COMPLETE[PLAY]The Birth of Merlin by Shakespeare and Rowley - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

The Birth of Merlin: The Childe Hath Found His Father by William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616) and William Rowley (1585-1626).

Merlin. King Arthur. War betwist British and Saxons. Uther Pendragon. Collapsing castle foundations, Magicians and spirits and fighting dragons and a blazing comet. Good entertaining stuff.

But is it Shakespeare?

The 1662 first edition of this play says it was written by William Shakespeare and William Rowley. It doesn't appear that anyone any longer believes that Shakespeare was actually involved, and probably this is entirely Rowley - who co-authored plays with a fair number of other authors of the period. Rowley also acted in London troupes, including Shakespeare's The King's Players, often in low comedy Clown parts he wrote for himself such as is found in this play.
( ToddHW)
  • This project is complete. Audio files can be found on our catalog page at https://librivox.org/the-birth-of-merlin-the-childe-hath-found-his-father-by-william-shakespeare/

Not sure what to do this weekend? Finished all the recording for the many other plays on offer? Well then, howsabout a (probably) fake Shakespeare? From a book of the best 14 (!) fakes - who knows, we might do more of them later...

Gender neutral, of course, with Kitty playing Merlin's mother as well as DPL'ing all your thee's and thou's: This play has wizards and dragons at her command so don't get her upset!

(By the way, for this play, where there are a number of small parts, multiple small role parts claims are allowed.)

1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen. Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/shakespeareapoc00broouoft/page/350/mode/2up
    5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
      • Project Code: 7X6pBPVn
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (William Shakespeare) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Shakespeare
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (William Rowley) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Rowley
      • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Birth_of_Merlin
      • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 91
      • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      • Original publication date (if known): 1662
        ============================================

Genres for the project: Plays/Drama

Keywords that describe the book: King Arthur, merlin, pendragon, shakespeare fake

============================================
      • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
        Channels: 1 (Mono)
        Bit Rate: 128 kbps
        Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
      • Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
        [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:At the beginning: Act [#] of The Birth of Merlin: The Childe Hath Found His Father, by William Shakespeare and William Rowley. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#]. At end of play, add "End of The Birth of Merlin: The Childe Hath Found His Father", by William Shakespeare and William Rowley

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
      • AFTER recording
        Save files as 128 kbps MP3
        birthofmerlin_[role]_[#]_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the act number.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
        • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
          (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
        • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: toddhw
        • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
        • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
        Please post below
      Thanks, Todd
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Oh, how interesting - with the devil being Merlin's father... :shock:

Could I do Lucina - Queen of the Shades please? I wonder how she's involved. :mrgreen:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

This certainly caught my eye. Enjoy.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

signing up for Merlin's mum (possibly the most important character in the Arthurian legends :lol: ) and getting this on my DPL list.

How anybody could believe this is Shakespeare is a mystery to me :shock:

I see I have you as my abusive brother, Todd ... oh my... you will surely enjoy getting your pay-back for all the underdog vicars, brothers, husbands, etc... all throughout the years

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

May I read Merlin?
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: July 30th, 2020, 4:53 am
How anybody could believe this is Shakespeare is a mystery to me :shock:

Sonia
Look at the title page (back one page from the text link). How could it possibly be wrong?

Thanks, Todd

(Oh, yes, and that pay-back thing. We'll see....)
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

ToddHW wrote: July 30th, 2020, 7:09 am
Kitty wrote: July 30th, 2020, 4:53 am How anybody could believe this is Shakespeare is a mystery to me :shock:
Look at the title page (back one page from the text link). How could it possibly be wrong?
But this was not published until 50 years after Shakespeare's death :hmm: How could anyone know by then?
Alan
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

I note that Merlin is referred to as
" A Childe born with a beard on his face" :hmm:
Alan
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Something from the darkside.
I think I'd like to be a hermit this time, if I could.
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Todd wrote:
"Not sure what to do this weekend? Finished all the recording for the many other plays on offer? Well then, howsabout a (probably) fake Shakespeare? From a book of the best 14 (!) fakes - who knows, we might do more of them later..."

Edward III and Two Noble Kinsmen have been done on LV. Arden of Feversham is a good play (I saw it at Stratford) and Sir John Oldcastle would be fun (the original Falstaff)
Alan
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Yeah, there is a good (opinionated) intro in the book as to which of the plays are likely any good. As well as descriptions of all the other fakes that are not in the magic 14 included.

Thanks, Todd
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

May I play the devil? :twisted:
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

first roles in ! Here is Merlin's mum ! The poor woman spends the first acts looking desperately for the father of her child...in the end she didn't get what she bargained for :? gave me a cool opportunity to be dramatic in the final act though :lol: Also I'm not always too sweet with you, brother, so take care how you talk to me ! :evil:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/birthofmerlin_joan_2_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 2:57 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/birthofmerlin_joan_3_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 3:05 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/birthofmerlin_joan_4_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1:29 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/birthofmerlin_joan_5_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1:40 min.

Sonia