COMPLETE Thirukkural translated by G.U. Pope -mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jothi20

Post by jothi20 »

linny wrote: June 21st, 2018, 2:47 pm Jothi,
I may not be able to keep up with your pace but if you are willing, I can DPL for you.

I do have a question for you. Did you want English pronunciation or word changes noted? It's usually not something we do but because it's a solo and it's the Tirukkural I thought I better ask before moving forward. Sometimes with religious works the reader wants them to be PLed as word perfect. Either way is fine by me.

Section 1 is spot check PL OK
Section 2 is PL OK
Hi linny,

Thank you for your DPL offer. That would be wonderful!
No, I do not want the English pronunciation or word changes noted. I have checked almost every word with reference to some standard sources; chief among them being https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/. If there is a particular type of pronunciation, I have chosen to retain it in that way.
I have been working on this project for more than a year. At one point I reached Chapter 80 and started all over again because I was not happy with what I had done. Thereafter, I took one day to record one chapter. I have reviewed each chapter several times, till I got the inflections and the flow right and get it to relate to the Tamil meaning as well as the metric rendering of the translator. I have also extensively researched to arrive at the correct possible content and rendering for each chapter.
I already have the raw files ready for all the 133 chapters. Because of the meticulous background work that was required, I was not sure whether I will be able to reach the end of the project. That is why I had decided that I will not post the project till all the raw files are ready. What I am doing now is processing the files to meet to Librivox standards and requirements for posting.
That is why you notice the speed of posting.

It would be wonderful if you do not mind the PL requirements so accurately stated by MaryAnn as, "We are looking for someone to PL the English and listen to the Tamil (which is interspersed with the English) for obvious repeats or sound quality issues (no Tamil language skills required)." Nothing more is required. I hope you wouldn't find that challenging enough.
It will be great to get a DPL of your caliber even though the project could be less of a challenge for you.

Regards
Jothi
jothi20

Post by jothi20 »

linny

Post by linny »

Jothi,
You have done an amazing job with this project. Your efforts are certainly noticeable. It will be a pleasure to DPL for you.

Chapter 3 is PL OK

Chapter 4
4:56 – (optional) Did you also want to say End of Introduction? I only ask because you included “introduction” at the beginning of chapter 1.
Please check the MW on sections 4 and 5.
I don’t think you wanted section 4 to contain domestic life.
I think section 5 is supposed to be Domestic virtue – domestic life

Chapters 5 -9 are PL OK

That's all for tonight. I'll listen to more tomorrow. Rest well. :)
jothi20

Post by jothi20 »

jothi20

Post by jothi20 »

linny wrote: June 21st, 2018, 3:52 pm Jothi,
You have done an amazing job with this project. Your efforts are certainly noticeable. It will be a pleasure to DPL for you.

Chapter 3 is PL OK

Chapter 4
4:56 – (optional) Did you also want to say End of Introduction? I only ask because you included “introduction” at the beginning of chapter 1.
Please check the MW on sections 4 and 5.
I don’t think you wanted section 4 to contain domestic life.
I think section 5 is supposed to be Domestic virtue – domestic life

Chapters 5 -9 are PL OK

That's all for tonight. I'll listen to more tomorrow. Rest well. :)
Hi linny,
Thank you for accepting to be DPL.
Regarding your PL comments.
1. I agree there should be "End of Introduction" at the end of Chapter 4- will do that and update you.
2. Yes the appendage in the heading of section 4 has to be removed. I have done so.
3. Reg: "I think section 5 is supposed to be Domestic virtue – domestic life", Domestic virtue is a broader heading from 5 to 24. So I have read it before 5 and the end should be read at the end of 24.
Regards
You rest well too :)
jothi20

Post by jothi20 »

jothi20

Post by jothi20 »

jothi20

Post by jothi20 »

jothi20

Post by jothi20 »

jothi20

Post by jothi20 »

jothi20

Post by jothi20 »

jothi20

Post by jothi20 »

Hi linny,
I have incorporated "End of Introduction at the end of Chapter 4.
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/thirukkural_04__thiruvalluvar_128kb.mp3
Regards
Jothi
linny

Post by linny »

Good morning Jothi,
Chapter 20 didn't post. 19 is up twice instead. Also, you have begun to insert an extra _ after the chapter number. Now that I'm thinking of chapter numbers I wonder if the numbers should all be 3 digits since this project has over 99 sections.

MaryAnn, what do you think? Are we ok or should 3 digits be used?
linny

Post by linny »

Chapter 4 is spot check PL OK.
Chapters 10 – 14 are PL OK
jothi20

Post by jothi20 »

Good Morning linny,

I will post Chapter 20 again.

Regarding " Also, you have begun to insert an extra _ after the chapter number.":
When I made changes and uploaded the file with the same name as earlier, I found that the changes were not taking effect after posting. So I added an extra_ so that the server will see it as a new file. That worked. You will see this extra_ only in those files where I had re-posted after making changes.
Is this OK or should I be doing something else?

Regards
Jothi