(Complete) Short Story Collection 088 - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 19798
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » May 18th, 2020, 9:56 am

Short Story Collection 088 by Various ( - 0).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/short-story-collection-088-by-various/
Once more, we bring you a stellar collection of short stories, selected and read by Librivox readers. Joining regular favorites, such as Kate Chopin and Charles Dickens, we bring you Alexander Pushkin, Henry Iliowizi and Thomas Bailey Aldrich, among others. ( )
  • There is no need to pre-claim
    New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!

    You may select any Public Domain text. If you are uncertain as to copyright status, please ask.

    Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard



    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!


    Magic Window:



    BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): ( Various) : n/a
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 20
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
  • Original publication date (if known):
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================

Genres for the project: Short Stories/Anthologies

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================

[*]BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz


[*]DURING recording:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
START of recording (Intro)
"Title of Work], by [Author Name]. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]" . Title of work.

END of recording

"At the end of the section, say:
"End of [Title], by [Author Name]"
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Please leave about 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recording. Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
AFTER recording
Need noise-cleaning?
Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
Save files as
128 kbps MP3
ss088_shorttitleinoneword_readersinitials_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) (e.g. ss088_greatstory_lt_128kb.mp3)


Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
    Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet

    Please post in this thread:
    The link from the uploader.
    Name of your story
    Author (birth year - death year)
    Translator if applicable (birth year - death year)
    Source from which you read (e.g. Gutenberg etext url)
    Length in mm:ss
    If it is your first submission, how you would like to appear in the catalog. - please post it in this thread.
    Any questions?
    Please post below

ktaylor07
Posts: 280
Joined: January 3rd, 2020, 12:33 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Post by ktaylor07 » May 19th, 2020, 10:58 am

“The Sculptor’s Triumph”
From “The Clergyman's Wife, and Other Sketches. A Collection of Pen Portraits and Paintings” (1867)

Anna Cora Mowatt Ritchie (1819-1870)
Text URL: https://archive.org/details/clergymanswifeot00ritcrich/page/44/mode/2up
MP3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/ss088_sculptorstriumo_kst_128kb.mp3
Length: 31:25

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 19798
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » May 19th, 2020, 4:43 pm

ktaylor07 wrote:
May 19th, 2020, 10:58 am
“The Sculptor’s Triumph”
From “The Clergyman's Wife, and Other Sketches. A Collection of Pen Portraits and Paintings” (1867)

Anna Cora Mowatt Ritchie (1819-1870)
Text URL: https://archive.org/details/clergymanswifeot00ritcrich/page/44/mode/2up
MP3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/ss088_sculptorstriumo_kst_128kb.mp3
Length: 31:25
Thank you

MangoChutney
Posts: 5
Joined: April 18th, 2020, 8:57 pm

Post by MangoChutney » May 19th, 2020, 6:16 pm

Hello All,

I was wondering: how do you know exactly which text to be reading in each section? Out of which book? What would be an example of the next chapter that has to be read in this work?

Thank You

cherylstewart
Posts: 2081
Joined: October 8th, 2011, 3:39 pm

Post by cherylstewart » May 20th, 2020, 11:24 am

Section 1 "The Sculptor's Triumph" PL OK
Cheryl

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 19798
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » May 20th, 2020, 2:37 pm

MangoChutney wrote:
May 19th, 2020, 6:16 pm
Hello All,

I was wondering: how do you know exactly which text to be reading in each section? Out of which book? What would be an example of the next chapter that has to be read in this work?

Thank You
In these collections (this is for short fiction, but there are others... non-fiction, children’s, horror, sci-fi) there is no set text. The reader is charged with finding a public domain text and recording it in under 60 minutes-ish. If you’d like to contribute, I’d recommend starting at projectgutenberg.org. They have “bookshelves” you can search. There are many short story collections and also periodicals often have stories. If you do this, we need the link to the text so it can be added to the metadata.

Depending on your location, finding a text on PG should be enough... they are all Public Domain in the US. If you are in a different country, you need to satisfy Public Domain laws in the US and the country where you are located.

