[Complete] State of the Union Addresses 1885-1888 – m8b1

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
linny

Post by linny »

State of the Union Addresses by United States Presidents (1885 - 1888).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/state-of-the-union-addresses-by-united-states-presidents-1885-1888-by-grover-cleveland/

The State of the Union address is a speech presented by the President of the United States to a joint session of the United States Congress, typically delivered annually. The address not only reports on the condition of the nation but also allows the President to outline his legislative agenda (for which he needs the cooperation of Congress) and national priorities. This album contains recordings of addresses from Grover Cleveland. (Wikipedia)
This is the 11th out of 27 projects. Prior addresses are found here: https://librivox.org/search?q=state%20of%20the%20union&search_form=advanced
Some stats are found here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61256&hilit=state+of+the+union
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/5050
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: Special - Please follow text while PLing. I'm not looking for word perfect. The language is sometimes awkward and following the text will help identify errors which the ear alone may not find. Linny will act as DPL

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      Less than 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of State of the Union Addresses (1885 - 1888). This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "[section title: President, date of address, and part number]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Section]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of State of the Union Addresses (1885 - 1888) "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      stateoftheunion_1885_1888_##_various_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. stateoftheunion_1885_1888_01_various_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags
      Please ignore tags - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
        https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: m8b1
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
linny

Post by linny »

Dear MC,
Please link this project to our group search. https://librivox.org/search?q=state%20of%20the%20union&search_form=advanced
linny

Post by linny »

Section breakdown:
Note: If you are claiming all sections for an Address feel free to split the sections differently. Be sure to post your preferred start/stop for your DPL.

4. Grover Cleveland, December 6, 1886, part 1 - 3980 words. Read through: Representations continue to be made to me of the injurious effect upon American artists studying abroad and having free access to the art collections of foreign countries of maintaining a discriminating duty against the introduction of the works of their brother artists of other countries, and I am induced to repeat my recommendation for the abolition of that tax.
5. Grover Cleveland, December 6, 1886, part 2 - 4377 words. Read from: Pursuant to a provision of the diplomatic and consular appropriation act approved July 1, 1886, the estimates submitted by the Secretary of State for the maintenance of the consular service have been recast on the basis of salaries for all officers to whom such allowance is deemed advisable. Read through: It would seem desirable that the wants of the Army and the Navy in this regard should be reasonably met, and that by uniting their contracts such inducement might be offered as would result in securing the domestication of these important interests.
6. Grover Cleveland, December 6, 1886, part 3 - 6786 words. Read from: The affairs of the postal service show marked and gratifying improvement during the past year. A particular account of its transactions and condition is given in the report of the Postmaster-General, which will be laid before you.

7. Grover Cleveland, December 6, 1887 - 5290 words. No split.

8. Grover Cleveland, December 3, 1888, part 1 - Claimed Mar 13 Kikisaulite - 4605 words. Read through: It is sincerely hoped that by the cessation of the influx of this class of Chinese subjects, in accordance with the expressed wish of both Governments, a cause of unkind feeling has been permanently removed.
9. Grover Cleveland, December 3, 1888, part 2 - Claimed Mar 13 Kikisaulite - 4419 words. Read from: On the 9th of August, 1887, notification was given by the Japanese minister at this capital of the adjournment of the conference for the revision of the treaties of Japan with foreign powers, owing to the objection of his Government to the provision in the draft jurisdictional convention which required the submission of the criminal code of the Empire to the powers in advance of its becoming operative.
Last edited by linny on May 10th, 2019, 9:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

I noticed this archive doesn't have Cleveland's second term! 1893-1896 are missing.

In anycase, I'd like to claim sections 1,2, and 3, please!
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

And I would like sections 8 and 9, please. I suppose, it is OK if we record these after the March madness is over?
Kristine :)
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
linny

Post by linny »

realisticspeakers wrote: March 13th, 2019, 9:40 am I noticed this archive doesn't have Cleveland's second term! 1893-1896 are missing.

I was planning to do Harrison's 1889-1892 term before Cleveland's second term.

Sections 1-3 are all yours. Thank you!
linny

Post by linny »

Kikisaulite wrote: March 13th, 2019, 9:46 am And I would like sections 8 and 9, please. I suppose, it is OK if we record these after the March madness is over?
Kristine :)
Absolutely ok to wait. You have 2 months so have fun in the March cleanup before worrying about these. 8 and 9 are yours. Thank you.
realisticspeakers

linny wrote: March 13th, 2019, 9:48 am
realisticspeakers wrote: March 13th, 2019, 9:40 am I noticed this archive doesn't have Cleveland's second term! 1893-1896 are missing.

I was planning to do Harrison's 1889-1892 term before Cleveland's second term.

Sections 1-3 are all yours. Thank you!
I take it you have an alternate source for Cleveland's second term? It ain't in this collection! :shock:
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
linny

Post by linny »

realisticspeakers wrote: March 13th, 2019, 10:25 am I take it you have an alternate source for Cleveland's second term? It ain't in this collection! :shock:
I sure do! It's on wikisource and I just checked to make sure it's still there and still PD. https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Grover_Cleveland%27s_Fifth_State_of_the_Union_Address

We won't run into another missing section again until 1989. At our current rate that's another three years from now.
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

I'll MC for you. The MW is all set ~ have fun!
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
linny

Post by linny »

Maria,
Thank you for giving us another chance! I will not forget to double check the MW this time.

As for now, we are all set and ready for the trip to readers wanted whenever you are.
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Over to Readers Wanted........
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
realisticspeakers

https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/stateoftheunion_1885_1888_01_various_128kb.mp3

[54:59]

...increase our interests in any transisthmian route...
Disclaimer:
realisticspeakers

Disclaimer:
realisticspeakers

https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/stateoftheunion_1885_1888_03_various_128kb.mp3

[56:04]

Really, there hasn't been this much pain since Madison. Apologies.
Disclaimer: