COMPLETE [Solo] With the Anzacs in Cairo by Guy Thornton - alg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka » February 2nd, 2020, 1:50 pm

With the Anzacs in Cairo by Guy Thornton (1872 - 1934).

Guy Thornton recounts his experiences serving as a military chaplain with the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) while stationed in Egypt during World War I. His writing is opinionated, emotionally vulnerable, written in colorful prose, and full of humour. He recounts both his successes and failures as a pastor. He shows particular concern for his soldiers’ visitations to Cairo's red-light districts where prostitution and heavy drinking were common. Thornton spent much time ministering to his soldiers directly in the red-light districts, often coming into conflict with local pimps. Thornton also expresses his experiences exploring Cairo, his work as a chaplain, his visits to hospitals, and praises the various charitable social services that were set up for the soldiers.
( Adam Bielka)
• This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/with-the-anzacs-in-cairo-by-guy-thornton/

• Text source (only read from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=njp.32101059987931&view=1up&seq=7
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/War & Military; *Non-fiction/Religion/Christianity - Biographies; *Non-fiction/Travel & Geography/Exploration; *Non-fiction/Biography & Autobiography/Memoirs

Keywords that describe the book: WWI, egypt, Anzac, Gallipoli, Great War, prostitution, World War, Cairo, new zealand, ymca, orientalism, pastor, chaplain, baptist, sex work, anzacs

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of With the Anzacs in Cairo. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "With the Anzacs in Cairo, by Guy Thornton. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of With the Anzacs in Cairo by Guy Thornton. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of With the Anzacs in Cairo, by Guy Thornton. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename anzacsincairo_##_thornton_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. anzacsincairo_01_thornton_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: alg1001
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by AdamBielka on March 10th, 2020, 7:31 am, edited 5 times in total.
Join the "Frauds, Forgeries, and Fake News Collection" - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=78482&hilit=fake+news

AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka » February 2nd, 2020, 1:53 pm

This is my first attempt at a Solo Project, thus far I've only done dramatic reading parts. I'm not sure if I've got all the details right so far. I've posted the Solo Template into this, but not 100% this is the right place for it, or if I need an MC first, or if that comes later?

Anyway, this is me trying to set up a solo project, please feel free to correct me or clarify what I need to still do to proceed. I've read the instructions for Going Solo, but some of them aren't super clear.
Join the "Frauds, Forgeries, and Fake News Collection" - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=78482&hilit=fake+news

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » February 2nd, 2020, 2:02 pm

This is the right place. But you've only got the bottom part of the template, not the whole thing. :hmm:
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries
Kerner Report on 1967 race riots: LINK
Mussolini's speeches thru 1923: LINK
Samuel Smiles Self-Help: Character
Family history: The Medici, Vol. 2

KevinS

Post by KevinS » February 2nd, 2020, 2:16 pm

Put me down as DPL if you like.

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 » February 5th, 2020, 7:58 am

Hi Adam,
You need to fill out this template then the project can be set up. Just copy and paste that into your top post.
http://librivox.org/add_project
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13513
I'll MC it for you.
-Amy

AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka » February 5th, 2020, 4:42 pm

KevinS wrote:
February 2nd, 2020, 2:16 pm
Put me down as DPL if you like.
That would be awesome. How do register you as that?

AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka » February 5th, 2020, 4:45 pm

alg1001 wrote:
February 5th, 2020, 7:58 am
Hi Adam,
You need to fill out this template then the project can be set up. Just copy and paste that into your top post.
http://librivox.org/add_project
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13513
I'll MC it for you.
-Amy
That would be awesome.

I believe I filled this form out already? That's how I got the template to paste above. Do I do it again?

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 » February 5th, 2020, 5:43 pm

Hi Adam,
The project number was needed. It was in there now. You are all set up. Kevin is officially DPL. I'll send you MW access info.
Cheers!
-Amy

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 » February 6th, 2020, 6:50 pm

Over to Going Solo..

AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka » February 9th, 2020, 7:07 pm

So how do I submit a chapter into the magic window? Do I just upload it and post a link, same as I would with a colloborative part?

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 » February 9th, 2020, 7:50 pm

I'm so sorry, Adam. I forgot to send you the MW access email. I just sent it now. It will show you how to set up your password for it, then you can go in there to add your links and update the section names, etc...
-Amy

AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka » February 9th, 2020, 10:03 pm

Alright. I've posted my first two recorded chapters, will add some more this coming week. Because I'm new to this I've started with some of the middle chapters first. Since the first few chapters are the most important (since they're the most likely to be listened too) I thought I would leave those to the end of the project, when I have a bit more experience. Feel free to proof listen in any order you please though.

AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka » February 9th, 2020, 10:07 pm

One thing I've noticed is the author occasionally censors out certain thing like "d------" and "C-----"; some seem to be curses, other seem to names of people/places left out to protect people's confidentiality. Do you have any editorial advice on how to translate those types of textual things into audio? For the curses I've been doing best guess based on contextual clues/Victorian patterns, and for confidential names I've just left "name left censored". Alternatively I could give fake names to the censored-name people, for the sake flow, or just bleep out the swears he's bleeped out.

KevinS

Post by KevinS » February 9th, 2020, 10:22 pm

AdamBielka wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 10:07 pm
One thing I've noticed is the author occasionally censors out certain thing like "d------" and "C-----"; some seem to be curses, other seem to names of people/places left out to protect people's confidentiality. Do you have any editorial advice on how to translate those types of textual things into audio? For the curses I've been doing best guess based on contextual clues/Victorian patterns, and for confidential names I've just left "name left censored". Alternatively I could give fake names to the censored-name people, for the sake flow, or just bleep out the swears he's bleeped out.
Common practice---at least what I've seen---is to simply say 'Lord B' for 'Lord B_______.' For swearing, it's harder to do convincingly, by 'd____ it' can be read as 'd blank it.' One might say just 'blank it,' but that often gives the modern reader the wrong idea, I think.

KevinS

Post by KevinS » February 10th, 2020, 10:55 am

Adam, if you would please mark (in the Magic Window) your submissions as Ready for PL, I will better be able to keep track of them. (It's the pull down menu at the far right of the MW.)