[COMPLETE] An American Vendetta by T. C. Crawford - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

An American Vendetta: A Story of Barbarism in the United States by T. C. Crawford (1849 - 1925).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/an-american-vendetta-by-theron-clark-crawford/
The phrase "The Hatfields and McCoys" conjures up images of feudal warfare and Appalachian backwardness even to this day. This is a sensationalized account of the feud between the Hatfields and McCoys along the mountainous border of Kentucky and West Virginia in the late 1800s. At the height of the feud in 1888, yellow journalist T. C. Crawford interviewed Anderson "Devil Anse" Hatfield in person at his headquarters in West Virginia. Crawford's stories were serialized in a New York newspaper and later published in book form.

The accounts of the Hatfields and McCoys led to the still-common stereotype of the ignorant, backward, trigger-happy mountaineer. While the violence in the Wild West was romanticized, the violence in the Appalachians was vilified. The resulting sentiment was that the mountain folk needed civilizing, which the railroad and coal mining capitalists were eager to provide . . . in exchange for their land, autonomy, and generally happy way of life. (Summary by TriciaG)

NOTE: There are two chapters named "Chapter III" and no Chapter V in this book. The two Chapter Threes have been labeled as Chapter IIIa and IIIb.
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://books.google.ca/books?id=ighFAQAAMAAJ
    (PDF may be downloaded from Google Books. If it's inaccessible to you, here's an alt text link: https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/100577513 )
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Section[number] of An American Vendetta. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "An American Vendetta: A Story of Barbarism in the United States, by T. C. Crawford. Chapter [number], {part [number] if applicable}."

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Section [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of An American Vendetta: A Story of Barbarism in the United States, by T. C. Crawford. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    americanvendetta_##_crawford_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. americanvendetta_01_crawford_128kb.mp3)
    Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
johnb2

Post by johnb2 »

hi

Preface and Chapter 1 Please
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yay! Our first customer! 8-) Thanks!
johnb2

Post by johnb2 »

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sections 0 and 1 PL OK. Thanks!
jcflory

Post by jcflory »

May I try chapter 2 please? I'm brand new...this would be my first recording. In case you'd like to hear it, here is my one minute test that was just approved in the new readers forum. If you'd like any of my settings changed, just let me know. Thank you!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_jcflory.mp3

-Josie
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Ha! I'm the one that worked with you on the test. No worries about me wanting to change your settings. :lol:

How would you like to be credited in the catalog? There are places for a catalog name (some use a nickname or pesudonym, some their real name, some their forum username) and a link to a personal web site or blog, if you have one. I recommend using whatever name you say (if any) when you say, "recorded by [your name]" as that's how listeners will look for you. (Keep in mind that prospective employers, classmates, enemies, etc. can also find you using the catalog name, so be cautious if privacy might be an issue.)
jcflory

Post by jcflory »

So funny, I didn't realize it was you that was in charge of this book! Well that makes it easy with my audio settings. I think I'll just go with my forum username jcflory for now. So I'll say "recorded by J C Flory" when I record. I don't have anything that I'd like to link to in terms of website, blog, etc. Thanks for all your help today...wish me luck!

P.S. I have no problem with constructive criticism, so don't hesitate. If I need to redo Chapter 2 a couple of times, it is no big deal. It's super short so I thought it'd be a good starting point for me.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Great!

Here's your catalog page: https://librivox.org/reader/14481

If you go there and click on Reader Section Details, it'll show you a list of the sections you've signed up for and at what stage of the process they're in. :)

Good luck - and have fun!
JessicaHendra

Post by JessicaHendra »

Hi! This will be my first recording since my test was ok'ed. My user name is Jessica Hendra so I will use that name and if it is still available I will take Chapter IIIa, Part 1-10 pgs; pdf 25-34 to "means of offering a reward."
Thanks so much for all your help with the tech stuff. I don't have anything right now that I would like to link in terms of website or blog etc.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sure thing! You're in for section 3. :)

Here's your reader page: https://librivox.org/reader/14555

If you go there and click on Reader Section Details, it'll show you a list of the sections you've signed up for and at what stage of the process they're in. :)
vickivm

Post by vickivm »

Hi Tricia, may I claim Section 11, Chapter VII pages 95-99? I am new and this will be my first try. I use the name vickivm. Thank you, Vicki
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You're in for section 11. Thanks!
vickivm

Post by vickivm »

vickivm wrote: June 23rd, 2020, 11:52 am Hi Tricia, may I claim Section 11, Chapter VII pages 95-99? I am new and this will be my first try. I use the name vickivm. Thank you, Vicki
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/americanvendetta_11_crawford_128kb.mp3

Hi Tricia,

This is my first "real" recording and would really appreciate any advice or help you could send my way. I don't mind any constructive criticism you want to send my way.

Section 11 @ 6:32

Thank you very much,

Vicki
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thank you! PL OK!

As for constructive criticism, the only two things I'll mention (and they're both minor) are these:

1) maybe a little more pause between the intro and the text, and at the end, the text and the outro. I didn't notice you rushing through changes of scene in the text itself, so that was fine, and this is a very minor quibble.

2) maybe take a little more time to inhale. Some of your breaths are a bit loud and gaspy. Not a big deal, either - but you asked for things to improve, so I pulled out this one. ;)