[COMPLETE]- Trivia by John Gay - ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Hi Phil,

I realised this has been staring me in the face all along. One possible venue for Manchester writers or general inspiration that might lead to an interesting author would be the Working Class Movement Library in Salford. They have themed 'explore our collections' sections you could browse for inspiration, provided the events in question aren't late-twentieth-century - the votes for women, the Diggers or Peterloo might all serve as springboards to a forgotten Lancashire writer. Their catalogue entries could either be chased via the Internet Archive, BL or Hathitrust, or Worldcat if there isn't a scan.

The other option if you were to find something that you really couldn't get hold of would be to contact them. They say (https://www.wcml.org.uk/wcml/en/visit-the-library/visiting-the-library/) that photocopying/scanning is available. For a short book that probably wouldn't be too bad, and likely less than a copy on abebooks. A version of that is what I did last year for a project on Legamus, when I was in the area and took lots of photos of the book! It is possible to work from wonky self-made images, if you do find something that you've really set your heart on.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We've had several people read from photographed PD books and they've uploaded them to Archive. any online version is better than none after all :D

Changing the subject - your Wiki summary definition of Trivia seems less likely than it being derived from the latin trivia tri=3 and via=road, path . Probably a road fork . No suggestions at the moment as to exactly how it got to it's current meaning but it does seem more than possible. Think of sidetracked , diverted, etc.

Anne
Newgatenovelist

Phil - before I forget and have to try and post from the train, at the very end of this month and in early July I'll be away from my desk. Upload your changes here, and launch Stott (or any other pre-recorded goodies lying about!), whenever it suits you, but I might be a bit slow to respond.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

All three files corrected and ready for spot PL.

Thanks, Erin, for the careful PLing!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Hmm, I took that from Wikipedia without thinking too much, but I think you may well be right. Below is from e-notes.com. Obviously, we can't use that, so maybe I won't mention the title at all! I also don't recall the wig-thieves, but maybe I missed that....

It was an interesting poem. Comic, but also quite disturbing at times...

'The full title of this poem is Trivia: Or, The Art of Walking the Streets of London, and the word “trivia” here is easily misunderstood. In the modern sense of “insignificant details,” it would seem to indicate a poem about a congeries of minor matters. However, to readers of the eighteenth century who were steeped in the classics, it would be understood in the Latin sense of the intersection of three roads or as the plural of trivium, the three subjects of traditional education (grammar, rhetoric, and logic). It might even be seen as an allusion to the three-headed goddess Hecate, or Diana, who ruled over day, night, and the underworld and was sometimes referred to as Diana of the crossways. Accordingly, the poem is organized in three cantos, or books. Trivia offers a liberal education in urban sociology.
annise wrote: June 15th, 2018, 4:26 pm Changing the subject - your Wiki summary definition of Trivia seems less likely than it being derived from the latin trivia tri=3 and via=road, path . Probably a road fork . No suggestions at the moment as to exactly how it got to it's current meaning but it does seem more than possible. Think of sidetracked , diverted, etc.

Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks for pointing me to this. I knew about this library, but I didn't realize how much they had on the web - worth looking at!
Newgatenovelist wrote: June 15th, 2018, 6:00 am Hi Phil,

I realised this has been staring me in the face all along. One possible venue for Manchester writers or general inspiration that might lead to an interesting author would be the Working Class Movement Library in Salford. They have themed 'explore our collections' sections you could browse for inspiration, provided the events in question aren't late-twentieth-century - the votes for women, the Diggers or Peterloo might all serve as springboards to a forgotten Lancashire writer. Their catalogue entries could either be chased via the Internet Archive, BL or Hathitrust, or Worldcat if there isn't a scan.

The other option if you were to find something that you really couldn't get hold of would be to contact them. They say (https://www.wcml.org.uk/wcml/en/visit-the-library/visiting-the-library/) that photocopying/scanning is available. For a short book that probably wouldn't be too bad, and likely less than a copy on abebooks. A version of that is what I did last year for a project on Legamus, when I was in the area and took lots of photos of the book! It is possible to work from wonky self-made images, if you do find something that you've really set your heart on.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

No problem at all, I am also away in Macau and HK for the last week of June and first week of July. Songs for the Millions will be finished by then, but no hurry!
Newgatenovelist wrote: June 17th, 2018, 1:34 pm Phil - before I forget and have to try and post from the train, at the very end of this month and in early July I'll be away from my desk. Upload your changes here, and launch Stott (or any other pre-recorded goodies lying about!), whenever it suits you, but I might be a bit slow to respond.
Newgatenovelist

eggs4ears wrote: June 21st, 2018, 7:15 am All three files corrected and ready for spot PL.

Thanks, Erin, for the careful PLing!
You are most welcome, sir! Books I and III are PL OK. One note for Bk II, though it's for deleting and doesn't require a mic:
Newgatenovelist wrote: June 13th, 2018, 3:10 pm 25.56-26.01, p. 31, l. 442, extra word
And [And] Squirts read Garth, 'till Apozems grow cold.

Macau and HK, how exciting! And how good that the out of office timing is synchronised! I hope you have something good to read on the plane.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

oops! missed that one. Book 2 now fully corrected. I have also edited the intro, so we should be ready for cataloguing.
Newgatenovelist

Book II is PL OK. I'm not really sure what's going on, but I can't flick it over to PL OK in the MW. But yes, it's good to go!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I beat the gun a bit as I wanted to catalogue it tonight , and so took the risk that if it wasn't OK I'd have to redo some of it. Once I switch to validating you aren't able to edt the MW - it's something I tend to forget
If I didn't do it tonight I'd run into me not being able to probably till Monday.

Anne
Newgatenovelist

Ahhh, that explains it. I'm very glad it wasn't something I was doing wrong!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project: https://librivox.org/trivia-by-john-gay/

Thank you both , I'm downloading it to listen to now :D :clap: :D :clap: :D

Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Excellent! Thanks, Erin and Anne, and thanks again Anne for the suggestion. It was fun! :9: