[COMPLETE] The History of Philosophy by William Turner - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

History of Philosophy by William Turner (1871-1936).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/history-of-philosophy-by-william-turner/

The History of Philosophy is the exposition of philosophical opinions and of systems and schools of philosophy. It includes the study of the lives of philosophers, the inquiry into the mutual connection of schools and systems of thought, and the attempt to trace the course of philosophical progress. Topics covered include Ancient Philosophy (Babylon, China, India, Egypt, Greece and Rome) Christian Era Philosophy (St. Anselm, Thomas Aquinas, William of Ockam) and Modern Philosophy (including Descartes, Spinoza, Kant and Hegel.) (Summary by Beth Thomas and the Introduction)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/historyofphiloso00turn/page/n5
      Alternative text link with Greek words rendered into English script: https://maritain.nd.edu/jmc/etext/hop09.htm
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number/s and parts if relevant] of History of Philosophy. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "History of Philosophy, by William Turner. [Chapter Number and Title]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of History of Philosophy, by William Turner. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      historyofphilosophy_##_turner_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. historyofphilosophy_01_turner_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by Elizabby on October 24th, 2019, 6:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Can I DPL? :D
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

That would be great! Looks like a super interesting book!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'll MC.

Hmm. I don't think this is the correct Turner. If the book was copyrighted 1903, I don't think someone born in 1914 wrote it. :lol:
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

No I deliberately tried not to link the William Turner we already have in the catalogue. This is Professor Willian Turner, I think he’s a theologian.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I got him. He even has a Wikipedia page. 8-)

You're all set!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Ok, that was a tricky MW to set up, but I think we are now ready for claims!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moving to Readers Wanted. :)
Horner94

Post by Horner94 »

Hello,

May I claim Sections 11 and 12?

I have a question: Do you want me to record myself reading the Greek portions of the text?

I apologise, but I have attempted both sections already (although these are not the finished product), but I wanted your opinion on the audio quality?

Please have a listen to the following audio recordings for Sections 11 and 12:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/historyofphilosophy_11_turner_128kb.mp3 Time 01:18:48

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/historyofphilosophy_12_turner_128kb.mp3 Time 10:45

Kind regards,
Chad
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Hi Chad, welcome to the project!

Yes, I'd be happy for you to read sections 11 and 12. Here is another text which has the Greek rendered into English script - just read it as written, being sure to pronounce every syllable phonetically: https://maritain.nd.edu/jmc/etext/hop09.htm

So for example "episteme" (knowledge) should have four syllables "Ep-pee-stay-may" (That's the French "ay" of the accented "e" in there.) I mention this because English speakers are sometimes inclined to cut short the last vowel and make it sound like "epi-steam", which isn't ideal. That said, do your best and we won't be too picky! :9:

This should be fine for adding corrections, as you've already recorded the body of the text from the one linked at the top. If you notice any discrepancies, please use the version in the linked text from the first post.

You may also find useful howjsay.com which is a free online dictionary for pronunciation (it talks to you) or forvo.com (which includes regional and foreign language pronunciations). I noticed you struggled with the word "abstemiousness" - I often come across new words in these texts as some language has changed in 100 years! I usually just pause my recording and look it up, then go back to recording.

I think you'll find as you edit that the file gets shorter, so it should end up as less than an hour overall. If it looks like being longer than our file limit of 72 minutes, please let me know and I'll create another section for you. You'll notice that some of the longer chapters are split already. Once you are happy with your final edited version, re-export using the same filename and upload to us, and then my links in the MW will still work! For now, I have deliberately not marked these files as "Ready for PL" but left them simply "assigned" to you. Please give me the final file lengths when you are ready.

Audio quality: I notice your files are very soft currently, they will need to be both amplified and noise cleaned. (Instructions are in the Wiki linked at the top of the page if you need help.) Other than that, you have a lovely speaking voice and I'm sure the files will polish up beautifully after a bit of editing!
Horner94

Post by Horner94 »

Hi Elizabby,

Thank you for your reply. I added the Greek words into my audio recording.

I noticed that my audio recording exceeds the 72 minutes that you mentioned was the limit. File length = 1 hr, 18m, 48.137s.

Please review audio recording for Section 11:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/historyofphilosophy_11_turner_128kb.mp3

I look forward to hearing back from you :thumbs:

Kind regards,
Chad
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I mean once your recording is fully edited they usually lose some length - 78mins unedited should comfortably come in under 72 minutes fully edited. (Most people lose more than 10% in editing, and this recording has some quite long pauses in it.)

This file is too long to PL more than once, so please only submit it for PL once it is fully edited and as close to perfect as you can make it.

It is still very soft, so will definitely need both amplification and noise cleaning. I usually do that last, as it makes it difficult to add words afterwards.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 64, please.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

You got it!
kassiey

Post by kassiey »

Hi!

Can I claim section1&2?
By the way there are too many difficult names in this book. Is there any pronunciation guide we can refer to other than merriam webster dictionary?

Thanks!