

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430
    Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    Basic Recording Guide: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording
    1. RECORD:
    • At the BEGINNING say: "[Title of Story], in [Name of Book] by [Author Name]" "This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit Librivox.org. (You may also say: "Recorded by [Your Name].") Repeat the [Title of Story].
    • At the END, say: "End of [Title of Story], by [Author Name]"
    • If you wish, you may also say: "Recorded by...your name."
    • Please leave .5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording. Add 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recording.
    2. EDIT and SAVE your file:
    • Need noise-cleaning? See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    • Save or export your recording to an mp3 file at 128kbs. The uploader will add the .mp3 to the end of your file name when it uploads. Please use the format shown. Your file name should have this format before you upload it:

mlaw007_titleofwork_authorlastname_yourinitials_128kb
      (example: mlaw007_daughtersun_fraser_lc_128kb)
    • Keep the file name short! Use just a word or two to identify the title. Omit "a," "the," etc. Don't put spaces between words. Keep everything lower case. Even your initials should be lower case. The only underscores should be the separations between the mlaw volume, title, author's last name, and your initials. There are only 4 underscores in a file name!
    • Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    3. UPLOAD your recording:
    • Upload your finished recording using the LibriVox uploader:
      http://librivox.org/login/uploader. When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - copy and post it to the current nonfiction thread. If you don't post that you've uploaded your recording, the nonfiction book coordinator won't know that you did it!
    • If you have trouble reading the image above, please send a private message to any admin.
    • To upload, you'll need to select the MC, which for the Myths and Legends Around the World - Collection 7 is: maryannspiegel
      After your file is uploaded, it should have this format:
      https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mlaw007_titleofwork_authorlastname_yourinitials_128kb.mp3
      Copy the link of your uploaded file before you leave that page.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page
    When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.

4. POST the following information in this thread:
    • Title of the story.
    • Author of the work.
    • A URL link to the source from which you read (etext URL). NOTE: If posting from Gutenberg, please provide the link to the download page instead of the view of the book, e.g. http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/# (where # is the Gutenberg project number for the book).
    • The link to your recording file that you copied from the uploader.
    • Length in minutes. (mm:ss)
    • If this is your first Librivox recording, we will also need your name as you would like it to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and, if you have a web page and want it linked to your name in the catalog, the URL of the web page.
    5. PROOF LISTENING AND DEADLINE FOR EDITS on recordings you have submitted:
    • The level of proof listening for the nonfiction collection is "standard." We will only proof for technical specs, repeated words or passages that the reader likely intended to edit out, misreads that change the meaning of the text, and such. For a discussion of the levels of proof listening, please see this Wiki page: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Guide_for_Proof-listeners#Levels_of_Proof-listening
    • We ask that you complete any editing requested by the Dedicated Proof Listener within two weeks of the request, or, if you need more time, that you post in this thread to request an extension. There’s absolutely no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. Extensions are, however, at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. To be fair to the other readers, sections which cannot be edited in a timely manner may be deleted from the current volume of the Myths and Legends Around the World Collection, but they can always be included in a future volume when the edits are complete.
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!
    Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by LCaulkins on February 9th, 2021, 12:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~Lynette in Colorado, USA
My Sections
(Covid residuals are lessening, and I am concentrating on Narrator recordings before resuming my solo.)

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins » January 18th, 2021, 7:11 pm

I will also DPL.

Collection 6 is on its last section. :)
My Sections
(Covid residuals are lessening, and I am concentrating on Narrator recordings before resuming my solo.)

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » January 21st, 2021, 8:23 pm

Lynette,
I'll be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
Join us to MARCH to the finish line by completing as many projects as we can during March! This thread tracks our progress and lists projects in need of readers/PLers.

My Librivox solos

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins » January 21st, 2021, 9:06 pm

Thank you, MaryAnn :)
My Sections

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins » January 22nd, 2021, 7:05 am

OK. I've finished finding all the little spots in the examples to adjust for your MC name. This is ready to go in the folder for readers. :)
My Sections

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins » January 22nd, 2021, 8:00 am

For thilak:

Hello, Sindu! I love seeing new volunteers for LibriVox. Welcome, and we're very happy to have your contribution for this collection.

Your recording is wonderful! Thank you for including all the information I needed to enter it into the Magic Window. :)

All specs are correct, your opening and ending silences are correct lengths, decibels are in LV's parameters, no edits are needed in the reading. By the way, the reading is fantastic.

We do need to get the file fixed, though, because your recording came in when Collection 6 was filled up. MaryAnn is MC'ing for us here, instead of Linny, so your recording is in a different area.

Can you please edit the file name to have 007 instead of 004, and then upload it again to the MC maryannspiegel.

I am happy to help if anything is confusing, since you're new in LibriVox.

(I am also sending a private message that includes a linked copy of this discussion and a link to her Reader Page.)
My Sections

thilak

Post by thilak » January 22nd, 2021, 2:50 pm

Last edited by thilak on January 23rd, 2021, 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shobba1008

Post by Shobba1008 » January 23rd, 2021, 7:15 am

Hello,

I would like to volunteer to read some short stories. Specifically the indian fairy tales. have they been assigned already or are the open for anyone to record. Please do let me know so I may pick a story to record. Thank you

Shobha

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins » January 23rd, 2021, 8:27 am

thilak wrote:
January 22nd, 2021, 2:50 pm
Hi,

Here's the recording -

Indian Fairy Tales
Joseph Jacobs
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/7128

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mlaw007_tigerbrahmanjackal_jacobs_tr_128kb.mp3
06:27
Thank you :) This version is loaded and will be reviewed today.
My Sections

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins » January 23rd, 2021, 8:39 am

Shobba1008 wrote:
January 23rd, 2021, 7:15 am
Hello,

I would like to volunteer to read some short stories. Specifically the indian fairy tales. have they been assigned already or are the open for anyone to record. Please do let me know so I may pick a story to record. Thank you

Shobha
Hello, and welcome to LibriVox!