Ambsweet13
Posts: 177
Joined: May 18th, 2020, 12:55 pm
Location: Massachusetts, USA

Post by Ambsweet13 » May 21st, 2020, 11:57 am

Hello,
I was looking to record a few of the Sherlock Holmes short stories that haven't been recorded on Librivox. I was thinking about starting with this one.
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2344/2344-h/2344-h.htm
Would this be the right place to do this?
A.M.B. :roll:
Readers wanted for The Young Idea
Current Solo Project Cape Cod

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 19798
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » May 21st, 2020, 12:29 pm

Ambsweet13 wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 11:57 am
Hello,
I was looking to record a few of the Sherlock Holmes short stories that haven't been recorded on Librivox. I was thinking about starting with this one.
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2344/2344-h/2344-h.htm
Would this be the right place to do this?
You can certainly add that to this collection. In previous collections, we have had several Sherlock Holmes stories but I am not seeing that particular one. In any case, even if someone had recorded it before, you could still submit it...we just don't use the same story twice in the same collection. If by some strange coincidence two people submit the same story, I would use the first, and hold the second one over for the following collection.

Grothmann
Posts: 752
Joined: March 20th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Post by Grothmann » May 23rd, 2020, 2:46 pm

Hi:

The Blind Man
by Kate Chopin
Read by Dale Grothmann
Time : 6:06

Audio at--
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/ss088_blindman_dg_128kb.mp3

Text at
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Blind_Man_(Chopin)
Originally appeared in Vogue, 13 May 1897
(they assume, because the author died more than 100 years ago, that this is out of copyright)

Thanks
Dale

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 19798
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » May 23rd, 2020, 2:52 pm

Grothmann wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 2:46 pm
Hi:

The Blind Man
by Kate Chopin
Read by Dale Grothmann
Time : 6:06

Audio at--
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/ss088_blindman_dg_128kb.mp3

Text at
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Blind_Man_(Chopin)
Originally appeared in Vogue, 13 May 1897
(they assume, because the author died more than 100 years ago, that this is out of copyright)

Thanks
Dale
Thank you.
Wiki source is not a reliable source and we generally do not accept it. I will check it out and see if we can include it.

Grothmann
Posts: 752
Joined: March 20th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Post by Grothmann » May 23rd, 2020, 3:13 pm

Hi again.

Gutenberg is missing many great stories. I hope you can get these cleared.

The Night Came Slowly (1895)
by Kate Chopin
Published 1895
Read by Dale Grothmann
time 2:56

Audio at--
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/ss088_nightcameslowly_dg_128kb.mp3

Text at --
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Night_Came_Slowly

In either case, thank you for all your work.
Dale

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 19798
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » May 23rd, 2020, 3:23 pm

Grothmann wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 3:13 pm
Hi again.

Gutenberg is missing many great stories. I hope you can get these cleared.

The Night Came Slowly (1895)
by Kate Chopin
Published 1895
Read by Dale Grothmann
time 2:56

Audio at--
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/ss088_nightcameslowly_dg_128kb.mp3

Text at --
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Night_Came_Slowly

In either case, thank you for all your work.
Dale
Thanks.

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 19798
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » May 23rd, 2020, 4:27 pm

Lynnet wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 2:52 pm
Grothmann wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 2:46 pm
Hi:

The Blind Man
by Kate Chopin
Read by Dale Grothmann
Time : 6:06

Audio at--
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/ss088_blindman_dg_128kb.mp3

Text at
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Blind_Man_(Chopin)
Originally appeared in Vogue, 13 May 1897
(they assume, because the author died more than 100 years ago, that this is out of copyright)

Thanks
Dale
Thank you.
Wiki source is not a reliable source and we generally do not accept it. I will check it out and see if we can include it.
Looks like this one is ok... it is already in the catalog with this source, plus we can see it in Vogue archives.
Haven’t checked the other one yet.

Grothmann
Posts: 752
Joined: March 20th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Post by Grothmann » May 23rd, 2020, 9:09 pm

Hi Again:

I promise this is the last Kate Chopin for a while. But her prose are so beautiful....

The Story of an Hour
By Kate Chopin
Read by Dale Grothmann
Time 8:07

Audio at:
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/ss088_storyofanhour_dg_128kb.mp3

Text at
https://archive.vcu.edu/english/engweb/webtexts/hour/
(Virginia Commonwealth University)


I believe that they have archived photographs of original texts, although it might be difficult to determine if this is true on a holiday weekend in the middle of a pandemic.

Thanks for all you do.
Dale

Grothmann
Posts: 752
Joined: March 20th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Post by Grothmann » May 23rd, 2020, 10:04 pm

HI:

The Blind Man is in Short Story Collection 25

https://librivox.org/short-story-collection-vol-025/

Thanks
Dale

Post Reply