[SOLO] A Critical History of Greek Philosophy by W. T. Stace - ke

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
nkindja

Post by nkindja » September 1st, 2019, 9:14 am

A Critical History of Greek Philosophy by Walter Terence Stace (1886 - 1967).

This book contains the substance, and for the most part the words, of a course of public lectures delivered during the first three months of 1919. The original division into lectures has been dropped, the matter being more conveniently redivided into chapters. ( Walter Terence Stace)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/33411
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin ============================================

Genres for the project: Classics (Greek & Latin Antiquity); *Non-fiction/Philosophy/Ancient; *Non-fiction/History /Antiquity

Keywords that describe the book: philosophy, Ancient Greece, plato, socrates, greece, ancient Greek philosophy, ancient philosophy, history of philosophy

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of A Critical History of Greek Philosophy. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "A Critical History of Greek Philosophy, by Walter Terence Stace. [Chapter #, (part # if applicable), Chapter title]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of A Critical History of Greek Philosophy by Walter Terence Stace. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter #, (part # if applicable), Chapter title]""
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Section #"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of A Critical History of Greek Philosophy, by Walter Terence Stace. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename criticalhistory_##_stace_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. criticalhistory_01_stace_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Walter Terence Stace
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: A Critical History of Greek Philosophy

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kathrinee
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » September 2nd, 2019, 12:11 pm

I can set this project up for you, I'll be back in a little bit with a magic window (MW)

ETA:
There we go!

Well done filling out the template generator to start the project. You are a soloist, and that means you are your own book coordinator (BC). When you upload a section you update the MW as well :)

Here are instructions for how to log in to the MW for the first time:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxWB83bbALTQYjlENGZ0SVJUWWs

And this document explains the responsibilities and how-tos for the BC and DPLs (dedicated proof listeners):
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ

There is no need to fill in the ID3 tags for your recordings. :)

Let's stay in the Launch Pad for a day or two or three while you make sure you can access the MW and maybe fill out the titles of the different sections. Maybe a prooflistener comes along, too!

Please holler if you have any quesitons :thumbs:
Kathrine

nkindja

Post by nkindja » September 2nd, 2019, 2:45 pm

Hi Kathrine,

Thanks a lot for setting this up!

Just one quick question - a lot of the chapters have "subsections" within them (i.e. Chapter IV discusses 3 different philosophers, all of whom have their own section/header; Chapter XII is divided into sections i - vii). How exactly should I handle this? Should all of the "subsections" go into one section/chapter, or should I divide them up?

(Also note that the entirety of Chapter XII is about 70 pages, so I think it will have to be divided up by necessity - just not sure exactly how I should label the divisions)

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » September 2nd, 2019, 9:03 pm

70 pages definitely sound too long for one section :shock:

I would recommend dividing the chapters as you see fit. You don't have to absolutely make those decisions before you are actually reading :)

If it makes sense to read a whole chapter, subsections and all in one section, great, do that. If a chapter is way long, divide it in for instance Chapter 5, Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3. The different parts may or may not coincide with (each) subsection of the chapter. I am looking at chapter XII, about Plato, the long one, and you might want to divide the sections/reordings differently than the subheadings of the chapter. I think you should feel free to do so.

Since some chapters will be divided in multiple sections (72 minutes is the maximum), I recommend using "Section" in the intro and outro. I will change that in the first post right now.

In the MW, under titles, I would put for instance
Chapter 1, The idea of Philosophy in general
Chapter 12, Plato, part 1, [title]
Chapter 12, Plato, part 2, [title]

(Please not that these are random!) It seems a good idea to write the chapter titles in the MW.

I can add more sections as needed, as you record :)

Hope that helps -- and if it doesn't please ask again!
Kathrine

nkindja

Post by nkindja » September 3rd, 2019, 9:19 am

That helped a lot - thank you! :D

Since I'm somewhat new to this, I've never encountered footnotes before. How exactly are those to be dealt with (there's one in the preface)? Should I just skip over them?

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » September 4th, 2019, 5:17 pm

I'd like to volunteer to PL this :)
~Rosebud

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » September 5th, 2019, 6:41 pm

nkindja wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 9:19 am
That helped a lot - thank you! :D

Since I'm somewhat new to this, I've never encountered footnotes before. How exactly are those to be dealt with (there's one in the preface)? Should I just skip over them?
It is up to you how to deal with them. If you feel that they add to the text, you can include them. It is ok to include some footnotes in a book and not others. If it is a short footnote (like the one in the preface), I would just read it, where it belongs in the sentence, as an aside would be on the stage:
"...says a popular modern writer (normal voice), H. G. Wells in "First and Last Things."(slightly changed voice) "bring the young min... (normal voice again)

If it is a longer footnote that cannot comfortably be accomodated within the sentence I read it at the next period and say "Footnote. [read footnote]. End of footnote" and then pick up on the next sentence in the text.
Kathrine

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » September 5th, 2019, 7:37 pm

RSlabaugh wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 5:17 pm
I'd like to volunteer to PL this :)
Welcome on board! I'll add you so you have access to the MW
Kathrine

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » September 7th, 2019, 8:53 am

Thank you! :) I'm able to access the MW. :thumbs:
~Rosebud

nkindja

Post by nkindja » October 21st, 2019, 7:55 am

Just a quick update since I haven't posted in some time -

I've been bogged down with exams over the past month, but my schedule looks to be opening up for the near future. I have managed to do a bit of recording in the meantime, but I haven't gotten around to editing anything yet (hence why nothing is uploaded at this time). I should be able to make some reasonable headway over the course of the next couple of weeks!

Thanks again!

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » October 21st, 2019, 3:42 pm

Thanks for the update! I’ve been keeping busy with other projects, but I’ll gladly PL for you whenever you’re ready! :wink: Take whatever time you need, and if it takes longer than expected just give another update.
~Rosebud

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » October 21st, 2019, 9:09 pm

Thank you for checking in :)
Kathrine

nkindja

Post by nkindja » December 2nd, 2019, 4:03 pm

Sorry again for the prolonged delay! :(

Here is Section 00 @ 13:40:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/criticalhistory_00_stace_128kb.mp3

More to come soon, and thanks again! :)

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » December 5th, 2019, 9:46 pm

nkindja wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 4:03 pm
Sorry again for the prolonged delay! :(

Here is Section 00 @ 13:40:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/criticalhistory_00_stace_128kb.mp3

PL OK :thumbs:

Hearing the preface makes me glad I signed up to PL! Sounds like a book I’ll enjoy, and you do a great job with it. Your pace is just perfect in my opinion! :)
~Rosebud

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » April 21st, 2020, 9:17 am

nkindja wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 4:03 pm
How soon? :wink:

I decided I’d post just so you know I haven’t forgotten about my part in this project. Hope you’re doing OK!
~Rosebud