SOLO The Crystal Sceptre by Philip Verrill Mighels - rap

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
noisydaddy

Post by noisydaddy » December 28th, 2019, 7:46 pm

The Crystal Sceptre -- A Story of Adventure by Philip Verrill Mighels (1869 - 1911).

A young man's voyage of exploration goes awry when his balloon is swept away in a tremendous storm. He finds himself in a strange world populated by beings seemingly forgotten by time. He must survive by his wits, intellect, and skills until he can attempt to return to the modern world.
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/60860
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Crystal Sceptre -- A Story of Adventure. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Crystal Sceptre -- A Story of Adventure, by Philip Verrill Mighels. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Crystal Sceptre -- A Story of Adventure by Philip Verrill Mighels. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Crystal Sceptre -- A Story of Adventure, by Philip Verrill Mighels. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename crystalsceptre_##_mighels_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. crystalsceptre_01_mighels_128kb.mp3)
  • Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Rapunzelina
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by noisydaddy on January 17th, 2020, 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » December 29th, 2019, 2:31 pm

Hello! I'd love to MC this project for you! Let me set up a Magic Window, and I'll be right back!
Interested in recording for a non-fiction dramatic reading of a memorial meeting? Check the National Geographic Magazine

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » December 29th, 2019, 2:49 pm

We have a Magic Window!

Here should be included all the information you'll need on how to use it: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window but let me know if something is unclear.

You'll first need to create your login information; follow the steps in #2 for first time login. These will be the username and password you'll use, when you click on the MW link (BC admin), so it's different from the username/password you use for the forum (though you could set it up to be the same words, I guess!)

Then you should have access to the MW. You could enter Chapter names for Section titles, and then whenever you upload a recording, you can add the run time in the Notes field, the link from the uploader in the Listen URL field, and mark it Ready for PL in the last field. And post in the thread that you've uploaded.
Interested in recording for a non-fiction dramatic reading of a memorial meeting? Check the National Geographic Magazine

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » December 29th, 2019, 2:51 pm

By the way, I was checking out the summary you gave from the website. It is signed JC, who I presumed is John Clute, so it might not be copyright free to use. When you have read the book, you could write your own summary, or rephrase that one enough to keep it safe (all in the public domain!)

noisydaddy

Post by noisydaddy » January 17th, 2020, 9:10 am

Good morning,

I have rewritten the summary.

Also, I am trying to stick to my original schedule, but I have just gotten a paid narration, so the delivery may move to the right a bit. I'll keep you posted.

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » January 17th, 2020, 9:34 am

Thank you and congrats on your paid narration!

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » March 16th, 2020, 1:13 pm

Time for a check up! How does the schedule for this project look like now?
I hope you're safe and healthy!