Complete - [SOLO] In Excelsis by Lord Alfred Douglas - lny

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

In Excelsis by Lord Alfred Douglas (1870 - 1945).
All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/in-excelsis-by-lord-alfred-douglas/
In 1924, Lord Alfred Douglas was sued by Winston Churchill after he alleged that the politician had been part of a Jewish-backed conspiracy to commit various acts of wartime misconduct. Douglas lost the case and was jailed for six months. During his time at Wormwood Scrubs, Douglas wrote a sonnet sequence that he would title In Excelsis (in the highest), a reversal of the title of the prison letter written by his former lover, Oscar Wilde (De Profundis - from the depths). Douglas claims in the preface to the volume that the poems are spiritual in nature. They also include poorly disguised attacks on Wilde and support for anti-Semitic conspiracy theories. (Rob Marland)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.$b112102&view=1up&seq=7
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Poetry/Single author

Keywords that describe the book: anti-Semitism, prison, winston churchill, lord alfred douglas

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of In Excelsis. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "In Excelsis, by Lord Alfred Douglas. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of In Excelsis by Lord Alfred Douglas. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of In Excelsis, by Lord Alfred Douglas. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename inexcelsis_##_douglas_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. inexcelsis_01_douglas_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: yy - yyyyy
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by RobMarland on September 26th, 2020, 8:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rob Marland reader section | website
linny

Post by linny »

Ho Rob,
I'll MC this for you. I've been putting off closing out your Oscar Wilde v6 project so I'll reuse that MW here. It will take me a few extra minutes.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

linny wrote: September 19th, 2020, 6:39 am Ho Rob,
I'll MC this for you. I've been putting off closing out your Oscar Wilde v6 project so I'll reuse that MW here. It will take me a few extra minutes.
MC magic!
linny

Post by linny »

My goodness, I think I've done it. Now to go and finish closing out the old project. :D
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Thanks a lot, Linette!
linny

Post by linny »

It was actually no problem. I haven't reused a project number before so I was wondering what kind of mess I would make but it all went smoothly.

We will hang here a day or so and see if anyone comes along and claims for DPL.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

All files now ready for PL.
linny

Post by linny »

RobMarland wrote: September 20th, 2020, 1:29 am All files now ready for PL.
Rob, have you posted in listeners wanted? Let me know if you need help with that.
linny

Post by linny »

linny wrote: September 25th, 2020, 6:15 am
RobMarland wrote: September 20th, 2020, 1:29 am All files now ready for PL.
Rob, have you posted in listeners wanted? Let me know if you need help with that.
I have some time today. I'll DPL.
linny

Post by linny »

All are PL OK. I'll get started on cataloging.

Your background noise is within range however it is much higher than I typically hear. Have you ever tried using the plot spectrum tool in Audacity? I like it. It helps me refine my noise-cleaning without the risk of my over processing and changing the voice quality. If you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzVxubRO4gI
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Thanks!

I’ll have a look at the video. Also, I updated the summary after reading the book, so it’s different to the one on file.
linny

Post by linny »

I updated the summary. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/in-excelsis-by-lord-alfred-douglas/ Please let me know if you see anything else that needs to be corrected.

Congratulations :clap: