COMPLETE [Dialogue] Zeus the Tragedian, by Lucian-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Foon

Post by Foon »

Lucian's Dialogues Volume 4: Zeus the Tragedian by Lucian of Samosata (c. 125 - c. 180). Translated by Howard Williams (1837 - 1931)

Foon has not been on LV for several months, so MaryAnn has taken over as BC on this project. We will look for an editor once parts have been completed.

Final PL: Lucasoliveira

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/zeus-the-tragedian-by-lucian-of-samosata/

GENDER NEUTRAL CASTING!
[/color][/b]
Zeus, gloomy and in tragic distress, is implored by Hermes and Athena to divulge the cause of his melancholy condition; while Hera, true to her Homeric character, confidently attributes it to another earthly amour. The king of gods and men, thus adjured, announced the true reason of his anxiety--daring assaults upon the character of himself and the rest of the Olympian divinities, and, in fact, denial of their very existence by the skeptics. What would be the best course to pursue? ( Foon)
  1. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  3. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/dialoguesnamelyd00luci/page/168
  5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
  7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:At the beginning: Zeus the Tragedian by Lucian. Translated by Howard Williams (1837 - 1931) This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Zeus the Tragedian.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Save files as 128 kbps MP3
    zeus_[role]_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case).

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Foon on May 29th, 2019, 6:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
Foon

Post by Foon »

I have been contemplating whether to post this to the one-act play collection or not, but I decided not to for two reasons:
- I don't know if it will fit into a single section, and
- I'd like to run the entirety of the linked book in 6 parts:
1. Dialogues of the Gods (currently in progress),
2. Dialogues of the Sea-Gods
3. Dialogues of the Dead
4. Zeus the Tragedian (this one)
5. The Ferry-Boat: or, The Tyrant,
6. Three Dialogues by Lucian (The Convicted Zeus, The Convention of the Gods, and Menippus).
These last three are dialogues between two or three people, and are a lot shorter than 4. and 5., which is why I'd like to combine them into one volume.
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Foon,

I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.

MaryAnn
Foon

Post by Foon »

Thanks MaryAnn!

The MW is all set up, so we're ready for claims!

I'm looking for a DPL for the final play, and a part PL too (but if no one shows up for the latter, I will do it myself).

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

Lucasoliveira wrote: May 25th, 2019, 3:49 pm Hi Foon, I can DPL the final play!
Excellent, thanks so much! :D

Readers needed:
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

Is casting gender neutral or specific? If neutral may I claim Hermes, if specific may I claim Athena?
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
Foon

Post by Foon »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: May 25th, 2019, 3:56 pm Is casting gender neutral or specific? If neutral may I claim Hermes, if specific may I claim Athena?
Gender neutral! I'll specify it in the first post. I'm going to run the rest of Lucian's works that I found over time, and it's mostly all men... So I'm definitely not gonna go with gender specific!
So, Hermes it is for you, thanks! :D

Readers needed:
aaronwhite1977

Post by aaronwhite1977 »

This looks great! I was thinking Hermès, but, I just may have to ask for Zeus.

And then back off a bit, too many things to read!

Aaron
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

I'd like Athena please
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I've added Lucas to MW access. I'm leaving the PL role in the MW empty for now as you are still looking for someone to PL parts.

MaryAnn
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

I can do Timokles. :)
Tomas Peter
KIBBONAFIDE

Post by KIBBONAFIDE »

How about Kollosus!
Josh Kibbey
Foon

Post by Foon »

Great! Thanks everyone, MW updated! :D

Readers needed:
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

I assume the MC is maryannspiegel? It currently says "yy-yyyy" in the topic post.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/zeus_athena_128kb.mp3
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page