COMPLETE: Herbals, Their Origin and Evolution: A Chapter in the History of Botany by Agnes Arber - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
linny

Post by linny »

Herbals, Their Origin and Evolution: A Chapter in the History of Botany by Agnes Arber (1879 - 1960).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/herbals-their-origin-and-evolution-by-agnes-arber/

Volunteers outside the USA: Agnes Arber died in 1960. Her work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years or Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1954).
Eminent British botanist Agnes Arber provides an authoritative history of printed Herbals -- books widely used in early modern Europe to catalogue the uses of different kinds of plants. While Herbals often reflected pre-scientific and magical beliefs about the properties of plants, Arber's work reveals that they were also critical to the early development of botany and medicine as empirical sciences. A classic in the history of science. (Josh Leach)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/46889
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: Standard - Linny will be DPL

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History /Early Modern; *Non-fiction/Science/Life Sciences

Keywords that describe the book: magic, botany, History of Medicine, History of Science, herbals, early modern europe

============================================
    6. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
      Less than 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      START of recording (Intro):
      • "Section [number] of Herbals, Their Origin and Evolution: A Chapter in the History of Botany. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Herbals, Their Origin and Evolution: A Chapter in the History of Botany, by Agnes Arber. [Section title]"

Please DO NOT read text figures or plates. Reading the references to the figures / plates is up to each reader.

END of recording:
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter # (and if applicable part #)]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Herbals, Their Origin and Evolution: A Chapter in the History of Botany, by Agnes Arber. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
    7. Example filename herbals_##_arber_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. herbals_01_arber_128kb.mp3)
    8. Example ID3 V2 tags ID3 tags are now optional. They are added automatically during cataloging.
      Artist: Agnes Arber
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: Herbals, Their Origin and Evolution: A Chapter in the History of Botany

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
      Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
        https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by linny on September 13th, 2019, 9:55 am, edited 8 times in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Please, PLEASE, before embarking on a solo, do two things:

(1) We do STRONGLY encourage a one-minute test (LINK) to check your technical settings. It's not an audition, but to make sure you're exporting at the correct bit rate, have your recording in mono, etc. It would be a shame to record a whole section, only to have to scrap it and redo it because of some simple setting that is incorrect.

(2) Claim, record, and get OK'd at least one section in a group project. This is to make sure you know what you're getting into. Recording a whole book isn't as easy as it seems. It isn't simply sitting down and recording. There's editing to do - and that often can take up to 5 times as long as recording does. In my experience, a ballpark estimate of 95% of brand new readers who start with a solo end up quitting before finishing. Please test the waters first before jumping in. :) Not only that, you're basically alone in a solo: you are the coordinator, and unless you have a very friendly DPL, you won't get much encouragement while doing your solo.

We can leave this in the Launch Pad for now. Please post back when you've got an OK on your test, and if/when you've finished a section in a group project. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

This looks like a really interesting choice. I see you have done the 1-minute test and are wading into Readers Wanted as Tricia suggested. :) When you are ready to come back to this, I'd be happy to MC and set up this solo for you.
Jo
20thCenturyVole

Post by 20thCenturyVole »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: July 7th, 2018, 5:43 pm This looks like a really interesting choice. I see you have done the 1-minute test and are wading into Readers Wanted as Tricia suggested. :) When you are ready to come back to this, I'd be happy to MC and set up this solo for you.
Thank so much Jo, that would be wonderful! I'll continue supporting the collaborative projects I'm on, but would love to get started on this recording as well in the meantime, whenever you have a chance to set it up.
greatly appreciated!
Josh
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Josh,

This project is now set up in the database. Since this will be your first project as soloist/book coordinator(BC), you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the "Magic Window" in the top post. Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler.

First Time Logging in to the Workflow

Instructions for BCs and DPLs

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.

BCs - How to Update the Magic Window

Please also note I have shortened the suggested filename significantly. :)

If you have any questions, let me know. I'll leave this thread here in the Launch Pad for a day or so longer before I move it to the Going Solo forum, to see if a DPL (Dedicated Prooflistener) volunteers. Looking forward to working with you.
Jo
20thCenturyVole

Thank you so much Jo - this is greatly appreciated! I logged into the workflow and will start adding the recordings as I go. Preface was just uploaded as a start.

Since I'm still learning the ropes around here, any advice & corrections as to procedure, etc. along the way are much appreciated! :help:

Looking forward to working together as well :D

Josh
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

It's helpful if you include the duration of each recording in the notes field so any prospective prooflisteners can see how long each section is before they listen.
Jo
20thCenturyVole

Ah, thanks - will do!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi Josh,

Still planning to finish this project? It will soon be 6 months since your last post to the thread. Please post with an update or this project will be considered abandoned. The project thread will be removed from the forums and the project will be added to the abandoned solos list and made available for other readers to complete as per our policy for abandoned projects which I have copied below.
IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
Jo
kawatara

Post by kawatara »

PL Notes for Preface
Begin with Preface of Herbals..... (do not include years)
Put recorded by... before you say the title again
After saying the title again at the end of the intro say "Preface

End recording with "End of Preface"
Ethan
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hey Josh,

Could I be DPL?

Thanks!
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi kawatara and Sara. Thanks for your interest in PLing for this project. Josh hasn't been around the forum since last July so it's not looking like he plans to continue with this project. I will likely be posting this as an abandoned solo when I get a chance.
Jo
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: April 20th, 2019, 9:28 pm Hi kawatara and Sara. Thanks for your interest in PLing for this project. Josh hasn't been around the forum since last July so it's not looking like he plans to continue with this project. I will likely be posting this as an abandoned solo when I get a chance.
You're welcome. Got it. I'd be happy to be the DPL when someone else picks the book again.
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Moved to Abandoned Projects
Jo
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moved to Book Suggestions for Linny to look at
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew