[SOLO]:Smithsonian Institution-United States National Museum-Bulletin 240-mas

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers » November 28th, 2020, 6:42 pm

Smithsonian Institution - United States National Museum - Bulletin 240 Contributions From the Museum of History and Technology Papers 34-44 on Science and Technology by Museum of History and Technology (U.S.) ( - 0).

The scholarly and scientific publications of the United States National Museum include two series: Proceedings of the United States National Museum, and United States National Museum Bulletin.

In these series, the Museum publishes original articles and monographs dealing with the collections and work of its constituent museums—
The Museum of Natural History and the Museum of History and Technology.
These are gathered in volumes, octavo in size, with the publication date of each paper recorded in the table of contents of the volume.

Since 1959, in Bulletins titled “Contributions from the Museum of History and Technology,” have been gathered shorter papers relating to the collections and research of that Museum. The present collection of Contributions, Papers 34-44, comprises Bulletin 240.
  • The 1893 Duryea automobile in the Museum of History and Technology, by Don H. Berkebile
  • The Borghesi astronomical clock in the Museum of History and Technology, by Silvio A. Bedini
  • The engineering contributions of Wendel Bollman, by Robert M. Vogel
  • Screw-thread cutting by the master-screw method since 1480, by Edwin A. Battison
  • The earliest electromagnetic instruments, by Robert A. Chipman
  • Fulton's "steam battery" blockship and catamaran, by Howard I. Chapelle
  • History of phosphorus, by Eduard Farber
  • Tunnel engineering, a museum treatment, by Robert M. Vogel
  • The "Pioneer": light passenger locomotive of 1851 in the Museum of History and Technology, by John H. White
  • History of the Division of Medical Sciences, by Sami Hamarneh
  • Development of gravity pendulums in the 19th century, by Victor F. Lenzen and Robert P. Multhauf.
( Realisticspeakers)
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/40782
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    =
    =
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Smithsonian Institution - United States National Museum - Bulletin 240 Contributions From the Museum of History and Technology Papers 34-44 on Science and Technology . This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Smithsonian Institution - United States National Museum - Bulletin 240 Contributions From the Museum of History and Technology Papers 34-44 on Science and Technology , by Museum of History and Technology (U.S.). [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Smithsonian Institution - United States National Museum - Bulletin 240 Contributions From the Museum of History and Technology Papers 34-44 on Science and Technology by Museum of History and Technology (U.S.). This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Smithsonian Institution - United States National Museum - Bulletin 240 Contributions From the Museum of History and Technology Papers 34-44 on Science and Technology , by Museum of History and Technology (U.S.). "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  4. Example filename smithsonianbulletin240_##_various_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » November 28th, 2020, 7:12 pm

I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn

realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers » November 28th, 2020, 7:31 pm

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:
November 28th, 2020, 7:12 pm
I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
Thank you.
I couldn't find others in the catalog to futz with the filename. I think it could be shortened?

Also, I might need a few more sections than stated, some of those are long, have appendices that I might read, and other sections.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » November 28th, 2020, 7:48 pm

I've shortened the file name.

And you can add sections to the MW as needed. Click the "add new section" button at the top.

And I've changed the title in the file name to various. It's ok of you read the intros by referencing the museum. PG has the author as anonymous, but I don't think that's right because someone wrote each article.

MaryAnn

realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers » November 28th, 2020, 8:33 pm

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:
November 28th, 2020, 7:48 pm
I've shortened the file name.

And you can add sections to the MW as needed. Click the "add new section" button at the top.

And I've changed the title in the file name to various. It's ok of you read the intros by referencing the museum. PG has the author as anonymous, but I don't think that's right because someone wrote each article.

MaryAnn
Perfect. Thanks!
Disclaimer:

realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers » December 5th, 2020, 12:31 pm

Disclaimer:

realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers » December 7th, 2020, 7:07 pm

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:
It took 4 sections to finally nail down a sensible introduction.
I'm going to change "Chapter" to "Section" because they are "books", in multiple parts.

