COMPLETE Thirukkural translated by G.U. Pope -mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jothi20

Post by jothi20 »

Thirukkural by Thiruvalluvar ( - ). Translated by George Uglow Pope (1820 - 1908)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-sacred-kurral-of-tiruvalluva-nayanar-by-thiruvalluvar/

Tirukkural (sacred couplet) is believed to be written more than 2000 years ago by sage Thiruvalluvar.

This is a metric translation by Rev. G.U.Pope, who says, "In regard to the translation, I may venture to say that it is faithful, and that I have not read into the rendering a single idea or thought which there were not good grounds for supposing that the poet intended to convey. I thought it best to try to give a metrical translation. The Tamil scholar will see that I have tried to reproduce even the rhythm in many cases, but I could not retain the inimitable grace, condensation, and point of the original."

The Kural has influenced several luminaries including Leo Tolstoy, Mahatma Gandhi, and Albert Schweitzer.

The Kural is hailed for its lofty wisdom. It is said that the Kural contains all things and there is nothing that it does not contain.

This is apparent from the following list of chapter headings of this work (The chapter numbers are prefixed.)

VIRTUE

1-The praise of god, 2-The excellence of rain, 3-The greatness of ascetics, 4-Assertion of the strength of virtue, 5-Domestic life, 6-The goodness of the help to domestic life, 7-The obtaining of sons, 8-The possession of love, 9-Cherishing guests, 10-The utterance of pleasant words, 11-The knowledge of benefits conferred-gratitude, 12-Impartiality, 13-The possession of self-restraint, 14-The possession of decorum, 15-Not coveting another's wife, 16-The possession of patience - forbearance, 17-Not envying, 18-Not coveting, 19-Not backbiting, 20-The not speaking profitless words, 21-Dread of evil deeds, 22-The knowledge of what is befitting a man's position, 23-Giving, 24-Renown, 25-The possession of benevolence, 26- The renunciation of flesh, 27-Penance, 28-Inconsistent conduct, 29-The absence of fraud,30-Veracity, 31-The not being angry, 32-Not doing evil, 33-Not killing, 34-Instability, 35-Renunciation, 36-Knowledge of the true, 37-The extirpation of desire, 38-Fate,

WEALTH

39-The greatness of a king, 40-Learning, 41-Ignorance, 42-Hearing, 43-The possession of knowledge, 44-The correction of faults, 45-Seeking the aid of great men, 46-Avoiding mean associations, 47-Acting after due consideration, 48-The knowledge of power, 49-Knowing the fitting time, 50-Knowing the place, 51-Selection and confidence, 52-Selection and employment, 53-Cherishing one's kindred, 54-Unforgetfulness, 55-The right sceptre, 56-The cruel sceptre, 57-Absence of terrorism, 58-Benignity, 59-Detectives, 60-Energy, 61-Unsluggishness, 62-Manly effort, 63-hopefulness in trouble, 64-the office of minister of state, 65-power in speech, 66-purity in action, 67-Power in action, 68-The method of acting, 69-The envoy, 70-Conduct in the presence of the king, 71-The knowledge of indications, 72-The knowledge of the council chamber, 73-Not to dread the council, 74-The land, 75-The fortification, 76-Way of accumulating wealth, 77-The excellence of an army, 78-Military spirit, 79-Friendship, 80-Investigation in forming friendships, 81-Familiarity, 82-Evil friendship, 83-Unreal friendship, 84-Folly, 85-Ignorance, 86-Hostility, 87-The might of hatred, 88-Knowing the quality of hate, 89-Enmity within, 90-Not offending the great, 91-Being led by women, 92-Wanton women, 93-Not drinking palm-wine, 94-Gaming, 95-Medicine, 96-Nobility, 97-Honour, 98-Greatness, 99-Perfectness, 100-Courtesy, 102-Shame, 103-The way of maintaining the family, 104-Agriculture, 105-Poverty, 106-Mendicancy, 107-The dread of mendicancy, 108-Baseness,

LOVE

109-Mental disturbance caused by the beauty of the princess, 110-Recognition of the signs (of mutual love), 111-Rejoicing in the embrace, 112-The praise of her beauty, 113-Declaration of love's special excellence, 114-The abandonment of reserve, 115-The announcement of the rumour, 116-Separation unendurable, 117-Complainings, 118-Eyes consumed with grief, 119-The pallid hue, 120-The solitary anguish, 121-Sad memories, 122-The visions of the night, 123-Lamentations at eventide, 124-Wasting away, 125-Soliloquy, 126-Reserve overcome, 127-Mutual desire, 128-The reading of the signs, 129-Desire for reunion, 130-Expostulation with oneself, 131-Pouting, 132-Feigned anger, 133-The pleasures of temporary variance.

You can pick a chapter heading of interest and listen to the audio for that chapter. For instance, if you are interested in the chapter "Feigned anger" (which is chapter 132), you can listen to the audio for chapter 132. ( Jothi)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/tiruvalluvanayan00tiruuoft
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================
    Genres for the project: Classics (Antiquity)
    Keywords that describe the book: wisdom, ancient tamil literature, thirukkural, thiruvalluvar
    ============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "The sacred Kural by Thiruvalluva Nayanar, Translated by G.U. Pope . This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org. Chapter [number] of Thirukkural"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [/i]

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The sacred Kural by Thiruvalluva Nayanar, Translated by G.U. Pope .This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The sacred Kural by Thiruvalluva Nayanar, Translated by G.U. Pope ."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename thirukkural_##_thiruvalluvar_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. thirukkural_01_thiruvalluvar_128kb.mp3)
  • Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  • Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by jothi20 on July 1st, 2018, 4:44 am, edited 5 times in total.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I'll get this set up for you Jothi.

This is a bilingual Tamil-English project. We are looking for someone to PL the English and listen to the Tamil (which is interspersed with the English) for obvious repeats or sound quality issues (no Tamil language skills required).

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, you are set up.

It's up to you, but if you want, you can drop the translator's name from the short intro (starting with section 2). Just be sure to include it on the outro for the final section.

MaryAnn
FatimaA

Post by FatimaA »

Although my recording abilities are a bit more limited while I’m in Kashmir, it wouldn’t be a problem for me to PL for this project. Looking at the length of the project, I may not be the best choice of DPL, but I'd certainly be willing to PL individual sections until a DPL is found (if needed). Please let me know if you still need a volunteer. Thanks,...
Last edited by FatimaA on June 20th, 2018, 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
jothi20

Post by jothi20 »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: June 19th, 2018, 8:28 pm OK, you are set up.

It's up to you, but if you want, you can drop the translator's name from the short intro (starting with section 2). Just be sure to include it on the outro for the final section.

MaryAnn
Thanks MaryAnn. I have uploaded Chapter -1 here:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/thirukkural_01__thiruvalluvar_128kb.mp3(5m.29s)

Book page link: https://archive.org/stream/tiruvalluvanayan00tiruuoft#page/n43/mode/2up

Regards
Jothi
Last edited by jothi20 on June 21st, 2018, 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
jothi20

Post by jothi20 »

jothi20

Post by jothi20 »

jothi20

Post by jothi20 »

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

FatimaA wrote: June 19th, 2018, 10:26 pm Although my recording abilities are a bit more limited while I’m in Kashmir, it wouldn’t be a problem for me to PL for this project. Looking at the length of the project, I may not be the best choice of DPL, but I'd certainly be willing to PL individual sections until a DPL is found (if needed). Please let me know if you still need a volunteer. Thanks,...
Fatima,
If you have time to PL a section or two, please do so. Just post any PL notes in the forum and I'll update the MW.

In the meantime, we'll continue to look for someone who has time to DPL for the entire project.

MaryAnn
jothi20

Post by jothi20 »

jothi20

Post by jothi20 »

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Jothi,

Please remember to also post the links and the duration in the MW, and change the status to 'ready for pl'.

Thanks.
MaryAnn
jothi20

Post by jothi20 »

MaryAnn,

Thanks for reminding me. I have done so now.
I would have uploaded more but for the errors I keep getting in the Uploader page after the upload starts.
I gave up uploading chapter 7 after trying and retrying many times yesterday. Will try again today.
Must be some server availability or time out problem. I keep refreshing and trying again.

Regards
Jothi
jothi20

Post by jothi20 »

jothi20

Post by jothi20 »

Last edited by jothi20 on June 21st, 2018, 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.