COMPLETE[PLAY]The Author's Farce by Fielding - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

The Author's Farce by Henry Fielding (1707 - 1754).

Henry Fielding could not write plays that he could get published. So he decided to write a play - a farce - about that, and success was his at last. The third act of the play is the play that the Author in the play supposedly writes - a Puppet Show (though acted by people) called The Pleasures of the Town. ( ToddHW)
  • This project is Complete. Audio files can be found on our catalog page at https://librivox.org/the-authors-farce-by-henry-fielding/

So y'all liked Tom Thumb, eh? Here is another by Fielding - his first success.

And yes, the third act is supposedly a Puppet Show all about London Life. So lottsa characters on stage in that act. If you have a character in acts 1 and/or 2 that does not appear in act 3, then feel free to pick another part in act 3. I will also entertain requests to have more than one role in act 3 if you can convince me that you will not be talking to yourself.

Gender neutral, of course.

Kitty will be, of course, Cat, and she gets the last word in the play as well as being our very furry DPL. She has been sharpening her claws just waiting for this opportunity, so watch out!

Note: at the bottom of each page is a copy of the first word on the next page. Ignore it.

Remember, chanting, not singing, for the various Airs, particularly in Act 3

There are a buncha OMNES lines in Act 3. Record them if you think you are onstage then, and I'll sort it all out later.

Finally, I am very sorry but the script has those old style long "s" letters than look just like "f". (I found other scripts of the play with modern letters, but they don't include the Puppet Show.) The script also sometimes uses different abbreviations for roles on different pages. Deal with it.

1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen. Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/authorsfarcewith00fiel/page/n5/mode/2up
    5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
      • Project Code: YUqERgPp
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Henry Fielding) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Fielding
      • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Author's_Farce
      • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 60
      • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      • Original publication date (if known): 1750
        ============================================

Genres for the project: Plays/Comedy/Satire

Keywords that describe the book: getting published, puppet show, london life

============================================
      • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
        Channels: 1 (Mono)
        Bit Rate: 128 kbps
        Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
      • Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
        [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:At the beginning: Act [#] of The Author's Farce by Henry Fielding. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
      • AFTER recording
        Save files as 128 kbps MP3
        authorsfarce_[role]_[#]_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the act number.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
        • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
          (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
        • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: toddhw
        • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
        • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
        Please post below
      Thanks, Todd
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Marplay Senior and Punch please :D
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

getting this on my DPL list as well as bracing myself to find all those words that were mispronounced because of this diabolical long s :lol:

guys, be vigilant - don't make it too hard on me.

oh and yes, I'd go for the kitten in the puppet show (I'll practice my meow) and Mrs Moneywood

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

I think this play may owe something to the Beggars Opera as some of the airs in act 3 are the same.

I could do Signior Opera's (spoken) songs as well as I don't think he is on with Punch 😺
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

I would like to read the Goddess of Nonsense.

(When I had business cards, that should have been one of the titles I included on them...)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

alanmapstone wrote: October 23rd, 2020, 12:03 pm I think this play may owe something to the Beggars Opera as some of the airs in act 3 are the same.

I could do Signior Opera's (spoken) songs as well as I don't think he is on with Punch 😺
I made your other claims, but Opera seem interleaved too much with Punch for listeners to follow well if the same voice. Sorry.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

ktaylor07 wrote: October 23rd, 2020, 3:33 pm I would like to read the Goddess of Nonsense.

(When I had business cards, that should have been one of the titles I included on them...)
I do love that name!

Thanks, Todd
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I don't like cross dressing, but could I play Marplay Junior, the comedian, anyway?

And if you allow for the same voices in the 3rd Act, I could do Mrs. Novel if that's okay.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

This sounds like fun! I can't resist. May I play Harriot?
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I can't resist.
Ah, that's the reaction I aim for. Thank you.

Todd
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

Here's the Goddess of Nonsense..

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/actorsfarce_goddessofnonsence_03_128kb.mp3

I hope I didn't skip any lines, but I'm not very confident of that right now. I had trouble deciphering the line assignments in some spots. The "puppet show" was very funny, though, and should be hilarious when it's assembled.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. You get this project's award for first file in.

Todd
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

ToddHW wrote: October 24th, 2020, 11:57 am Thank you. You get this project's award for first file in.

Todd
For this project, I'm guessing that would be a virtual glass of sour ale and a brightly festooned tricorn cap, right?
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

May I read Scarecrow?
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms