(Complete) Tin Horns and Calico by Henry Christman - m8b1

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 » December 31st, 2019, 12:15 pm

Tin Horns and Calico by Henry Esmond Christman (1906 - 1980).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/tin-horns-and-calico-by-henry-esmond-christman/
In the early 19th century, in the Hudson Valley of New York State, hundreds of square miles of land were still the feudal domains of large landowners known as patroons. Such families as the Van Rensselaers, Livingstons, and Schuylers owned the farms and towns in which hundreds of thousands of ordinary people lived and worked. Even the capital city of New York State, Albany, was encompassed in the private fiefdom of a patroon. On July 4, 1839, in the mountain town of Berne, New York, a mass meeting of tenant farmers issued a declaration of independence, promising: "We will take up the ball of the Revolution where our fathers stopped it and roll it to the final consummation of freedom and independence of the masses." The Anti-Rent War consumed the Catskill Mountain region through the 1840's, leading in the end to the downfall of the patroon system and the democratization of land ownership in New York State. ( Maria Kasper)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/001322791
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of Tin Horns and Calico by Henry Christman. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • Say: "Tin Horns and Calico, by Henry Christman. [Chapter title]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of Tin Horns and Calico by Henry Christman. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • Say: "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section #]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Tin Horns and Calico, by Henry Christman. "
There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Example filename tinhornsandcalico_##_christman_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. tinhornsandcalico_01_christman_128kb.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags are not necessary, as they will be added during cataloging

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: m8b1
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Last edited by commonsparrow3 on January 12th, 2020, 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 » December 31st, 2019, 12:18 pm

A couple of notes:

Although this book was published in 1945, it is full view on Hathitrust, and they list it as Public Domain.

The author's death date is missing on Hathitrust, and he isn't on Wikipedia, but I found his death date listed as 1980 on Find A Grave, here: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/143409704/henry-esmond-christman

m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 » December 31st, 2019, 1:06 pm

Hi Maria,

I'll MC this for you. The MW is up!

We'll stay here for a bit to see if we can snag a DPL. :-)

Have fun!

commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 » December 31st, 2019, 1:09 pm

Thanks, Maria! (As one Maria to another!)

m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 » January 2nd, 2020, 7:00 am

You are welcome! Moving over to Going Solo!

KevinS

Post by KevinS » January 10th, 2020, 4:37 pm

May I DPL, please?
Drop and roll!

commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 » January 10th, 2020, 7:08 pm

Yes, you certainly may!

I haven't begun to record anything yet, because I got my new mic and had to test it first, but I shall begin reading shortly.

MC Maria, will you get Kevin access to the MW? Thanks!

m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 » January 11th, 2020, 8:32 am

Done! :-)

commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 » January 12th, 2020, 11:57 am

Thanks, Maria!

And we're off and running!
Here's Section 0 (Acknowledgments and Introduction) - (length 14:54)
https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/tinhornsandcalico_00_christman_128kb.mp3

I've added page counts to the MW, just to give a rough guess at how long each chapter might be. There are two long chapters later on, each 22 pgs, which might or might not need to be subdivided. We'll see when we get there.

KevinS

Post by KevinS » January 12th, 2020, 1:20 pm

commonsparrow3 wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 11:57 am
Here's Section 0 (Acknowledgments and Introduction) - (length 14:54)
https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/tinhornsandcalico_00_christman_128kb.mp3
PL OK!
Drop and roll!

commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 » January 12th, 2020, 2:26 pm

Thanks, Kevin! Chapter 1 coming up in a couple days!

KevinS

Post by KevinS » January 14th, 2020, 4:46 pm

commonsparrow3 wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 9:34 pm
Here's Chapter 1 - (A Landed Aristocracy) - (length 37:11)
https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/tinhornsandcalico_01_christman_128kb.mp3
I'm so embarrassed. I knew nothing about this. Nothing!
Drop and roll!

commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 » January 14th, 2020, 7:24 pm

Hey, I'm a NY State native myself, and I didn't really know about it, either, until I read this book from the library earlier this year.

I had heard of the patroons, and of Peter Stuyvesant's expedition against Rensselaerswyck, in Washington Irving's "Knickerbocker's History". But from that account, I took it as a system that had existed in early colonial times, which I just assumed had become obsolete. It never occurred to me to think that it might still be going on in the mid-1800s!

Then, a couple years ago, I was reading a book about the Catskills, and in between all the stuff about geology and flora and fauna and camping and resorts and etc, there was one very brief chapter of 2-3 pages about the Anti-Rent War. That tidbit, short as it was, fascinated me, sent me searching for more info, and led me eventually to this book.

It really is an almost completely ignored episode in NY State history, one that they never mentioned in my school history class, but I'm glad I found out about it!

KevinS

Post by KevinS » January 14th, 2020, 7:44 pm

We have a number of prominent (or otherwise) settlers to Wisconsin from New York. They came to us at about this same time, seeking opportunity that may have been denied them in New York. I can't think of any other reason one would leave upstate New York. (Well, winter, but Wisconsin is no better in that regard.)
Drop and roll!