[COMPLETE] Zone Policeman 88: A Close Range Study of the Panama Canal and Its Workers - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Zone Policeman 88; A Close Range Study of the Panama Canal and Its Workers by Harry A. Franck (1881 - 1962).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/zone-policeman-88-by-harry-a-franck/

Volunteers outside the USA: Harry A. Franck died in 1962. His work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, and Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1954).
Harry A. Franck was an American travel writer. After publishing Vagabond Journey Around the World, he spent 3 months in the Canal Zone of Panama as a census-taker and police officer. This work is a series of vignettes of the Panama Canal under construction, with plenty of color and dialect. NOTE: There are racial terms and attitudes expressed in this work that will be objectionable today. ( TriciaG)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4786
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.
    Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] (Part [number]) of Zone Policeman 88. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      " Zone Policeman 88; A Close Range Study of the Panama Canal and Its Workers, by Harry A. Franck. Chapter [number] (Part [number])."

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Chapter [number] (Part [number]) "
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Zone Policeman 88; A Close Range Study of the Panama Canal and Its Workers, by Harry A. Franck. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    zonepoliceman88_##_franck_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. zonepoliceman88_01_franck_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

May I claim section 1?

Thanks, Todd
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Absolutely! :D
LaurenEmma3

Post by LaurenEmma3 »

Please could I have Chapter 3 part 1 and Chapter 3 part 2?

Thank-you,

Lauren-Emma
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

LaurenEmma3 wrote: May 12th, 2019, 6:37 am Please could I have Chapter 3 part 1 and Chapter 3 part 2?

Thank-you,

Lauren-Emma
Sections 4 and 5 are yours. Thanks! 8-)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Here is Section 1. Great story, well told - even better for being true.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/zonepoliceman88_01_franck_128kb.mp3

Length 18:38

Thanks, Todd
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thanks! Won't be able to listen for a few hours.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

A little more than a few hours. :) PL OK!
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Okay. Howsabout then I continue and read section 2?

Thanks, Todd
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sounds good to me! You don't want to be left hanging like that, at that river watcher's hut! 8-)
verycherrey

Post by verycherrey »

May I read chapter 2? Female voice.
A hundred times a day I remind myself that my inner and outer life depend on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the measure as I have received and am still receiving.

-Albert Einstein
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

verycherrey wrote: July 5th, 2019, 12:59 am May I read chapter 2? Female voice.
You're in! Thanks! 8-)
verycherrey

Post by verycherrey »

Here you go Tricia

File: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/zonepoliceman88_02_franck_128kb.mp3
Title: Zone Policeman 88; A Close Range Study of the Panama Canal and Its Workers, Chapter 2
by Harry A. Franck.
Length in minutes: 35.09
Reader's Name: Mickey Lee Rich
A hundred times a day I remind myself that my inner and outer life depend on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the measure as I have received and am still receiving.

-Albert Einstein
verycherrey

Post by verycherrey »

Correction: Time is 35:11

-Albert Einstein
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thanks!

FYI, the file name should have an 03 as the number, rather than an 02. Because chapters are broken up, the file/section numbers don't correspond with the chapter numbers. :)

Nicely read! The only issue (well, two of them) is the volume.

Because you had some places where you speak louder (laugh, etc.) so that you can't simply amplify enough because those loud places prevent it from getting loud enough.

So, do compression to your recording. If you want a video to tell you a bit about compression, here's one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ3lOTDsN6c

These settings should be good enough in this case:

Threshold: -28 dB
Noise Floor: -40 dB
Ratio: 3:1
Attack: 0.1 (as low as it goes)
Decay: 1.0 (as low as it goes)
NO checks in the check boxes

After compression, amplify as much as it can without clipping, which when I try it out is 12.49 dB.

---

The second issue, after the amplifying, is that your background noise is now louder.

Here are a couple resources with how-to instructions:
text instructions: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noisecleaning_With_Pics
video, but with an older version of Audacity so the settings are different: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFSg9o37HMw

My settings are as follows:
Noise reduction: 10-16 (I suggest about 14 for you)
Sensitivity: 6
Frequency Smoothing: 6

Holler if you have questions. :) Rename the file when you edit it to have the 03 in the name, and post again when the edited file is ready.