SOLO: Reason in Religion by George Santayana-ans

Post ALL new projects here (solos, books, short works/poetry collections, drama -- in any language.) Please read the stickies first
plbeard

Post by plbeard » October 20th, 2018, 10:19 am

~Reason in Religion (Volume Three of "The Life of Reason") by George Santayana (1863 - 1952).

An historical and philosophical review of how religion may serve rational goals, as well as a survey of its corruptions. ( Phillip Beard)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/15000
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
    [*] Project Code: 98jlx4DB

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (George Santayana) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Santayana

[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 15
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    [*]Original publication date (if known):
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Phillip Beard Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================ [/size]

Genres for the project:

Keywords that describe the book: philosophy; history of religion

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of Reason in Religion (Volume Three of "The Life of Reason"). This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "Reason in Religion (Volume Three of "The Life of Reason"), by George Santayana. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of Reason in Religion by George Santayana. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Reason in Religion (Volume Three of "The Life of Reason"), by George Santayana. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename reasoninreligion_##_santayana_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. reasoninreligion_01_santayana_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Annise
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Last edited by plbeard on October 23rd, 2018, 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » October 21st, 2018, 1:11 pm

Hello there! Welcome to LibriVox!

We like enthusiasm here, but since this is your very first post, we would like to ask a couple of things from you. First, we very strongly suggest that you do your one minute test right away. This is our way of making sure that your settings are where we need them to be, not an audition. Here are the instructions telling you how to do your test, and where to post it. Newbie Guide to Recording

The second thing that we ask is that you record at least one section for a group project. This is to give you a taste of what it is like to record as audiobook. Most people don't realize how much work may be involved in the process, and this will give you a sense of what you are planning to undertake. This can be any group project, a chapter in a book, a poem or two, whatever sounds good to you. Once you do that, then we can start talking about turning you loose on a solo project.

The last thing I need to address is the source for the text you would like to read. You have posted the link to the gutenberg site itself, not to the text. And, I am not finding this particular text, or the author, on that site. Could you post the source you are planning to read from in this thread? In a new post is fine, we just need to know that it is online and in the public domain.
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

plbeard

Post by plbeard » October 21st, 2018, 2:04 pm

The text Reason in Religion, is Volume 3 of Santayana's The Life of Reason.
Reason in Religion was a free-standing volume, originally.

Here is the link to the text; the instructions implied one should to post the main
web address only, not the link to the text; anyway:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/15000

Could you private message me and/or authorize me to do communicate that way ?
I'd like to share some details of my professional background.

Thanks,
Phillip

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » October 21st, 2018, 2:36 pm

Icequeen is not online at the moment
The text instructions could be interpreted that way - what is meant is to use the link to the main page for a particular book, which will remain constant rather than to the various formats available.
The 1 minute test isn't an audition, it's a "sound check". We need a definite format to send to Archive so that we get the right files produced, and like live performances, it's better done before the audience arrives :D. So please do that - it may differ from what you have been in the habit of using.

Anne

plbeard

Post by plbeard » October 21st, 2018, 2:56 pm

Will do the audio test "tape," certainly;

(still want to explain my background--
if someone can open up my messaging ability,
I would be grateful).

Thanks,
Phillip

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » October 21st, 2018, 3:16 pm

I can't do it instantly. It will happen soon automatically.

Anne

silverquill

Post by silverquill » October 21st, 2018, 7:25 pm

I would be interested in being DPL for this project.
Recently was BC for a volume of Santayana's poems.
I just need to check this more in depth, but please keep me in mind, unless you already have someone lined up.

plbeard

Post by plbeard » October 22nd, 2018, 5:06 am

silverquill wrote:
October 21st, 2018, 7:25 pm
I would be interested in being DPL for this project.
Recently was BC for a volume of Santayana's poems.
I just need to check this more in depth, but please keep me in mind, unless you already have someone lined up.
What does "BC" stand for in this context? (I've seen it about, can't intuit its meaning--)
Given your experience w/ GS's poems,
I would be glad for to be the dedicated proof listener for this Reason in Religion project.
Thanks!

kayray
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kayray » October 22nd, 2018, 8:28 am

Hi plbeard,

BC stands for Book Coordinator. A BC (usually) starts a project and is responsible for maintaining the "Magic Window" (the box in the first post that shows chapter assignments, proof-listening status, notes, etc. There will be a Magic Window in your first post here when you're ready to start and your MC enters the project into the database). She also chases down readers who don't submit a recording by the deadline, reminds people to do their edits, answers questions, etc. A BC does all the busywork until the book is ready to be uploaded to archive.org -- at which point the MC (meta-coordinator) takes over for all the back-end, behind-the-scenes work.

A soloist is (usually) his own BC -- we'll explain just what you need to do when you're ready to start this book.

This might interest you: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Tips_for_Book_Coordinators

Oh, and I found a glossary! https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Glossary

You could post your professional background here, or in a new post in the "introduce yourself" forum :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » October 22nd, 2018, 8:01 pm

I've set up your MW (magic window , actually database window :D

Now that you are a soloist, you will be your own BC (book coordinator). That means that you will enter the links to your recordings into the Magic Window (MW) (the scrolling window in the first post). Here is a document that explains how to get into the MW the first time:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxWB83bbALTQYjlENGZ0SVJUWWs

And here is another document that explains how to keep the MW up to date etc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ

You may need to split the chapters - we like to keep the files so they fit on a CD . I've entred 1 title , just to give you an idea , Put in a couple and I'll tell you if they will work before you fill them all in

Anne

plbeard

Post by plbeard » October 23rd, 2018, 12:02 pm

Anne--
Thanks for all the docus and for getting the MW started!

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » November 7th, 2018, 1:31 pm

How are you getting on with the MW? I like to stay here till you've the basics sorted out before moving to Going Solo.

Anne

plbeard

Post by plbeard » November 11th, 2018, 10:25 am

I am going to finish my two chapters of Twain's Tom Sawyer before moving on
to Santayana. However, I note, too: when I go to
the Librivox Management Tool and try to login as a "BC," I am told I
"don't have permissions for this area"--

isn't that how I manage the MW-- the place I manage my solo project and post recorded files?

Thanks for the clarification (and the authorization if you can/ should grant it),

Phillip

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » November 13th, 2018, 12:39 pm

plbeard wrote:
November 11th, 2018, 10:25 am
when I go to
the Librivox Management Tool and try to login as a "BC," I am told I
"don't have permissions for this area"--

isn't that how I manage the MW-- the place I manage my solo project and post recorded files?
Hi plbeard,
I click on the tiny link under the MW (BC Admin) and it just requires me to log in with my username and password. Unless you go to the LibriVox Management Tool homepage, it may or may not let you in. Try clicking on the BC Admin link and seeing what happens.

(Hopefully this helps...this may only work if you were originally going straight to the LV Management Tool homepage and not already clicking the BC Admin link.)

Best,
JayKitty