[SOLO MIDDLE ENGLISH] Syr Gawayn and the Grene Knight-annise

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears » January 1st, 2019, 8:19 pm

Syr Gawayn and the Grene Knight by The Gawain Poet ( - ).

A mysterious Green Knight arrives at King Arthur's court at Camelot to propose a New Year's game. Strike the Knight a blow with an axe, and receive the same blow one year hence. Sir Gawain takes up the challenge and beheads the Green Knight, who coolly picks up his head and rides away, leaving instructions for Gawain to meet him one year later at the Green Chapel. The year goes by and as winter draws on Sir Gawain sets out on his quest...

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight is a 14th century chivalric poem written in a northern dialect of Middle English. The unknown author, often called the Gawain poet, is thought to have lived in Cheshire in the north-west of England. Only a single copy of the manuscript survives. This version of the manuscript, edited by Sir Frederic Madden in 1839, is read in Middle English alliterative verse, as it would have been heard by the poet's contemporaries. This recording can be listened to in conjunction with several modern English translations and retellings of the Gawain poem in the Librivox catalogue. ( Phil Benson)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/syrgawaynecoll6100madduoft/page/n86
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
    [*] Project Code: jsHdY55V

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): ( The Gawain Poet) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_Poet

[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Gawain_and_the_Green_Knight
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 4
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    [*]Original publication date (if known): 1839
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================ [/size]

Genres for the project: Poetry/Epics

Keywords that describe the book: middle english, chivalry, King Arthur

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of Syr Gawayn and the Grene Knicht. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "Syr Gawayn and the Grene Knicht, by The Gawain Poet. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of Syr Gawayn and the Grene Knicht by The Gawain Poet. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Syr Gawayn and the Grene Knicht, by The Gawain Poet. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename gawayn_##_gawainpoet_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. gawayn_##_gawainpoet_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: annise
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]

eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears » January 1st, 2019, 8:24 pm

Annise will MC and Newgatenovelist DPL. Appropriate, but entirely coincidental, that I'm posting this at New Year!

kayray
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kayray » January 1st, 2019, 9:15 pm

Ooo I'm excited about this. I love the sound of Middle English.
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » January 2nd, 2019, 7:12 pm

MW all done,

Anne

Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist » January 3rd, 2019, 3:32 am

All ready to go on a quest!
Erin

eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears » January 4th, 2019, 4:00 am

Fytte the first - redye fir PL!

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/gawayn_01_gawaynpoet.mp3 - 33:14

Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist » January 5th, 2019, 4:06 pm

I have a note for fytte the first - although listening to this has made me realise how long it's been since I read ME, let alone listened to it!

12.31-12.36, p. 9 last line/l. 189, antepenultimate word omitted
[] fayre grene,

Does the above make sense? I'm not sure how to do PL notes with non-standard characters!

I've also discovered yet another cool radio programme if you have a long drive and need material! It's five Walter de la Mare ghost stories, all abridged to half-hour slots, and each one with a different (very good) reader. The first one (the one that will be taken down first) is still up for more than three weeks:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00x18hm/episodes/player

eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears » January 20th, 2019, 5:01 am

Corrected.

Yes, it made sense when I looked at the text. Are these yogs and thorns? The one you corrected can be 'th' (which I'm supposed to pronounce as in 'think', not 'this' - though I'm finding it difficult to keep that up!). The other is more difficult - ch as 'loch', y as in 'yacht', or 'w', depending on the word - I'm relying either on the alliteration or the modern meaning for that.

But I don't suppose there are really any hard and fast rules, because he keeps changing the spelling. For example, I am sticking to Gawain, even though it is sometimes spelled Wawain.

Newgatenovelist wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 4:06 pm
12.31-12.36, p. 9 last line/l. 189, antepenultimate word omitted
[] fayre grene,

Does the above make sense? I'm not sure how to do PL notes with non-standard characters!

Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist » January 20th, 2019, 11:34 am

Section 1 is PL OK.

I'm glad on some level that you're grappling with this instead of just finding it as straightforward as modern English. When I first started listening I thought, crikey it's been a long time since I worked with ME. You're keeping me on my toes! I'm far too coddled with standardised spelling.