[GRP/SCI-FI] The Blue Star by Fletcher Pratt - dlo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
DivMS

Post by DivMS »

The Blue Star by Fletcher Pratt (1897 - 1956).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-blue-star-by-fletcher-pratt/

NOTE: This project is NOT in the Public Domain for Life+70 years copyright term countries as the author died in 1956.
The novel is set in a parallel world in which the existence of psychic powers has permitted the development of witchcraft into a science; in contrast, the physical sciences have languished, resulting in a modern culture reminiscent of our eighteenth century.

The protagonists are Lalette Asterhax, a hereditary witch, and Rodvard Bergelin, an ordinary government clerk who has been recruited into the radical conspiracy of the Sons of the New Day. Rodvard, though attracted to the daughter of a baron, is commanded by his superiors to seduce Lalette instead to gain the use of her blue star in the furtherance of their revolutionary aims. The witch is no more truly enamored of him than he is of her, but both fall in with the scheme for their own reasons, unaware of how much they are simply pawns in the larger scheme of things. (Wikipedia)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/56889
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: romance, science fiction, fantasy, witchcraft, psychic

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of The Blue Star. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The Blue Star, by Fletcher Pratt. [Chapter title]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Blue Star, by Fletcher Pratt. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      bluestar_##_pratt_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. bluestar_01_pratt_128kb.mp3)

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: dlolso21
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by DivMS on September 3rd, 2018, 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Divya
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Divya,

I can MC this for you.

MW is set up and tested.

David O
DivMS

Post by DivMS »

Thank you David! :D
Divya
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Can I claim section 00?
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
DivMS

Post by DivMS »

ChuckW wrote: July 4th, 2018, 7:23 pm Can I claim section 00?
Thank you Chuck! MW updated :D
Divya
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Moving this to "Readers Wanted: Books".
DivMS

Post by DivMS »

dlolso21 wrote: July 10th, 2018, 3:04 pm Moving this to "Readers Wanted: Books".
Thanks David!

Just finished reading this book. The world Pratt builds in very complex considering the length of the book; overall an interesting read. Moving on to other books in the Ballantine Fantasy Series :D
Divya
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Hello!
I read this book a few months ago; it's a new favorite!
If I may, I'd like five sections:

PRELUDE to the SERVANTS BALL

FAREWELL and GREETING

MIDWINTER: THE RETURN

WINTER LIGHT

EMBERS REVIVED

If you feel that's too many, please let me know and I will select three from among them. *Smile*
With Thanks,
~Angelique
DivMS

Post by DivMS »

BurgundyGrace wrote: August 13th, 2018, 12:39 pm Hello!
I read this book a few months ago; it's a new favorite!
If I may, I'd like five sections:

PRELUDE to the SERVANTS BALL

FAREWELL and GREETING

MIDWINTER: THE RETURN

WINTER LIGHT

EMBERS REVIVED

If you feel that's too many, please let me know and I will select three from among them. *Smile*
With Thanks,
Thanks Angelique! They are all yours :D
Divya
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Wonderful, Divya!
I will get started close to immediately.
I'm excited to record here; the more I read it, the more I'm convinced that it is the basis for many Witch Community stories, cartoons, TV shows, and much more!

Please let me know if you have questions. :)
~Angelique
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Hello!
I've tried to send a PM, but it doesn't seem to be sending well for some unknown reason.

Welll, here's my question.
Is this work in the public domain for recording?
As writing my reader's notes and crafting pronuncations of these made up place names for consistent usage throughout, I suddenly remembered that I had thought of suggesting this great work for reading, but on looking up the publication date, I can find nothing before 1952 (with NYT critiques in 1953.)

(How Gutenberg got it on their site, I've no idea, but ... I'm *GLAD* they did; I enjoy this book very much.)

Still ... I do not want to record five chapters only to then find that we have to wait ... 30 years to use them. *Laugh*

So ... would someone please confirm that we may record this for Public Domain consumption?

Thank you! :D
~Angelique
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

BurgundyGrace wrote: August 19th, 2018, 1:06 pm Hello!
I've tried to send a PM, but it doesn't seem to be sending well for some unknown reason.

Welll, here's my question.
Is this work in the public domain for recording?
As writing my reader's notes and crafting pronuncations of these made up place names for consistent usage throughout, I suddenly remembered that I had thought of suggesting this great work for reading, but on looking up the publication date, I can find nothing before 1952 (with NYT critiques in 1953.)

(How Gutenberg got it on their site, I've no idea, but ... I'm *GLAD* they did; I enjoy this book very much.)

Still ... I do not want to record five chapters only to then find that we have to wait ... 30 years to use them. *Laugh*

So ... would someone please confirm that we may record this for Public Domain consumption?

Thank you! :D
Angelique,

I am not sure why the PM system is not working for you at the moment.

In regards to Public Domain, Project Gutenberg (PG) has a legal team and process to verify the Public Domain status of their projects. Everything published before 1923 is in the Public Domain; after that is get complicated. When you go to the PG ebook page ( https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/56889 ) and click on the Bibrec tab you can see that they have determined this is in the Public Domain.

David O
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Thanks, David. :)
I just wanted confirmation, which I am happy to receive.

Regards!
~Angelique
DivMS

Post by DivMS »

dlolso21 wrote: August 19th, 2018, 1:46 pm In regards to Public Domain, Project Gutenberg (PG) has a legal team and process to verify the Public Domain status of their projects. Everything published before 1923 is in the Public Domain; after that is get complicated. When you go to the PG ebook page ( https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/56889 ) and click on the Bibrec tab you can see that they have determined this is in the Public Domain.

David O
I just realized that this project may not be open to "Life+70 years" copyright rule countries as Fletcher Pratt died in 1956. Will put a warning under the title.
Divya
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Here is the first of these wonderful chapters.

https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/bluestar_21_pratt_128kb.mp3 22:59

Constructive Criticism is always welcome, and as always, many thanks for the PL and other supports!

Best,
~Angelique