SOLO - Old Paths by J C Ryle-mas

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
ChrisMS

Post by ChrisMS » December 21st, 2019, 12:44 pm

Old Paths by J. C. Ryle (1816 - 1900).

This book is subtitled “Being Plain Statements on Some of the Weightier Matters of Christianity. The main title comes from the writings the old testament prophet Jeremiah, who refers to the old paths where the good way is, which if people walk in it they will find rest for their souls (Jer. 6 v6). Bishop Ryle wrote this book at a time when many in the church were forsaking the old paths of evangelical Christianity in favour of liberal ideas. In Ryle’s day the old doctrines held by the apostolic Christians and reformers had started to be sneered at in certain quarters as being old-fashioned and worn out, and that something more modern was needed.

Ryle held that the “old paths” were the best ones, and wrote “The longer I live the more I am convinced that the world needs no new Gospel, as some profess to think. I am thoroughly persuaded that the world needs nothing but bold, full, unflinching teaching of the “old paths””.
( Christopher Smith)
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/oldpathsbeingpla00ryle/page/n7
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard
    IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin =
    =
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Old Paths. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Old Paths, by J. C. Ryle. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Old Paths by J. C. Ryle. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Old Paths, by J. C. Ryle. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  4. Example filename oldpaths_##_ryle_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. oldpaths_01_ryle_128kb.mp3)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
Fiddlesticks has kindly agreed to DPL this project

fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks » December 21st, 2019, 1:06 pm

Checking in as DPL! I am excited to hear from a new author I have not read before!
~Tiffany

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » December 21st, 2019, 2:25 pm

Chris,
Happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.

fiddlesticks,
Hope you like him. Ryle is one of my favorites.

MaryAnn

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » December 21st, 2019, 2:27 pm

Chris,
I see 19 chapters. How are you getting 55 sections?
MaryAnn

ChrisMS

Post by ChrisMS » December 22nd, 2019, 3:18 am

Thanks, MaryAnn, for MCing this project. Yes, 55 sections does sound quite a lot for a book with 19 chapters! My aim was to have sections of easily manageable length, given that the chapters are quite long, and some have notes in small print. Chapter 1 (39 pages) and chapter 19 (45 pages) would each run to well over an hour at my reading pace. So what I tried to do was to have sections lasting around 20 minutes, give or take a little. Thus, for example, chapters 1 and 19 (39 and 45 pages respectively) would each have four sections, while chapters 12, 13 and 14 (each 18 pages) would comprise two sections each.

I would like to use the same kind of chapter division format that you used for Knots Untied (a great listen!), ie Ch 1 pt 1 etc.

But if you feel there are too many sections, I could make the sections a bit longer and fewer – it would be no problem for me to do that, as I haven’t yet organised the exact points of separation for the sections. Please let me know what you think.

And thanks again, Tiffany, for doing another DPL – I hope to get started early in the new year.

Chris

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » December 22nd, 2019, 7:18 am

That sounds good Chris. It's easy to add (you can do that from the MW), but I have to delete each extra section individually, so wanted to make sure you had ballparked the number.

Enjoy!

MaryAnn

ChrisMS

Post by ChrisMS » December 22nd, 2019, 10:16 am

Thanks MaryAnn, that's great. I'm looking forward to getting started.
Chris

ChrisMS

Post by ChrisMS » January 7th, 2020, 3:52 am

Happy and blessed New Year!

First three sections uploaded and ready for PL.

Chris

fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks » January 11th, 2020, 5:41 am

Happy New Year :D
Those first three are PL OK!
~Tiffany

ChrisMS

Post by ChrisMS » January 16th, 2020, 1:20 pm

Sections 3 and 4 now ready for PL please.

Chris
Chris

fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks » January 27th, 2020, 12:15 pm

Those two are PL OK!
This is so, so good. I think I am off to find more pf his books tonight. Maybe my Mom has some :D.
Have you ever read Watchman Nee? He os my favourite author, but I think I may have found another go to writer!
~Tiffany

ChrisMS

Post by ChrisMS » January 30th, 2020, 5:34 am

Yes, Ryle is really good. I came across Watchman Nee when I was at college (a long time ago!). I remember reading his “The Normal Christian Life”, which was popular among students at the time. A lady in a church we were in many years ago met him when she was in China!

I’ve uploaded Sections 5, 6 and 7 ready for PL.
Chris

fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks » February 5th, 2020, 2:50 pm

these are PL OK!
PLed them at work a few days ago so kept forgetting to update the MW and post at home.
~Tiffany

ChrisMS

Post by ChrisMS » February 14th, 2020, 10:40 am

Thanks Tiffany, no worries, and here are three more - Sections 8, 9, and 10.

Chris

ChrisMS

Post by ChrisMS » March 5th, 2020, 12:55 pm

Here are three more sections ready for PL - sections 11, 12 and 13.