[HISTORY] The State of Society in France Before the Revolution of 1789, by Alexis de Tocqueville -jo

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
DanielGarcia

Post by DanielGarcia » August 16th, 2019, 3:38 pm

The State of Society in France Before the Revolution of 1789 by Alexis de Tocqueville (1805 - 1859). Translated by Henry Reeve (1813 - 1895)

L'Ancien Régime et la Révolution (1856) is a work by the French historian Alexis de Tocqueville

The book analyzes French society before the French Revolution, the so-called "Ancien Régime", and investigates the forces that caused the Revolution. It is one of the major early historical works on the French Revolution. In this book, de Tocqueville develops his main theory about the French revolution, the theory of continuity, in which he states that even though the French tried to dissociate themselves from the past and from the autocratic old regime, they eventually reverted to a powerful central government. (Wikipedia)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/54187
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): special

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History /Modern (19th C)

Keywords that describe the book: history, revolution, french revolution, translation, liberalism, alexis de tocqueville, henry reeves, retrospective

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The State of Society in France Before the Revolution of 1789. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The State of Society in France Before the Revolution of 1789, by Alexis de Tocqueville. Translated by Henry Reeve[Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The State of Society in France Before the Revolution of 1789 by Alexis de Tocqueville. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The State of Society in France Before the Revolution of 1789, by Alexis de Tocqueville. Translated by Henry Reeve"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename stateofsocietyinfrance_##_detocqueville_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. stateofsocietyinfrance_01_detocqueville_128kb.mp3)
  • ID3 V2 tags are added automatically during cataloging.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by DanielGarcia on August 19th, 2019, 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanielGarcia

Post by DanielGarcia » August 16th, 2019, 3:45 pm

Whoops, didn't notice I had Mr. Reeve's name backwards in the title.

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » August 16th, 2019, 9:34 pm

Hi Daniel. This is a very ambitious solo after recording only one 20 minute section. Are you sure you are ready for this kind of time commitment? I'm not trying to talk you out of it - just making sure you know what you are getting yourself into. :)
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

DanielGarcia

Post by DanielGarcia » August 17th, 2019, 12:32 pm

Yeah it's no joke! I'll get it done though, if I survive long enough. :mrgreen:

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » August 19th, 2019, 9:06 am

Daniel,

This project is now set up in the database. Since this will be your first project as soloist/book coordinator(BC), you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the "Magic Window" in the top post. Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler.

First Time Logging in to the Workflow

Instructions for BCs and DPLs

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.

BCs - How to Update the Magic Window

Please also note I have shortened the intro and outro text and suggested filenames.

Also I see you have requested word perfect prooflistening. You may find that it will be difficult to find someone willing to do word perfect PL, especially on such a long work. I suggest you reconsider and use standard or special PL (Special PL allows you to add special requests over and above standard PL, e.g., you could ask the DPL to follow along in the text while listening, but only note deviations from the text that are significant or change the meaning).

If you have any questions, let me know. I'll leave this thread here in the Launch Pad for a day or so longer before I move it to the Going Solo forum, to see if a DPL (Dedicated Prooflistener) volunteers. Looking forward to working with you.
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

DanielGarcia

Post by DanielGarcia » August 19th, 2019, 3:41 pm

knotyouraveragejo wrote:
August 19th, 2019, 9:06 am

Also I see you have requested word perfect prooflistening. You may find that it will be difficult to find someone willing to do word perfect PL, especially on such a long work. I suggest you reconsider and use standard or special PL (Special PL allows you to add special requests over and above standard PL, e.g., you could ask the DPL to follow along in the text while listening, but only note deviations from the text that are significant or change the meaning).
Thanks Jo! I went ahead and changed it to special PL. I'm going to be striving for a high degree of accuracy myself, so it'll work either way.

ej400

Post by ej400 » August 19th, 2019, 5:44 pm

I don't think we're allowed to use wikipedia for summaries either, but I'm not entirely sure. Can you clarify this Jo?

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » August 19th, 2019, 7:53 pm

We've a long way to go before Daniel needs to worry about a summary for the catalog, Elijah. Wikipedia summaries are fine for purposes of the forum. (to interest readers or in this case a DPL).
Jo
My Librivox Solos

ej400

Post by ej400 » August 21st, 2019, 4:36 am

knotyouraveragejo wrote:
August 19th, 2019, 7:53 pm
We've a long way to go before Daniel needs to worry about a summary for the catalog, Elijah. Wikipedia summaries are fine for purposes of the forum. (to interest readers or in this case a DPL).
I'd be happy to DPL, these are on the nice and short side.

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » August 22nd, 2019, 9:08 pm

Thanks, Elijah. I add you as DPL once Daniel acknowledges your post. He has requested Special PL, so you will need to see what he has in mind and if you are OK with that.
Jo
My Librivox Solos

DanielGarcia

Post by DanielGarcia » August 24th, 2019, 4:55 pm

ej400 wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 4:36 am

I'd be happy to DPL, these are on the nice and short side.
Thanks! Sorry for the late reply. The only special request I had was what Jo mentioned about following along in the text, but it's all fine really. I should have the first sectioned posted soon. I appreciate it guys!

ej400

Post by ej400 » October 2nd, 2019, 9:08 am

Hello Daniel,
I'm not trying to rush you into doing anything, but I'm kindly wondering if your still interested in this project?

Hope to hear from you soon. Have a wonderful day or night, whatever time it may be for you when you see this. :D <smile>

DanielGarcia

Post by DanielGarcia » October 4th, 2019, 9:33 pm

Yep, still alive! I've been meaning to at least check in. I did record the first section, I've just been fiddling with it too much. And of course, real life stuff has slowed me down, but yeah, still doin it!

ej400

Post by ej400 » December 13th, 2019, 9:51 pm

DanielGarcia wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 9:33 pm
Yep, still alive! I've been meaning to at least check in. I did record the first section, I've just been fiddling with it too much. And of course, real life stuff has slowed me down, but yeah, still doin it!
Hey Daniel,
It's been about two months since you last posted here. Are you still interested in this project?

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » December 14th, 2019, 11:17 pm

Ellijah,
If you would like, I can take you off the project. Daniel hasn't been on the forum since early Oct. I usually give soloists about 3 months before I start posting to see if they are still working on the project. As the DPL, there is no need for you to keep posting every month. :)
Jo
My Librivox Solos