[COMPLETE] The Vikings by Allen Mawer - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
KevinJohnson

Post by KevinJohnson » February 27th, 2018, 9:07 pm

The Vikings by Allen Mawer (1879 - 1942).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-vikings-by-allen-mawer/
This is a concise history of the Vikings by Allen Mawer, MA, Professor of English Language and Literature in Armstrong College, University of Durham: late Fellow of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge. It includes the following chapters: I.Causes of the Viking movement; II.The Viking movement down to the middle of the 9th century; III.The Vikings in England to the death of Harthacnut ; IV.The Vikings in the Frankish Empire to the
founding of Normandy (911);V. The Vikings in Ireland to the battle of Clontarf (1014); VI.The Vikings in the Orkneys, Scotland, the Western Islands and Man; VII.The Vikings in Baltic lands and Russia; VIII.Viking civilisation; IX. Scandinavian influence in the Orkneys, Shetlands, the Western Islands and Man; X. Scandinavian influence in Ireland ; XI. Scandinavian influence in England; and XII. Scandinavian influence in the Empire and Iceland. ( Kevin Johnson)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/53106
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin ===========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History /Middle Ages/Middle History

Keywords that describe the book: harthacnut; vikings; normandy; england; ireland; orkney islands; isle of man; scotand; iceland, russia; rus; scandinavian civilisation;

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Vikings. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Vikings, by Allen Mawer. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Vikings by Allen Mawer. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Vikings, by Allen Mawer. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename vikings_##_mawer_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. vikings_01_mawer_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: craigdav1
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
:help:

craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 » February 27th, 2018, 9:18 pm

Back with a MW shortly.

Edit: Sounds like an interesting book. Let me know if anything in the MW needs fixing or if you encounter any problems. Also, do you have someone in mind as DPL?

KevinJohnson

Post by KevinJohnson » February 28th, 2018, 7:52 pm

I have posted the introduction. I look forward to the response.
This is it:

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/vikiings_introduction_mawer.mp3

craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 » February 28th, 2018, 8:50 pm

File sounds fine but the file name should have the section number not the word "introduction" in it (i.e. vikings_01_mawer_128kb.mp3). The section number is needed so that when the book is compiled the files will be in their correct order. Re-upload this file but with the correct file name. Also don't forget to copy and paste the file link into the MW.

Before uploading any more files you should fill in the MW so that the person who is proof listening your files can check what they hear you say in the intro and outro to what is in the MW. In the outro you typically just give the chapter number. Both your intro and outro in this file are perfect. It is just the file name that needs to have the correct section number. By the way do you have anyone in mind to PL the book? If not we can advertise for one.

DrPGould

Post by DrPGould » February 28th, 2018, 8:50 pm

Kevin:

Should you need a DPL, I am available.

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.

craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 » February 28th, 2018, 8:55 pm

Philip,
I'm going to add you as dpl assuming Kevin will approve.
Dave

KevinJohnson

Post by KevinJohnson » February 28th, 2018, 9:39 pm

I hope that you can help me find a DPL. No, I do not have anyone in mind. Philip is great, thanks for the prompt help. Sincerely, Kevin

KevinJohnson

Post by KevinJohnson » February 28th, 2018, 9:48 pm

craigdav1 wrote:
February 28th, 2018, 8:50 pm
File sounds fine but the file name should have the section number not the word "introduction" in it (i.e. vikings_01_mawer_128kb.mp3). The section number is needed so that when the book is compiled the files will be in their correct order. Re-upload this file but with the correct file name. Also don't forget to copy and paste the file link into the MW.

Before uploading any more files you should fill in the MW so that the person who is proof listening your files can check what they hear you say in the intro and outro to what is in the MW. In the outro you typically just give the chapter number. Both your intro and outro in this file are perfect. It is just the file name that needs to have the correct section number. By the way do you have anyone in mind to PL the book? If not we can advertise for one.
I uploaded it again as you suggested - https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/vikiings_01_mawer.mp3
It will not allow me to add to the Magic Window, so hope you can help me.

DrPGould

Post by DrPGould » February 28th, 2018, 10:24 pm

Dave & Kevin:

Thanks. Dave, it's always great to work with you and I look forward to working with you, Kevin. This should be a fun project.

Philip

KevinJohnson

Post by KevinJohnson » February 28th, 2018, 11:02 pm

craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 » March 1st, 2018, 5:50 am

Kevin,
Follow the instructions at the following link. You may need to reset your password.

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/BC's:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

KevinJohnson

Post by KevinJohnson » March 1st, 2018, 6:46 pm

I tried to follow this link. I got as far as the system telling me that it would send me a new password, but nothing was ever received in my email - I checked the spam and trash folders too. :help:

craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 » March 1st, 2018, 7:28 pm

I just sent you a PM containing your email address of record. I can change it if it is incorrect. Just respond to my PM with the corrected address.

KevinJohnson

Post by KevinJohnson » March 1st, 2018, 11:12 pm

Chapter 2 is here. It worked for me, and I updated the Magic Window, but then out of it again. I will try soon.

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/vikings_03_mawer.mp3

DrPGould

Post by DrPGould » March 2nd, 2018, 10:36 am

Section 1 is PL OK! Nicely read, Kevin!

Dave:

I need your advice.....when I logged this morning and went to the Gutenberg site to get the text to begin PL-ing...I was told that because of "bulk downloading" I was blocked from Gutenberg (been using it for years without difficulty and don't know how to bulk download). They have said they're having technical problems and it should be a "short time" before the problem is remedied.

I did find an alternate copy of the text on archive.org (its a scan of the book published in 1913 so there are no public domain issues I can find, and I PL'd Section 1 word-for-word and the text is exact with the one that Kevin is reading.)

Am I ok to proceed to PL sections 2 & 3 or should I wait until Gutenberg fixes its glitch?

Never had this problem before and hopefully, never again.

Many thanks for your help and patience.

Philip