[SCIFI] Highways in Hiding by George O. Smith -jo

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
rewohwrew

Post by rewohwrew » April 8th, 2020, 2:41 pm

Highways in Hiding by George O. Smith (1911 - 1981).

( )
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20519
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project: Action & Adventure Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: science fiction, scifi, highways in hiding by george o. smith

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Highways in Hiding. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Highways in Hiding, by George O. Smith. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Highways in Hiding by George O. Smith. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Highways in Hiding, by George O. Smith. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename highwaysinhiding_##_smith_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. highwaysinhiding_01_smith_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader (use your personal workflow login/password)
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » April 9th, 2020, 11:38 am

I was going to MC this, but I see it's not PD for me. (I download and back up the files of projects I MC, so this one is off limits for me.) Someone will be along to set this up.

To whoever MC's this: I did add the BC checkmark to this reader's workflow, so that part is done. ;)
Hatfields & McCoys Sensationalist Account: An American Vendetta
Future of US Human Spaceflight: Final Report
Humor: Maxims of Methuselah about women

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » April 9th, 2020, 1:08 pm

I've got it. MW will be up in a bit.

Meanwhile, since this will be your first project as soloist/book coordinator(BC), you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the "Magic Window" in the top post. Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler.

First Time Logging in to the Workflow

Instructions for BCs and DPLs

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.

BCs - How to Update the Magic Window

If you have any questions, let me know. I'll leave this thread here in the Launch Pad for a day or so longer before I move it to the Going Solo forum, to see if a DPL (Dedicated Prooflistener) volunteers. Looking forward to working with you.
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

rewohwrew

Post by rewohwrew » April 9th, 2020, 1:24 pm

Thank you Jo :) Looking froward to working with you.

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » April 11th, 2020, 2:20 pm

Moving this over the Going Solo. Once you get a few chapters uploaded, you can advertise for a DPL in Listeners Wanted if no one has volunteered by that time.
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

loon

Post by loon » April 11th, 2020, 2:49 pm

Did I hear DPL? I could do that if you wish. And I'm US based so there are no copyright worries.
Rich Brown
FullLoon.com

rewohwrew

Post by rewohwrew » April 11th, 2020, 5:23 pm

loon wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 2:49 pm
Did I hear DPL? I could do that if you wish. And I'm US based so there are no copyright worries.
Yes, please :D
Thanks a lot loon
Looking forward.

rewohwrew

Post by rewohwrew » April 14th, 2020, 1:24 pm

loon wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 2:49 pm
Hi Loon. I've posted the preface :) https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/highwaysinhiding_00_smith_128kb.mp3
When you can, please let me know what you think.
Thanks

loon

Post by loon » April 14th, 2020, 6:14 pm

rewohwrew wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 1:24 pm
Hi Loon. I've posted the preface :) https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/highwaysinhiding_00_smith_128kb.mp3
When you can, please let me know what you think.
Thanks
The preface is PL OK. We're off!

That said, the program Checker complains a bit about background noise. When I look at the final 5 seconds of your recording with the "plot spectrum" tool in Audacity I see there's a fair amount of stuff down in the subsonic 10 Hz to 20 Hz range, with the peak around 15 Hz. You might try running a high pass filter (or low cut filter, depending on your version of Audacity) to reduce the lowest frequencies. There's almost nothing in the human voice below 100 Hz anyway. Or you could try the Audacity noise reduction effect which can be remarkably effective.

The other thing you might do is apply a bit of compression to your recording. There are a few spots in the preface that come really close to clipping - but don't actually clip: good. The default settings for the Audacity compression effect are quite gentle but can give you a bit more available range when you're setting your final volume for your MP3.

If you use some software other than Audacity there are probably similar controls you could use in that. These two suggestions are just that - suggestions - since your recording is OK as is.

I'm curious about what you're planning to do for the mental communications our Steve Cornell is -um- transmitting. Whatever you do should be OK as long as you keep doing the same thing through the book.

I only read the first couple chapters before I volunteered to DPL to make sure I could get into the story (and yes, I can) - so this will be an adventure. Onward!
Rich Brown
FullLoon.com

rewohwrew

Post by rewohwrew » April 14th, 2020, 7:40 pm

loon wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 6:14 pm
I'm curious about what you're planning to do for the mental communications our Steve Cornell is -um- transmitting. Whatever you do should be OK as long as you keep doing the same thing through the book.

I only read the first couple chapters before I volunteered to DPL to make sure I could get into the story (and yes, I can) - so this will be an adventure. Onward!
YESSS! I was also thinking of that. The easy/lazy approach would be to actually say "Hash" before and after every sentence of mental communication, but that will get annoying rather quickly. The other approach would be some sort of effect, e. g. echo, but that will make it take a tad longer to edit it.
For now I am just recording normally and I will apply the effect later on.

I am open for suggestions, what do you think? 🙃
I will edit the preface accordingly and let you know.
Thanks a bunch!

loon

Post by loon » April 14th, 2020, 8:00 pm

rewohwrew wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 7:40 pm

I am open for suggestions, what do you think? 🙃
I will edit the preface accordingly and let you know.
Thanks a bunch!
One complication about using an echo is the echo effect chops off at the end of the section you made, so you would need to take extra care to make sure the last word of a thought projection gets as much echo as the rest of the phrase.

Maybe some sort of an equalization filter? Older versions of Audacity had a 'telephone' preset but I haven't seen that lately.
One nice thing about Audacity is the settings for a filter remember what you did the previous time so you don't need to re-enter all the numbers of slider positions the next time you use the effect.

If you are going to reprocess the preface you could apply the effect - whatever you pick - to the word 'hash' so listeners will get a preview of the effect at that point.
Rich Brown
FullLoon.com

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » April 15th, 2020, 10:49 am

Be careful using effects like echo and reverb especially switching back and forth from phrase to phrase. It can be hard on your listeners unless it's very subtle. Perhaps consider instead just changing your reading voice a little - maybe a loud stage whisper or something along those lines.
Jo
My Librivox Solos

loon

Post by loon » April 15th, 2020, 12:09 pm

Excellent suggestion Jo (knotyouraveragejo).
Rich Brown
FullLoon.com

rewohwrew

Post by rewohwrew » May 19th, 2020, 12:00 am

I am currently moving, so its going to take me a while to get back to this. I am posting this to keep the thread open.

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » May 19th, 2020, 12:02 pm

Thanks for posting to let us know. Good luck with the move!
Jo
My Librivox Solos