[COMPLETE] The Black Panther by John Hall Wheelock - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

The Black Panther by John Hall Wheelock (1886 - 1978).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-black-panther-by-john-hall-wheelock/

Volunteers outside the USA: John Hall Wheelock died in 1978. His work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1954) or Canada (author's death plus 50 years).
John Hall Wheelock is an American poet who during his student years at Harvard University was editor-in-chief of The Harvard Monthly, and began to publish his first poems. He later worked for publisher Charles Sribner and Sons finally becoming senior editor. He received many awards for his poetry including the Golden Rose in 1936 for the most distinguished contribution to American poetry of that year. The poems in The Black Panther reveal a deep spirituality but also a strong humanistic reach, sometimes dark and sometimes celebratory and full of joy. The collection begins with the powerful title poem and consists of three sections: Dim Wisdoms, Space and Solitude, The Lost Traveller’s Dream, and The Divine Fantasy. ( Larry Wilson)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/63622
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
      [*] Project Code: 7LIZIBOB

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (John Hall Wheelock) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hall_Wheelock
      [*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
      [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 46
      [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      [*]Original publication date (if known): 1922
      [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================ [/size]

Genres for the project: Poetry/Single author; Poetry/Lyric

Keywords that describe the book: literature, verses, American poetry, rhymes, 1914, religious poetry

============================================
  • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  • DURING recording:
    • No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    • At the beginning of the recording, read the abbreviated "LibriVox disclaimer":
    "[Poem title], by John Hall Wheelock read for LibriVox.org" by [your name] or some variation on that, adding date, location, your personal URL, etc., if you wish.
    • Then read the poem.
    • At the end, say: "End of poem. This recording is in the public domain." and leave five seconds of silence.
    At the end of the book, also say, "End of The Black Panther by John Hall Wheelock"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
[*]AFTER recording
Need noise-cleaning?
Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
Save files as
128 kbps MP3
blackpanther_##_wheelock_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. blackpanther_01_wheelock_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: icequeen
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
~ Larry
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Hi Larry, I can MC this one for you! Back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, your MW is ready for you! We will wait here a day or two to see if we can pick a DPL.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thank you so much, Ann!

The MW is populated and we are ready for readers and a DPL.
~ Larry
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Could I take on 15, The Buried Dream and 27, Pilgrim?

Thanks,

M
reyeball

Post by reyeball »

does this project need a dpl? I would be happy to do it.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

mleigh wrote: November 21st, 2020, 8:48 am Could I take on 15, The Buried Dream and 27, Pilgrim?

Thanks,

M
Glad to have you!
Thanks.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

reyeball wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 4:32 pm does this project need a dpl? I would be happy to do it.
I'd be glad to have you join as DPL.
We haven't worked together, so I will send you a PM to make sure we're on the same page for expectations.
~ Larry
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

reyeball is in as DPL, thank you! And, we are off to Short Works!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
mimi0813

Post by mimi0813 »

Hi,
I would like to do #14 please.

Michelle Thompson
ALYSSAKATEJ

Post by ALYSSAKATEJ »

Hello! May I please claim section 1? This is my first recording, so can my name under the catalog appear as Alyssa Kate. Thank you. :)
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

mimi0813 wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 12:42 pm Hi,
I would like to do #14 please.

Michelle Thompson
You've got it.
Thanks!
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

ALYSSAKATEJ wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 2:33 pm Hello! May I please claim section 1? This is my first recording, so can my name under the catalog appear as Alyssa Kate. Thank you. :)
Thank you for your interest in this project.
We do, however, request that our new readers first complete a one-minute test recording to check out all of your technical specifications and any reading issues.

From the instructions for this, and all, projects under Point 2

New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!

Among the useful information there you will find instructions for completing your test recording. Once you have the "OK" on that, let me know and you are free to record for this project. I will go ahead and add you, so this will be ready for you.
~ Larry
mimi0813

Post by mimi0813 »

Here is my submission for today.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/blackpanther_014_wheelock_128kb.mp3 1:51

Thank you,
Michelle Thompson
emmaranderson19

Post by emmaranderson19 »

Hello! I would like to read sections three and four; The Sorrowful Masquerade and October Moonlight. This is my first reading so if possible I would love to have my name appear as Emma Anderson in the catalog. Thank you!