[COMPLETE] The Half-Breed by Walt Whitman - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

The Half-Breed: A Tale of the Western Frontier by Walt Whitman (1819 - 1892).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-half-breed-a-tale-of-the-western-frontier-by-walt-whitman/
Published anonymously in The Brooklyn Daily Eagle (with an earlier draft also appearing as “Arrow-Tip” in The Aristidean), The Half-Breed: A Tale of the Western Frontier is one of the few known works of long-form fiction written by Walt Whitman during the earliest part of his career. It tells the story of Arrow-Tip, a Native American who falls victim to frontier prejudice after the presumed murder of local blacksmith Peter Brown. Despite his presumed innocence, he is soon sentenced to die by hanging — even though there exists evidence that could possibly exonerate him. This narrative is further complicated by the presence of Boddo, a hideously deformed hunchback who is ostracized by the white settlers due to his mixed-race heritage. Fueled by spite and anger, Boddo uses this opportunity to take vengeance upon those who once tormented and humiliated him
( ChuckW)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://whitmanarchive.org/published/fiction/shortfiction/per.00354.html
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

Genres for the project: General Fiction/Published 1800 -1900

Keywords that describe the book: Native Americans, serial fiction, miscegenation, american frontier, capital punishment

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Half-Breed: A Tale of the Western Frontier. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Half-Breed: A Tale of the Western Frontier, by Walt Whitman. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Half-Breed: A Tale of the Western Frontier by Walt Whitman. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Half-Breed: A Tale of the Western Frontier, by Walt Whitman. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename halfbreed_##_whitman_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. halfbreed_01_whitman_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: craigdav1
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by ChuckW on May 21st, 2019, 3:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

I apologize for starting another solo before my last one (which is technically finished) has even been submitted into the catalogue. I was just eager to move forward with this one. :-)

By the way, if you're wondering why I'm being so specific about the date of completion, it's because I'm trying to get this into the catalogue in time for Walt Whitman's 200th birthday -- which, believe it or not, is just around the corner! If anyone else wants to join me, there's plenty of early Whitman material we haven't recorded yet, including his Complete Prose Works (which is something of a misnomer, since it is far from complete) and his early temperance novel Franklin Evans; or, The Inebriate (which I briefly considered doing before finding this one). I think we've already done most of his poetry, but there's a ton of miscellany we could start working on, if you guys are up for it.

I'm also eager to start up a project that will be short and relatively easy to get through. :9:
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Hey, mind if I tag along as DPL?

I do have your last solo chapter ready to PL, and should get to it later tonight.
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

silverquill wrote: March 2nd, 2019, 8:54 pm Hey, mind if I tag along as DPL?

I do have your last solo chapter ready to PL, and should get to it later tonight.
That would be incredible! Thank you so much! :9:

I promise, this one is far more coherent than the last one (and please, no rush on getting to that last chapter -- I'm in no hurry).

As always, I appreciate your help and guidance. Looking forward to working with you again. :D
PROJECTS
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

MW coming up.

edit: Let me know if any changes are needed.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

craigdav1 wrote: March 3rd, 2019, 9:32 pm MW coming up.

edit: Let me know if any changes are needed.
Thank you so much!

And the gang's all back together! 8-) Guess I'd better get started.
PROJECTS
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Moving topic to the Going Solo forum.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

PROJECTS
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

ChuckW wrote: March 5th, 2019, 11:04 am And so it begins!

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/halfbreed_01_whitman_128kb.mp3 [20:11]
Starting off with PL OK! :)
~ Larry
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

silverquill wrote: March 6th, 2019, 9:37 am
ChuckW wrote: March 5th, 2019, 11:04 am And so it begins!

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/halfbreed_01_whitman_128kb.mp3 [20:11]
Starting off with PL OK! :)
Thanks Larry! :-)

Unfortunately, I'm a little under the weather right now, so no new chapters until next week.
PROJECTS
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Chapter 2 is edited and uploaded. :-)

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/halfbreed_02_whitman_128kb.mp3 [11:01]

Just a quick note: I'm starting a new job next week, which is definitely very exciting but will also cus down on the time I have available to record considerably. This should only be a huge deal during the first month-and-a-half, when I'll essentially be working two jobs at once and won't get home until the late, late hours of the evening on most nights. A difficult transition, but it'll be worth it in the end.

To keep us on schedule, I've decided to concentrate more on recording than editing right now. I've already recorded chapters 3-6 and will try to finish up the last three later in the week. So rather than record and upload as I go through the book, I'll probably wait until I've finished recording everything before I start editing the rest of the chapters. I hope that's okay.
PROJECTS
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Chapter 2 is PL OK!

Congrats on the new job! These transitions can be stressful even if they are good.
But, thanks for letting me know of your plans. Absolutely fine, of course!

All the best. :clap:
~ Larry
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Chapter 3: https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/halfbreed_03_whitman_128kb.mp3 [12:49]

Thanks again, Larry. I've got most of the book recorded now, with two chapters left. I'm slowly tinkering away with the rest.
PROJECTS
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

PROJECTS
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

ChuckW wrote: April 7th, 2019, 3:32 pm And Chapter 4: https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/halfbreed_04_whitman_128kb.mp3 [19:10]
Forgot to post my notes last night.

Section 3 is PL OK
Section 4 needs only a volume adjustment. Checker measures it as 84.9 dB
~ Larry