[COMPLETE] The Enemies of Books by William Blades - annise

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

The Enemies of Books by William Blades (1824 - 1890).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/enemies-of-books-by-william-blades/

The author, an avid book collector, calls for the better protection of books against the "enemies" which lead to their physical destruction. In a series of brief chapters, he details the losses caused by raging fire, floods of water, noxious gases, sheer neglect, ignorant bigotry, invasions of bookworms and other vermin, inept bookbinders, clueless book collectors, clumsy servants, and mishandling by children. ( )
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1302
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
    [*] Project Code: tqV4MrZY

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (William Blades) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Blades

[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Enemies_of_Books
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 10
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    [*]Original publication date (if known): 1880
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================ [/size]

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Writing & Linguistics

Keywords that describe the book: books, libraries, book collectiong, biblioclasm, book destruction, book preservation

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of The Enemies of Books. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "The Enemies of Books, by William Blades. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of The Enemies of Books by William Blades. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of The Enemies of Books, by William Blades. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename enemiesofbooks_##_blades_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. enemiesofbooks_01_blades_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Annise
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Last edited by commonsparrow3 on December 31st, 2018, 11:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll set this up - back soon

Anne

All done. Sounds an interesting book :D
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Thanks, Anne! This is going to be a short fun little project, only a bit over 20,000 words total!
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

And here's the first section - Chapter 1 - Fire - (length 17:56)
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/enemiesofbooks_01_blades_128kb.mp3

Have you heard back from our potential DPL yet? I know you said you were only putting yourself in as DPL temporarily until the other one replied. If your newbie candidate has declined, and you would rather not do it yourself, I can put a ~ in the header to recruit someone. I'm not in a great rush for someone to PL, since it'll be about 5 - 7 days between chapters anyway.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

No I haven't heard, so I'll put the tilde and stay here a day or so to see who drops in

Anne
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Thanks, Anne!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Ummm... I've just read your conversation about a DPL - if you have anyone in mind already?

If not, I'd love to PL this one. :D
May take a while though; I cannot start before mid/end next week in any case.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Ava, you'd be most welcome as DPL! Thank you!
There's no great rush to PL sections right away. If you take a week or so to get around to listening, that's just fine. I'm going to be working at a leisurely pace, anyway, so I might not get back here to look for PL notes until I'm ready to post the next section. I don't mind if two or three sections are waiting to be PL'd, as long as the backlog doesn't accumulate too much. Take your time! :)
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thank you so much - you've kept me company while I was organising my own books.

section 1 PL OK! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Thanks, Ava! Here's a quick little 10-minute Chapter 2!
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/enemiesofbooks_02_blades_128kb.mp3

(Chapter 3 is even shorter, so I'll probably get to that one tomorrow.)
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

And here's the tiny little Chapter 3 - (not even 8 minutes!)
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/enemiesofbooks_03_blades_128kb.mp3

If all the chapters continue as short as these, I'll finish this project sooner than I expected!
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I see you keep uploading - excellent!
I need to do some wrapping this weekend (presents and other stuff), so these will keep me company! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

chapters 2 and 3 are PL OK!

Now I'm really curious what he has to say about "bookbinders". Interesting their chapter is right after "other vermin". :lol:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Availle wrote: November 11th, 2018, 7:10 am chapters 2 and 3 are PL OK!

Now I'm really curious what he has to say about "bookbinders". Interesting their chapter is right after "other vermin". :lol:
Thank you, Ava! I hope you got all your presents wrapped!
Yes, he does seem to have already had a few cranky opinions about bookbinders, and he is saving the rest for the chapter ahead!
My sister happens to be a professional bookbinder. She has explained a lot to me about the days when new books were frequently sold unbound, and the purchaser had to pay to have them bound. I suppose a good or bad bookbinder could make or break your library!