COMPLETE[PLAY]Lightnin' by Smith and Bacon - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Lightnin' by Winchell Smith (1871 - 1933) and Frank Bacon (1864 - 1922).

A Western from 1918, that ran over a 1000 shows on Broadway and was made into movies twice. Lightnin' and his wife run a seedy hotel that straddles the Nevada-California state lines, making for an interesting legal situation. When some out-of-town businessmen come to town to try and take advantage of the locals, they discover that there is more savvy in them thar hills than they first thought.
( ToddHW)
  • Howdy, Pardna'. Dust off that Western drawl or get ready to play an out-of-town foreign transplant - and show us your inner cowboy/cowgirl.

Gender neutral. Lariats and six-guns optional. Marked cards very much frowned upon.

Miss Kitty will be minding the doings agoin' on at the hotel saloon, DPLin' your lines while she's sober and kickin' her good-fer-nothin' husband - yup, that be me again - when she's not. Oh, and watch out for our guest sheriff, Son-of-the-exiles, who suggested this play for reasons not entirely clear at this time.

This play is complete. Audio files can be found on our catalog page at https://librivox.org/lightnin-by-winchell-smith/
    1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen. Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uva.x030801547&view=1up&seq=7
      This is also available as a PDF at https://archive.org/details/uva-x030801547-1610320050
    5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
      • Project Code: rZCRIyjX
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Winchell smith) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchell_Smith
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Frank bacon) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Bacon_(actor)
      • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightnin'_(play)
      • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 56
      • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      • Original publication date (if known): 1918
        ============================================

Genres for the project: Plays/Comedy

Keywords that describe the book: western, legal strategies

============================================
      • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
        Channels: 1 (Mono)
        Bit Rate: 128 kbps
        Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
      • Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
        [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:At the beginning: Act [#] of Lightnin' by Winchell Smith and Frank Bacon. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
      • AFTER recording
        Save files as 128 kbps MP3
        lightnin_[role]_[#]_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the act number.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
        • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
          (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
        • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: toddhw
        • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
        • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
        Please post below
      Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

oh already up and running. :shock: I'll tentatively try on my Wild-West boots and play Mrs Jones then. :| And putting this on my DPL list

Sonia
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

Can I play Mildred?

Annie
DR: The Mystery of a Hansom Cab (Readers Wanted)
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

I am without internet at the moment. Not sure for how long.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

our guest sheriff, Son-of-the-exiles, who suggested this play for reasons not entirely clear at this time.”

Todd, I’m fixin’ tuh clean up this hyar town right quick. Y’all are goin’ away till you’re gray, sho’nuff! Pardon me, Miss Kitty, I didn’t mean your fine self.

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Lemuel Townsend please!
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

This looks like fun! I'll play Margaret Davis.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you both.

Todd
benderca

Post by benderca »

Mrs. Jordan please.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Less’n y’all got time to use two syllables, the Sheriff’s department will henceforth be enforcin’ the compulsory use of the contraction “ain’t”.

And don’t none of y’all be caught drawlin’ without due care and attention.

Cheers,
Sheriff Chris
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Hmmm. Methinks our sheriff might be a few bullets short of a six-gun....

Thanks, Lightnin'
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Have you noticed in the original cast list that the guy who played the Sheriff has a name one letter away from being “Sam Colt”?
Dtcastid

Post by Dtcastid »

Hi Todd,
May I claim Mrs. Harper?
Thanks,
Diane
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd