COMPLETE[PLAYS]Shakespeare Monologues Collection vol. 15 (Multilingual) - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Shakespeare Monologues Collection vol. 15 (Multilingual) by William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616).

This is the 15th edition of the Shakespeare Monologues Collection, in which Librivox volunteers bring you their favorite characters' monologues. All topics and emotions are covered, from love to hate, comedies and tragedies, world-famous and lesser known lines. And in various languages. ( ToddHW)
This project is complete. All audio files can be found on the catalog page at https://librivox.org/shakespeare-monologues-collection-vol-15-multilingual-by-william-shakespeare/
  • Leni will be helping DPL those readings in languages beyond my feeble limits of understanding English alone, with other experts called in as required.

How to claim a section

Please follow the instructions in this post carefully. This collection will contain up to 30 monologues from Shakespeare plays. There is no need to "sign-up" before recording. Should you pick the same monologue as someone else, well, listeners can listen to them both.

If you are interested to see what has been done previously, check the previous Shakespeare Monologue Collections in our catalog (but we welcome multiple versions of the same work).

Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

• New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.
    • Where do I find the text?
    • English: http://www.shakespeare-monologues.org/ or http://shakespeare.mit.edu/ or other known Public Domain sites
    • for other languages, please see the next posting after this one ( viewtopic.php?p=1714716#p1714716 ) and help us add to it if you find more sources!

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
===========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: sFp47gRv
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (William Shakespeare) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Shakespeare
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 30
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
  • Original publication date (if known):
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Plays

Keywords that describe the book: Shakespeare, monolgues

============================================
  • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

• DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "[Title of Monologue] by [character] from [Play title, act, scene] by William Shakespeare, read in [language] for Librivox DOT org, [by [your name]]."
    Then read the monologue.
    END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Title of Monologue] from [Play title, act, scene]. This recording is in the public domain"
    • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    No recordings can be accepted without the LibriVox disclaimer.
    If you read a monologue in another language, consult the second posting below this one ( viewtopic.php?p=1714717#p1714717 ) for the disclaimer in other languages and please help us add new languages.
    There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
    Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!

• AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    sm15_[titleofthemonologueinoneword]_[yourinitials]_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) e.g. sm15_andformenofurther_ck_128kb.mp3)
    • Please leave all tags blank!

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    • Please post the following information when you submit a file:
    Along with the link the uploader gives you, please post the following information in this thread:
    • Name of the play, act #, scene #
    • Name of the Monologue (usually the first lines) and character speaking
    • Language
    • Translator, if applicable (birth year - death year)
    • Source from which you read (i.e. Gutenberg etext url)
    • Length in mm:ss
    • If this is your first Librivox recording, I will also need your name as you would like it to appear on the catalogue page and the URL of your homepage if you have one and would like it linked to your name on the catalogue page.

Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
    Image (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: toddhw
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

glennobrien has kindly begun a collection of text links to all plays. please help us expand this collection with other languages!

All's Well That Ends Well: Finnish, French

Antony and Cleopatra: Finnish, French, Greek

As You Like It: Finnish, French, German, Spanish
The Spanish text begins on page 91.

The Comedy of Errors: Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Spanish
The Finnish translation doesn't list the translator's name under the Bibrec tab.
The Spanish text begins on page 193

Coriolanus: Finnish, French, German

Cymbeline: Finnish, French

Hamlet: Esperanto, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Portuguese, Spanish, Russian

Henry IV Part 1: Finnish, French, German

Henry IV Part 2: Finnish, French, German

Henry V: Finnish, French

Henry VI Part 1: Finnish, French

Henry VI Part 2: Finnish, French

Henry VI Part 3: Finnish, French

Henry VIII: Finnish, French

Julius Caesar: Finnish, French, German, Spanish

King John: Finnish, French, Russian

King Lear: Finnish, French, German, Greek, Spanish
The Spanish text begins on page 181.

Love's Labour's Lost: Finnish, French

Macbeth: Esperanto, Finnish, French, German, German, Greek, Spanish
The Spanish text begins on page 107.

Measure for Measure: Finnish, French, German

The Merchant of Venice: Catalan (translator died 1956), Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese

The Merry Wives of Windsor: Catalan (translator died 1971), Finnish, French, Spanish

A Midsummer Night's Dream: Dutch, Finnish, French, German, German, Portuguese

Much Ado About Nothing: Finnish, French

Othello: Finnish, French, German, Greek, Spanish
The Spanish text begins on page 329.

Pericles, Prince of Tyre: French

Richard II: Finnish, French

Richard III: Finnish, French, German
Use the UTF 8 text for the German version, the html doesnt include special characters.

Romeo and Juliet: Finnish, French, German, German, Greek, Polish, Tagalog, Spanish
The Tagalog translation doesn't list the translator's name under the Bibrec tab.
The Spanish text begins on page 201.

The Taming of the Shrew: Finnish, French

The Tempest: Esperanto, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Italian

Timon of Athens: Finnish, French, German

Titus Adronicus: Dutch, Finnish, French

Troilus and Cressida: Finnish, French, German

The Twelfth Night: Catalan (translator's death unknown), Finnish, French, German

The Two Gentlemen of Verona: Dutch, Finnish, French

The Winter's Tale: Finnish, French
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

ENGLISH
START of recording (Intro)
  • "[Title of Monologue] by [character] from [Play title, act, scene] by William Shakespeare, read in [language] for Librivox DOT org, [by [your name]]."
    Then read the monologue.
END of recording
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Title of Monologue] from [Play title, act, scene]. This recording is in the public domain"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
GERMAN
Beginn der Aufnahme (Intro)
  • "[Titel des Monologs] von [Charakter] aus [Name des Schauspiels, Akt, Szene] von William Shakespeare, ins Deutsche übersetzt von [Übersetzer], gelesen für Librivox Punkt org, [von [dein Name]]."
    Lies dann den Monolog.
Ende der Aufnahme
  • Am Ende des Monologs, sage:
    "Ende von [Titel des Monologs] aus [Name des Schauspiels, Akt, Szene]. Diese Aufnahme ist gemeinfrei und in der public domain"
  • Wenn du möchtest, sage:
    "Aufgenommen von [dein Name], [Stadt, Datum, etc.]"
[/list]
RUSSIAN
НАЧАЛО записи (введение)
  • [ Название монолога ] [ персонажа ] из [ название пьессы, акт, сцена ] Вильяма Шекспира, перевод [ имя переводчика], запись на русском языке для Librivox DOT org. [сделал(а) [ваше имя]].
  • Теперь прочитайте монолог .
КОНЕЦ записи
  • В конце этой секции, скажите:
  • "Конец [название монолога] из [название пьесы, акт, сцена]. Эта запись находится в общественном достоянии."
    Если желаете, скажите:
  • "Запись сделал(а) [Ваше имя], [город, блог, веб-сайт]"
POLISH
POCZĄTEK nagrania (intro)
  • "Monolog [Tytuł monologu] wygłaszany przez [imię postaci] z [tytuł sztuki] Williama Szekspira [akt, scena] czytany po polsku dla Librivox.org. Czyta [Twoje imię albo pseudonim]
  • [tekst monologu]
KONIEC nagrania
  • Na końcu nagrania powiedz:
  • Koniec [tytuł monologu] ze sztuki [tytuł, akt, scena]. To nagranie jest w domenie publicznej.
    Jeśli chcesz, dodaj:
  • "Nagrane przez [imię albo pseudonim], [miasto, adres Twojej strony internetowej, bloga, etc]
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Quite an amazing collection!

Here is a translation of Midsummer's Night Dream in Portuguese, published 1874: https://archive.org/details/sonhodumanoited01shakgoog/page/n9/mode/2up

Here is the Merchant of Venice in Portuguese, published 1842: https://books.google.com.br/books?id=cbfNuP5ui7kC&pg=PA5&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=4#v=onepage&q&f=false
Leni
=================
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Nice project, and thanks for providing these intros. Since Russian is my first language, I can correct this one for you (it seems to have been automatically generated):
НАЧАЛО записи (введение)
  • [ Название монолога ] [ персонажа ] из [ название пьессы, акт, сцена ] Вильяма Шекспира, перевод [ имя переводчика], запись на русском языке для Librivox DOT org. [сделал(а) [ваше имя]].
  • Теперь прочитайте монолог .
КОНЕЦ записи
  • В конце этой секции, скажите:
  • "Конец [название монолога] из [название пьесы, акт, сцена]. Эта запись находится в общественном достоянии."
    Если желаете, скажите:
  • "Запись сделал(а) [Ваше имя], [город, блог, веб-сайт]"

There are many more Russian translations of Shakespeare in the public domain, though they can be hard to find in PDF.

Michael
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you both. I have updated/corrected the source and intro postings above.

Todd
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Kazbek wrote: May 7th, 2020, 9:22 pm
There are many more Russian translations of Shakespeare in the public domain, though they can be hard to find in PDF.

Michael
Same in Portuguese, I even found a website that lists a lot of them, but finding the pdfs is being very difficult. I would LOVE to find Julius Caesar.

Todd, I am planning on reading a part of Hamlet in Portuguese, but I would be happy to contribute with PLing, if needed. I am not Sonia though - there are many languages I won't be able to help with. :lol: I could help with Portuguese, Spanish, French, Italian and German, if needed. (And Latin. There is actually a translation of Julius Caesar into Latin :shock: Not holding my breath for that one though :lol: )
Leni
=================
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I've said elsewhere that this is a tremendously good idea. I can't help but feel personally terrified of it, however. I'm screwing up my courage, rather slowly, I admit.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Hi Todd
Do English monologues have to come from the specified source? It would be interesting to do some lesser known monologues provided there is a reliable source like Gutenberg or Archive. Would this be an acceptable source:
https://www.opensourceshakespeare.org/

I would like to read the Prologue from Pericles which is spoken by "ancient Gower" but it is not in the specified source, although the prologue to act 4 is as it is probably one of the few bits of this play actually written by Shakespeare.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Alan,

That website does not state that everything is in the Public Domain. You might use http://shakespeare.mit.edu/ - I see they have the prologue you mention.

Thanks, Todd
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

ToddHW wrote: May 9th, 2020, 5:02 am That website does not state that everything is in the Public Domain. You might use http://shakespeare.mit.edu/ - I see they have the prologue you mention.
Thanks Todd. I will use that source as it is more explicitly PD and it has the full texts. Maybe it might be worth listing it in the early posts.
Alan
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Prologue from Pericles (appropriate to start with a prologue)

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/sm15_prologuefrompericles_am_128kb.mp3

Pericles
Prologue spoken by Ancient Gower
English
http://shakespeare.mit.edu/pericles/pericles.1.0.html
2:37
Alan
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Hi Todd,

Couldn't resist this (even if it means two prologues in a row :D ):

Prologue by Chorus from Henry V, Act 1, Scene 1 (English)
Text: http://shakespeare.mit.edu/henryv/henryv.1.0.html
Duration: 2:12
MP3:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/sm15_prologuehenryva1s1_wt_128kb.mp3

Cheers,

Winston
Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Great. Thank you both.

Todd