We would love to have your contributions in this ongoing project. :) I highly recommend waiting until one of the helpful folks at the Listeners & Editors Wanted board reviews and OK's your 1-minute submission before doing a story recording. If they haven't already reviewed yours, they should soon.

Collections are a little different from "normal" audiobook projects in that we don't pre-assign sections to readers. We load files as they come in, assuming they are appropriate. They must be Public Domain stories, and they need to fit our overall subject. So, we wouldn't include a chapter from a biography, for example.
In each Collection, you may submit up to 2 recordings. You are absolutely welcome to submit 2 more when the next collection opens!

Readers sometimes tell me which story they're working on when they start to record it, and I'll make a note of it on the Potential Sources list that is linked in the main post just above the Magic Window. That way, people looking through the list know if somebody is already doing something they might consider. If you find a Public Domain source that is not on that list, you are very welcome to use it. Just remember to paste in the link to the source whenever you're posting about a story in the discussion.

I look forward to hearing from you in our collection!
My Sections

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins » January 23rd, 2021, 4:39 pm

thilak wrote:
January 22nd, 2021, 2:50 pm
Hi,

Here's the recording -

Indian Fairy Tales
Joseph Jacobs
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/7128

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mlaw007_tigerbrahmanjackal_jacobs_tr_128kb.mp3
06:27
Nice, Sindu :) The Tiger, the Brahman, and the Jackal is PL OK :thumbs:

Thanks for our first finished story of this collection!
My Sections

Shobba1008

Post by Shobba1008 » January 24th, 2021, 5:37 am

LCaulkins wrote:
January 23rd, 2021, 8:39 am
Shobba1008 wrote:
January 23rd, 2021, 7:15 am
Hello,

Shobha
Hello, and welcome to LibriVox!

We would love to have your contributions in this ongoing project. :) I highly recommend waiting until one of the helpful folks at the Listeners & Editors Wanted board reviews and OK's your 1-minute submission before doing a story recording. If they haven't already reviewed yours, they should soon.

Collections are a little different from "normal" audiobook projects in that we don't pre-assign sections to readers. We load files as they come in, assuming they are appropriate. They must be Public Domain stories, and they need to fit our overall subject. So, we wouldn't include a chapter from a biography, for example.
In each Collection, you may submit up to 2 recordings. You are absolutely welcome to submit 2 more when the next collection opens!

Readers sometimes tell me which story they're working on when they start to record it, and I'll make a note of it on the Potential Sources list that is linked in the main post just above the Magic Window. That way, people looking through the list know if somebody is already doing something they might consider. If you find a Public Domain source that is not on that list, you are very welcome to use it. Just remember to paste in the link to the source whenever you're posting about a story in the discussion.

I look forward to hearing from you in our collection!
Hello,
Thank you so much for your prompt reply and the clear instructions.
yes i have just received feedback on my i minute submission - overall ok, certain tech specs have to corrected and i have to do some noise cleanup. Will make the necessary corrections and repost soon.
Once i get the green signal. I will let you know which story i plan to read and we can move forward from there.
excited.....
Shobha

Talespinner

Post by Talespinner » January 25th, 2021, 8:02 pm

Hi Lynette,

I'd like to read a couple stories for your new collection. I found some things from The Legends of the Jews that would do nicely. Each chapter has several short sections, in fact so short that I could read multiple segments together in each recording. But I'm not sure of the proper etiquette. How would you like me to group them together? Do I include the usual librivox intro, then read each short portion, add an "end of section" announcement to each part and then proceed onto the next segment using the same process until I finish the chapter? Here's the link to one of the books in case you want to take a peek to see what I mean. https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1493

Daryl

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins » January 26th, 2021, 7:29 am

Talespinner wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 8:02 pm
Hi Lynette,

I'd like to read a couple stories for your new collection. I found some things from The Legends of the Jews that would do nicely. Each chapter has several short sections, in fact so short that I could read multiple segments together in each recording. But I'm not sure of the proper etiquette. How would you like me to group them together? Do I include the usual librivox intro, then read each short portion, add an "end of section" announcement to each part and then proceed onto the next segment using the same process until I finish the chapter? Here's the link to one of the books in case you want to take a peek to see what I mean. https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1493

Daryl
Hi, Daryl! It's nice to see you here :)

I looked at the source book. I agree that the sections are so small that it makes more sense to read from this source in entire chapters.

How about you announce the recording using only the chapter title, for example, "The Creation of the World, from The Legends of the Jews, Vol 1, by Louis Ginzberg." While you're reading, announce each section subtitle. This will work best for the listener if you leave a 1.5-2 second pause at the end of each section's ending, then state the next sub-title, leave a shorter pause, and start the subject matter again.

We have a time limit of 72, 73, or 74 minutes (I forget which it is) on our files. So if the chapter is going to go over that time, we can just split it into two sections. It doesn't look like these chapters would, though.

Let me know which ones you want to do, and I'll make a note on the source sheet. :)
My Sections

JessiW

Post by JessiW » January 26th, 2021, 10:11 am

Good morning! If it hasn't been taken, I would like to read the Stores of King Arthur. Here is the link: https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/6323/pg6323.html

Thank you!

Jessica
~Jessica West

"Paths do not only go one way. We choose which direction to take. I refuse to believe that any outside forces can determine the course of my life." - from Illusions of Fate by Kiersten White