COMPLETE: The Tale of Paddy Muskrat by Arthur Scott Bailey -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
BillTurns

Post by BillTurns » March 2nd, 2020, 5:54 pm

The Tale of Paddy Muskrat by Arthur Scott Bailey ( 1877 - 1949 ).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/the-tale-of-paddy-muskrat-by-arthur-scott-bailey/

Enter Pleasent Valley, the home of the interesting and entertaining creatures and adventures born of American author Arthur Scott Bailey. The Tale of Paddy Muskrat is one of many works penned by Bailey that are part of his Sleep-Time Tales set intended for young children. Come enjoy the turns of luck and whims of the laziest member of the valley.
  • Text source (only read from this text!): Google Books link: https://books.google.com/books?id=UPJDAQAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin ===========================================

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Animals & Nature; Children's Fiction/Family; Humorous Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: Children's Stories, bedtime story, paddy muskrat, fiction for kids

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Tale of Paddy Muskrat. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Tale of Paddy Muskrat, by Arthur Scott Bailey. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapters [numbers] of The Tale of Paddy Muskrat by Arthur Scott Bailey. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Tale of Paddy Muskrat, by Arthur Scott Bailey. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename taleofpaddymuskrat_##_bailey_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. taleofpaddymuskrat_01_bailey_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags ID3 tags are now optional. They are added automatically during cataloging.
    Artist: Arthur Scott Bailey
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: The Tale of Paddy Muskrat

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by BillTurns on March 4th, 2020, 1:32 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.
~Benjamin Franklin

BillTurns

Post by BillTurns » March 2nd, 2020, 6:02 pm

I also have possession of a digital copy which contains the sections not found on Google. I can upload it for the PL's convenience if requested.

I'll start recording this weekend as time allows. Let the journey begin.

Too-Tall Bill
~Benjamin Franklin

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » March 2nd, 2020, 6:28 pm

Please do upload the digital copy somewhere. We need to be sure your edition is still out of copyright. (When the project is set up, you're supposed to read from the text you link to. If you don't have a link to a text, then work with your MC to determine if your text is PD. There's a reason the first post says "Text source (only read from this text!)" 8-)
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia

BillTurns

Post by BillTurns » March 2nd, 2020, 7:21 pm

Understood. I have uploaded the document to dropbox and have provided the link in the main post. To reduce confusion, I will only read from the linked document.
Here is the same link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8wf61i93mhckq4w/009%20-%20The%20Tale%20of%20Paddy%20Muskrat.pdf?dl=0

Apologies for the confusion. Onward.

~ Bill
~Benjamin Franklin

KevinS

Post by KevinS » March 2nd, 2020, 7:31 pm

Haha! Here in Wisconsin we say 'Forward!'

I'll be happy to DPL if you'll have me.
What? What's that? Why are you shouting?

BillTurns

Post by BillTurns » March 3rd, 2020, 6:35 am

KevinS wrote:
March 2nd, 2020, 7:31 pm
Haha! Here in Wisconsin we say 'Forward!'

I'll be happy to DPL if you'll have me.
Thank you, glad to have you on board.

~Bill
~Benjamin Franklin

BillTurns

Post by BillTurns » March 4th, 2020, 9:02 am

Preliminary testing with the new setup now has some minor comfort and nearly eliminated voice echo feedback. I am working on ironing out the kinks and branching out to improve the production side efficiency to get it right more readily. So far I am only really able to record in the evenings when the kids are down... (they are loud even when they try to be quiet...), and expect that with some distractions on the opposite side of the house, I should be able to get this book's raw audio recorded this weekend.

I am still hopeful for an MC to adopt this project.

If I've done something else wrong or am yet to meet some requirement that would enable an MC to think fondly of gracing this project with their time, I'd greatly appreciate some direction.

~ [OK] 1 Minute Test: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=78419&p=1683846#p1683846

Stay awesome!

~Bill
~Benjamin Franklin

KevinS

Post by KevinS » March 4th, 2020, 9:42 am

BillTurns wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 9:02 am

I am still hopeful for an MC to adopt this project.

If I've done something else wrong or am yet to meet some requirement that would enable an MC to think fondly of gracing this project with their time, I'd greatly appreciate some direction.

~Bill
Oh, don't worry about gaining an MC. It's just a busy time for them right now. Understandably, they can't take on everything all at the same time.
What? What's that? Why are you shouting?

BillTurns

Post by BillTurns » March 4th, 2020, 9:50 am

KevinS wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 9:42 am
Oh, don't worry about gaining an MC. It's just a busy time for them right now. Understandably, they can't take on everything all at the same time.
Thanks Kevin,

I did think that might be going on, I have seen several MC's post that they are unable to take on addition tasks on other threads. With this in mind, I have begun looking for other ongoing collaboration projects to read sections in. If we do this, then the MC's will have fewer projects to juggle.. :wink:

No rush. Just glad to be here.

~Bill
~Benjamin Franklin

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » March 4th, 2020, 10:42 am

Hi Bill,

I can MC this for you. The text you have linked is OK to use since it is the original 1916 version. However, the online google books version appears to also be complete. What was it you found to be missing?

Since this will be your first project as soloist/book coordinator(BC), you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the "Magic Window" in the top post. Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler.

First Time Logging in to the Workflow

Instructions for BCs and DPLs

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.

BCs - How to Update the Magic Window

If you have any questions, let me know. Looking forward to working with you.
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

BillTurns

Post by BillTurns » March 4th, 2020, 12:49 pm

knotyouraveragejo wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 10:42 am
Hi Bill,

I can MC this for you. The text you have linked is OK to use since it is the original 1916 version. However, the online google books version appears to also be complete. What was it you found to be missing?

Since this will be your first project as soloist/book coordinator(BC),...
Well met Jo,

Thanks for picking up the MC. The google doc had two chapters without links which led me to think those two chapters were mission. Not too concerned as the pdf is worth of the task, I'll continue to use it as it is.

Yes I have already been into the MW with some DPL work done already and have taken a lengthy look through the guides you've linked.

No holding back now, the journey is underway.

~Bill
~Benjamin Franklin

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » March 4th, 2020, 1:20 pm

Just the links are missing - both chapters are there. I would prefer to use the Google link for the catalog since long term that will be available to listeners. :)

You can add the chapter titles to the MW when you are ready. Meanwhile I will move this thread to Going Solo.
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

BillTurns

Post by BillTurns » March 4th, 2020, 1:52 pm

Google books it is, and the chapter titles have been added. It is hard to get a word count from the view in google's display, but I doubt it will be an issue. The chapters are quite small and will go quickly.

I'll upload the finished chapters as I get them done. Thanks for the progress and setup.

~Bill
~Benjamin Franklin

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » March 4th, 2020, 3:11 pm

Word counts are not needed for a solo. Just post the length of the files as you upload them so your DPL can judge the time needed for PLing and as an aid to your MC to confirm that the files transfer OK during cataloging. :)
Jo
My Librivox Solos

BillTurns

Post by BillTurns » March 4th, 2020, 8:16 pm

Chapter one is done and ready for PL. An interesting time with recording and editing. Breaking out of my shell and now time for bed.

~Bill
~Benjamin Franklin