The Cyropaedia (or Cyropedia) is a partly fictional biography of Cyrus the Great, written in the early 4th century BC by the Athenian gentleman-soldier, and student of Socrates, Xenophon of Athens. The title Cyropaedia derives from Greek, meaning "The Education of Cyrus". Aspects of it would become a model for medieval writers of the genre known as mirrors for princes. In turn it was a strong influence upon the most well-known but atypical of these, Machiavelli's The Prince, which was an important influence in the rejection of medieval political thinking, and the development of modern politics. However, unlike most "mirrors of princes", and like The Prince, whether or not the Cyropaedia was really intended to describe an ideal ruler is a subject of debate. Wikipedia ( Wikipedia)
- Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/operaomniarecogn04xenouoft/page/n17
- Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard
- Please notice that I plan to do this recording using the Erasmic pronunciation. However, I intend to pronounce the iota subscripts and observe the lengths of the vowels.
IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!
BC Admin ===========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
[*] Project Code: rgQ3DyC4
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): ( Xenophon) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenophon
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyropaedia
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have:
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 370 BC
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
Genres for the project: Biography & Autobiography, Classics (Greek & Latin Antiquity)
Keywords that describe the book:
[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
- "Ξενοφῶντος Κύρου παιδείας μέρος τὸ πρῶτον. Ἥδ' ἐστὶν ἠχωγραφὴ ὑπὸ τῆς Librivox κοινωνίας πεποιημένη. Πάντα δὲ τἀνταῦθα τηρούμενα ὑπάρχει τῷ κοινῷ κτήματι. Ἄν τε πλεῖον εἰδείης, ἄν τε βοηθοίης τῇ κοινωνίᾳ, εἴθε ἐπισκοποίης τὸν τοῦ διαδικτύου τόπον · Librivox στιγμή org."
For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
- "Ξενοφῶντος Κύρου παιδείας μέρος τὸ [ἀριθμός]. Ἥδε ἡ ἠχωγραφὴ ὑπὸ τῆς Librivox κοινωνίας πεποιημένη ὑπάρχει τῷ κοινῷ κτήματι."
- At the end of the section, say:
"τέλος τοῦ [ἀριθμός] μέρους"
" Ξενοφῶντος Κύρου παιδείας τέλος." [/list]
There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
[*]Example filename cyropaedia_##_xenophon_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. cyropaedia_01_xenophon_128kb.mp3)
[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: Κύρου παιδεία
Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
- Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
- You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: icequeen
- When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
- If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Please post below[/list]