COMPLETE Jurisprudence by John Salmond-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
DivMS

Post by DivMS »

Jurisprudence by John Salmond (1862 - 1924).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/jurisprudence-by-john-salmond/
"[This book] is written primarily for the use of those students of the law who are desirous of laying a scientific foundation for their legal education ; yet I hope that it will not be found destitute of interest by those lawyers whose academic studies lie behind them, but who have not wholly ceased to concern themselves with the theoretical and scientific aspects of the law. Further, a great part of what I have written is sufficiently free from the technicalities and details of the concrete legal system to serve the purposes of laymen" from the preface (John Salmond)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/jurisprudence00salm
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: Special - Standard, plus DPL to note deviations from the text that significantly change the meaning. DPL needs to follow along with the text.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of Jurisprudence. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Jurisprudence, by John Salmond. [Section title]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Jurisprudence, by John Salmond. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    jurisprudence_##_salmond_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. jurisprudence_01_salmond_128kb.mp3)
  9. Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  10. NOTE: Please do not read footnotes
  11. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by DivMS on April 10th, 2018, 6:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
Divya
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Divya - two things:

1) For a group project, you should probably have some sort of intro/summary to let potential readers know what the project is about. It doesn't have to be the final version that goes in the catalog, but you'll probably want something. :)

2) I would recommend against wordperfect PL. That's VERY strict (and IMHO, should only be used for things like scriptures, where every word needs to be exact), and requires the DPL to listen along with the text and note every deviation. Perhaps you'd want to change this to something like, "Special: Standard, plus DPL to note deviations from the text that significantly change the meaning. DPL (does/does not) need to follow along with the text." Just a suggestion. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
DivMS

Post by DivMS »

Hi Tricia! Thanks a lot for your suggestions! :D
TriciaG wrote: 1) For a group project, you should probably have some sort of intro/summary to let potential readers know what the project is about. It doesn't have to be the final version that goes in the catalog, but you'll probably want something. :)
I am really trying to find something in the public domain but have had no success so far. I was planning to use a part of the preface, but it has been written in 1st person. Will that do? I was thinking of the following:

"[This book] is written primarily for the use of those students of the law who are desirous of laying a scientific foundation for their legal education ; yet I hope that it will not be found destitute of interest by those lawyers whose academic studies lie behind them, but who have not wholly ceased to concern themselves with the theoretical and scientific aspects of the law. Further, a great part of what I have written is sufficiently free from the technicalities and details of the concrete legal system to serve the purposes of laymen" by John Salmond (Preface)

TriciaG wrote: 2) I would recommend against wordperfect PL. That's VERY strict (and IMHO, should only be used for things like scriptures, where every word needs to be exact), and requires the DPL to listen along with the text and note every deviation. Perhaps you'd want to change this to something like, "Special: Standard, plus DPL to note deviations from the text that significantly change the meaning. DPL (does/does not) need to follow along with the text." Just a suggestion. :)
Sentences, and sometimes even paragraphs, from this book have been quoted (verbatim) in many legal texts. That is why I was thinking of "wordperfect". I am not worried about PLing because I can do it if a DPL does not take it up, though I would really appreciate one. I understand it may be difficult for the reader, hence, I have tried to keep most sections under 15 pages (pdf version). Please let me know if I can make it easier for the reader :hmm:

Also, the wikipedia link for the author is not working because I omitted the final ")" by mistake. How do I correct this?

Please let me know your opinions, and if any other changes are required :)
Divya
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Divya,

I am happy to MC this for you.

In answer to your questions, I think you can use an excerpt from the preface, even if it is in the first person. Just put it in quotes and credit it as "from the preface".

As to word perfect, even if portions have been quoted in other texts, I wouldn't think a listener would notice and think 'wow, that doesn't match what I read in this opinion over here.'. It's great that you have kept the sections to a manageable length, that will increase your reader pool as some folks don't like to do long sections. But short sections and word perfect are really not related, in my mind at least. I personally don't read for word perfect projects because it annoys me to have to go back and paste in a fix when the mistake didn't change the meaning of the text to start with. My sense is that I am not alone in avoiding word perfect projects, no matter how long or short the sections are.

Thanks for a heads up on the Wikipedia link - you can fix it on the first post, but I need to fix it behind the scenes.

I'll get your MW set up.

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, your MW is set up.

Looks like this is your first BC project. As a reminder, instructions are in the BC How-to.

MaryAnn
DivMS

Post by DivMS »

Thanks MaryAnn! :D I have changed the level of PL as Tricia suggested.
Divya
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

May I put in the first claim and do 27-29?
Thanks.
MaryAnn
DivMS

Post by DivMS »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:May I put in the first claim and do 27-29?
Thanks.
MaryAnn
That's wonderful! Updated the MW with your claims. Thanks MaryAnn :D
Divya
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

Hello, I would like to read Chapter 1.

I have questions:

Footnotes: Some of the footnotes are just citations and others contain both citations and interesting text.
Should I just read the interesting text at a convenient point and ignore the citations?

Charts: There is a tabular/hierarchical chart. Should I attempt to describe the chart -- and what of the introductory sentence to the chart if not described?
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
DivMS

Post by DivMS »

Thank you! Just updated the MW with your claim for Section 1 :)
realisticspeakers wrote:1) Footnotes: Some of the footnotes are just citations and others contain both citations and interesting text.
Should I just read the interesting text at a convenient point and ignore the citations?

2) Charts: There is a tabular/hierarchical chart. Should I attempt to describe the chart -- and what of the introductory sentence to the chart if not described?
1)To maintain uniformity among all the sections I request you to avoid reading the footnotes unless you feel it is essential for understanding the main text.

2)Please feel free to describe the chart as you feel appropriate :D
QMILES

Post by QMILES »

Could I claim Section 2?

I'm new, but I've done my 1 minute test and had it ok'd.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

May I claim 26 as well? All seem related.
MaryAnn
DivMS

Post by DivMS »

QMILES wrote:Could I claim Section 2?

I'm new, but I've done my 1 minute test and had it ok'd.
Welcome to LibriVox! :D
Since this is your first recording, please let me know what you would like to have as your catalog (display) name and link to your website (if you wish to provide one). I can then assign Section 2 to you in the Magic Window :)
Divya
DivMS

Post by DivMS »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:May I claim 26 as well? All seem related.
MaryAnn
Gladly! Section 26 is all yours.

Thanks MaryAnn :D
Divya
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

I'd like to claim section 12, please.

aniroo
aniroo :wink: