[COMPLETE] Army Mental Tests - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
niobium

Post by niobium » April 3rd, 2018, 4:43 pm

Army Mental Tests by Clarence Stone Yoakum (1879 - 0) and others.

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/army-mental-tests-by-clarence-stone-yoakum/

Volunteers outside the USA: Robert Mearns Yerkes died in 1956. The author's work is still protected by copyright in places like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1955) or Canada (author's death plus 50 years), UNLESS the rule of shorter term applies. <p>
Prepared in cooperation with the staff of the surgeon generals office as a source of information and printed materials concerning psychological testing used within the United States Army and indications of the possible use of similar methods in education and industry. ( Leon Harvey)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/armymentaltests05yerkgoog
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin ===========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/War & Military

Keywords that describe the book: psychology, World War 1, united states army, research, aptitude testing, intelligence testing

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Army Mental Tests. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Army Mental Tests, by Clarence Stone Yoakum and Robert Mearns Yerkes. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Army Mental Tests by Clarence Stone Yoakum and Robert Mearns Yerkes. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Army Mental Tests, by Clarence Stone Yoakum and Robert Mearns Yerkes. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename armymentaltests_##_yoakum_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. armymentaltests_01_yoakum_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: craigdav1
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below

craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 » April 4th, 2018, 1:19 pm

Will set up the MW shortly.

Edit: I've added myself as DPL. If you have someone else in mind please let me know. Also, the number of sections seems small (more can be easily added). Are you planning to record the entire book? Finally, the author link to Yoakum must (I believe) be to Wikipedia. I could not find one so I left it blank though in the future it can be added. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist you. An interesting topic though I wonder how you will decide to handle the figures in the text.

niobium

Post by niobium » April 5th, 2018, 4:43 pm

There are some big chapters. For some reason the book is divided with larger topic chapter and smaller sub chapters, but I will make a decision during editing to split them or not. The lists and figures are difficult to describe in some cases, but the reader should refer to the original text if they are not totally satisfied with the written text since it is unlikely that I can enumerate a jigsaw puzzle for example. There is also a red text message just above the magic window about Yerkes dying in 1956 where the rule of authors death plus 70 years applies. should I worry?

craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 » April 5th, 2018, 5:35 pm

Referring the reader to figures in the text is a common strategy when they can't be read. I assumed the "red" message was included so as to warn any potential MC and DPL that they must be US based.

craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 » April 5th, 2018, 5:49 pm

Moving topic to Going Solo forum to keep the Launch Pad tidy.

niobium

Post by niobium » April 25th, 2018, 6:55 pm

Note that chapter 6 'record blanks and forms' will be excluded from the recording and it will be up to the reader to refer to the archive copy to view the material

craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 » April 25th, 2018, 7:14 pm

You might include a comment in the book summary alerting the listener to the contents of chapter 6.

niobium

Post by niobium » April 30th, 2018, 6:38 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/armymentaltests_00_yerkes_128kb.mp3 13min
https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/armymentaltests_01_yerkes_128kb.mp3 19min
https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/armymentaltests_02_yerkes_128kb.mp3 45min

by the way, there are two authors. Ive listed the one whose names is alphabetically first in line, but is there a different naming convention to use? Ive also noticed that the book may be listed under Yoakum in the library catalog by author

craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 » April 30th, 2018, 7:19 pm

Both Yoakum and Yerkes are currently listed on the project screen. Once the book is cataloged both names will appear as authors of the book. Searches by either name should find the book in the catalog.

craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 » April 30th, 2018, 7:56 pm

0-1 PL OK.

The silence at file end only needs to be 5s long.

craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 » May 1st, 2018, 5:08 am

2 PL OK.

niobium

Post by niobium » May 2nd, 2018, 12:26 am

just out of interest, do you follow the text word for word? There are actually a couple of grammar errors or unusual sentences in this book and I may have subconsciously just said what felt right.

craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 » May 2nd, 2018, 4:25 am

As the proofing is standard, no, I don't follow the text. I would only go to the text if something didn't sound right. Word Perfect proofing is usually reserved for religious and some scientific texts. Editing creates more serious text errors than reading in my experience.

niobium

Post by niobium » June 2nd, 2018, 7:46 pm

the chapter im working on is gigantic, taking about 2 hours to read continuously. After trimming off a few pauses and stutters, I think I could fit them into 2 sections. Im going to try to get this part done within this month, with the last chapter following soon after. A considerable bulk of this book is appendix information containing the hard copy of the battery test and just looks like a hell of a lot of effort to enunciate especially if they contain visual puzzles such as paper labyrinths and puzzles.

craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 » June 3rd, 2018, 5:42 am

Thanks for the update. One hour long sections is fine.