~[Solo] Perils in the Transvaal and Zululand by H.C. Adams-mas

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
mgobirch

Post by mgobirch » January 30th, 2020, 1:15 pm

Perils in the Transvaal and Zululand by Henry Cadwallader Adams by Henry Cadwallader (H.C.) Adams (1817 - 1899).

"George Rivers is a graduate scholar at University during the height of the Victorian British Empire. Influenced by the advice of his mentors, and the opportunity of a lifetime, he takes his search for his mother and sister to Natal, the Transvaal, and Zululand. In his trek through large and untamed territories in the British Colony of South Africa, he’s joined by his close friend Reginald Margetts, the son of nobility. As they arrive in their destination port of Durban and proceed further into the wilds, they begin to get a sense that 'wild' means 'wild,' colonists are not always welcome where others are already living, and changes in political power can upset balances in ways which their studies at University could never have prepared them."
-Bryan Birchmeier
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/38175
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): special (constructive criticism requested)
    IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin =
    =
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Perils in the Transvaal and Zululand. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Perils in the Transvaal and Zululand, by Henry Cadwallader Adams. Chapter [number]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Perils in the Transvaal and Zululand by Henry Cadwallader Adams . This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "Chapter [number]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Chapter [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Perils in the Transvaal and Zululand by Henry Cadwallader Adams, by Henry Cadwallader (H.C.) Adams. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  4. Example filename perils_##_adams_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. perils_01_adams_128kb.mp3)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by mgobirch on February 5th, 2020, 9:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

mgobirch

Post by mgobirch » January 30th, 2020, 1:16 pm

This is a new project version of a previously abandoned project.
Here is the original project thread:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=73868

I also have a special favor to ask of whoever wishes to BC and/or PL this project. I'm attempting to self-teach audiobook narration skills with the aim of getting better and better each time. My goal is to keep working on this every week until we have what we consider a professional quality audiobook version of this. If this isn't sustainable or a good fit, let me know and I'd still like to record but can find another avenue to attempt my improvement.

Under the 'PL level required' field in the Project template I selected "Special" because of this. I suppose whoever MC's can decide if this is a project they want to take on or not. I'm willing to have conversations about expectations, workflows, etc. and anything else.

What I'm saying is that, should I be putting posts around seeking a DPL willing to give constant CC?

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » January 30th, 2020, 2:55 pm

I'm not MCing this but I think you mean an MC not a BC - you are the BC - book co-ordinator.
I think you need to make clear exactly what you are expecting of a DPL , they are all volunteers and what you have written isn't clear to me.
It sounds like you are expecting them to keep listening to different versions of the same chapter ?

Anne

mgobirch

Post by mgobirch » January 30th, 2020, 5:20 pm

Thanks annise,

What I want is, as I go along reading and submitting, and fixing errors, each chapter/submission gets progressively better as I take the PL's advice into account. But it seems from my limited experience that the PL's only give basic advice unless otherwise requested. I'd like to work toward a professional sounding narration, but not by redoing each chapter.

Did I go about this wrong? I tried to follow instructions but wasn't sure about how to go about asking to set up this kind of collaboration.

I don't want to waste anyone's time, should I delete this project from the launch pad and try to set up a collaboration in a different area of the board? I couldn't really find a place that seemed right to do that, so I followed instructions on how to resurrect projects that were abandoned but didn't have another version up yet (like many of the other abandoned projects). I thought if I was trying to do something that was a bit of an odd project that I would try to get something done that previously had issues being completed.

Sorry if I went about this wrong, I could use some help making some choices here or just understanding how I should approach this.

Thank you

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » January 31st, 2020, 8:28 am

Sounds like you went about this right. :) I added the note on the type of PL requested to state you want constructive criticism.

Regarding adopting an orphaned project: if you are not going to use the old file(s) on the abandoned project, then your project is simply treated as a brand new one, without any reference to the abandoned one. (That thread listing the abandoned projects has the object of using the old files.) From what you are saying, I assume you do not plan on using the other project's file. Correct me if I'm wrong. (The old file needs some corrections made to the intro/outro, ending silence added, and some volume correction.)

So, knowing this, I guess from here we do the following:
- Please confirm that you are planning on doing this project without using the old file from the abandoned project.
- An MC will set up this project for you, and you'll be in charge of the Magic Window (like all soloists are). :) Your MC will give you a link to instructions on how to do this.
- When you get someone who offers to DPL, you can discuss with them exactly what you'd like from them: comments on sound quality, pacing, expression - whatever areas you want them to comment on.

Make sense?
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries
Mussolini's speeches thru 1923: LINK
Samuel Smiles Self-Help: Character
Family history: The Medici, Vol. 2

mgobirch

Post by mgobirch » January 31st, 2020, 11:35 am

Thank you Tricia!

You're correct, I obviously didnt listen to the existing file and have nothing against the previous reader at all, but I think I would like to do the entire work myself without the use of any previously produced files.

-Thank you, how to manage this as BC (not MC, though I wasn't able to tweak the search box enough to get an indication of what MC stands for (master coordinator?) was going to be one of my next questions, so it's great to know links to learning on that are coming!

-That all makes sense and thank you so much for walking me through this, you're all so very patient! (I have a toddler so my appreciation for patience has grown significantly in recent years)

Thanks again,
Bryan

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » January 31st, 2020, 12:00 pm

Meta Coordinator. :)

Here's a wiki page with the general process and outline of roles at LV: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=How_LibriVox_Works
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries
Mussolini's speeches thru 1923: LINK
Samuel Smiles Self-Help: Character
Family history: The Medici, Vol. 2

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » February 1st, 2020, 1:26 pm

Bryan,

I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your project set up and be back with some additional instructions.

MaryAnn

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » February 1st, 2020, 1:35 pm

OK, Your MW (magic window) is set up.

For a solo project, you are the Book Coordinator. That means you fill out the Magic Window and post your links and times in the window when you upload your files.

You'll need to start by logging into the magic window. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!) Please be sure to read all of the BC How To document, as that will give you more information on your role as a BC.

Note that passwords for the magic window and the forum are not connected. You can use the same password in both places (I think a lot of people do), but if you change it on one system, it won't affect the password on the other system.

Next, you'll need to start entering section (or chapter) titles. I've entered the first couple to get you started.

Then you are ready to start recording. When you upload a section, it's your responsibility to add the link and duration (mm:ss) to the Magic Window. Link from the uploader goes in the "listen URL" column, duration goes in the "notes" column. Then be sure to post in the thread that a new section is ready for PL so your DPL knows there is something new.

If you have questions, or if you have any trouble with the instructions in the BC how to, please post and we'll work through it together.

MaryAnn

mgobirch

Post by mgobirch » February 2nd, 2020, 7:58 am

Thanks Mary Ann!

:thumbs:

Bryan

mgobirch

Post by mgobirch » February 4th, 2020, 2:28 pm

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 1:35 pm
OK, Your MW (magic window) is set up.

For a solo project, you are the Book Coordinator. That means you fill out the Magic Window and post your links and times in the window when you upload your files.

You'll need to start by logging into the magic window. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!) Please be sure to read all of the BC How To document, as that will give you more information on your role as a BC.
I clicked the BC link under the magic window to start editing the info. After following the instructions for the first time log-in, then looking at the BC How-to link it redirected me to a blank page that just said I didn't have permission to access that. "You don't have permissions for this area."

I'm guessing I can't give myself permissions? It doesn't seem like that would be secure :help:

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » February 4th, 2020, 4:51 pm

Oops. My fault, Please try again. It should work now.
MaryAnn

mgobirch

Post by mgobirch » February 5th, 2020, 6:37 am

thanks MaryAnn,

Looks like it's working now!

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » February 6th, 2020, 6:38 pm

I'll move us over to "going solo". Potential proof listeners will know this project is in need of a listener from the ~ in the title. We can also advertise once you get a section or two uploaded.

MaryAnn

mgobirch

Post by mgobirch » February 10th, 2020, 8:04 am

Thanks so much MaryAnn!