There is U.S in parentheses. Can I just do away with that?
I was saying United States in the previous introductions but ...

Does this look good to you?
Section 4 of Smithsonian Institution -
United States National Museum -
Bulletin 240 Contributions From the Museum of History and Technology
Papers 34-44 on Science and Technology
by Museum of History and Technology (U.S.).
This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain.

PAPER 35 Part 1
THE BORGHESI ASTRONOMICAL CLOCK
IN THE MUSEUM OF HISTORY AND TECHNOLOGY
by Silvio A. Bedini
If this looks good, I'll modify the previous ones.
Disclaimer:

realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers » December 7th, 2020, 7:09 pm

realisticspeakers wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 7:07 pm
MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:
It took 4 sections to finally nail down a sensible introduction.
I'm going to change "Chapter" to "Section" because they are a compendium of "papers", in multiple parts.

There is U.S in parentheses. Can I just do away with that?
I was saying United States in the previous introductions but ...

Does this look good to you?
Section 4 of Smithsonian Institution -
United States National Museum -
Bulletin 240 Contributions From the Museum of History and Technology
Papers 34-44 on Science and Technology
by Museum of History and Technology (U.S.).
This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain.

PAPER 35 Part 1
THE BORGHESI ASTRONOMICAL CLOCK
IN THE MUSEUM OF HISTORY AND TECHNOLOGY
by Silvio A. Bedini
If this looks good, I'll modify the previous ones.
Disclaimer:

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » December 7th, 2020, 8:35 pm

Yes, it looks good. And I think if you have already said "United States National Museum", no don't need to say US later on in the intro.

MaryAnn

linny
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by linny » December 12th, 2020, 8:52 am

That is one heck of an intro. I can't DPL but I have some time today to help out.

Section 0 is PL OK. Note: the file length is different than that in the MW (3:23).

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » December 12th, 2020, 9:23 am

Thank you Linny.
MaryAnn

linny
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by linny » December 12th, 2020, 9:44 am

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 9:23 am
Thank you Linny.
MaryAnn
Thank you, MaryAnn. You are always so kind. :9:

Mitch,
Section 1 is also PL OK. This is a very interesting project. Until you get a DPL I'll be back when I can in order to PL for you.

realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers » December 12th, 2020, 11:31 am

linny wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 9:44 am

Mitch,
Section 1 is also PL OK. This is a very interesting project. Until you get a DPL I'll be back when I can in order to PL for you.

That is one heck of an intro. I can't DPL but I have some time today to help out.

Section 0 is PL OK. Note: the file length is different than that in the MW (3:23).

thank you! yeah that intro was a mmmmouthful.
Disclaimer:

linny
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by linny » December 12th, 2020, 2:52 pm

Section 2 is PL OK.

Optional note: 1:08 – Groton, CT is pronounced Grah-ton. You likely don’t care and it has no impact to the reading but it caught my ear. My husband used to work there.

Honestly, I only included this note because it’s so rare you get PL notes. I don’t want you to feel you were being discriminated against. :wink:

I'm out for the night. I hope you get a DPL soon. It's a very interesting project. I'll check on you when I can until a DPL claims you.

realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers » December 12th, 2020, 3:58 pm

linny wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 2:52 pm
Section 2 is PL OK.

Optional note: 1:08 – Groton, CT is pronounced Grah-ton. You likely don’t care and it has no impact to the reading but it caught my ear. My husband used to work there.

Honestly, I only included this note because it’s so rare you get PL notes. I don’t want you to feel you were being discriminated against. :wink:

I'm out for the night. I hope you get a DPL soon. It's a very interesting project. I'll check on you when I can until a DPL claims you.
I will fix that. Just one little thing can ruin the whole story for the listener. But I'm from Brooklyn, whaddo I know?

Thank you so much.

I'm always open to any and all commentary, criticism, and 'call-outs'--such as not to offend the natives.
Disclaimer: