~[MUSIC]J.S. Bach, Volume 2 by A. Schweitzer d1965-mtf

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Hello here,
This looks really interesting, I'd like to help with PL, if you think I could handle this having no musical education, neither musical ear. I could try and take up DPL if it works out. Thanks!
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
retzel

Post by retzel »

mightyfelix wrote: July 22nd, 2018, 10:10 pm I really only marked them that way according to whether the notation was given on a treble or bass clef, although I realize that either can be sung by either gender. If you're confident that the piece is in your range, then I'm fine with that.

No intro will be necessary. The sung portions will be inserted into the narrated chapter, and the reader of each chapter will do the intro. As for attribution, to be honest, I hadn't thought of it. I don't think it would make sense to insert a voice credit into the recording itself, and the singers who've already participated didn't record one. I'm thinking we'll include a list in the book description, something like, "Vocal performances provided by..." and then a list of all the singers, linking to their reader pages.
Makes sense to me! In that case, I'd like to claim the duet comprised of sections 82 and 83. I'll sing through them all this weekend and claim some more sections then.

As for attribution, a list in the book description sounds like a good idea. You could also potentially have the singers record something like "Vocal excerpts recorded by ---" that you could then insert at the beginning and/or end of the relevant chapters after the reader's attribution. But that would create more work to add those in, so maybe that's not the best idea...

Also, if you need any help with PL for the music parts, I'd be happy to listen for tuning/rhythm/pronunciation issues - let me know if there's anything I can do!
Rowan
they/them/theirs
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzq74klHuclGomB1P8ZxyiA?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I actually do want the duet to be composed of two different voices. I'm happy to let you pick one of those.

There are some other singing parts in the last few chapters that I haven't entered into the MW yet. It's rather time-consuming to comb through and enter each individual snippet, so I've been putting it off. :roll: And I'm juggling a few other projects as well. But I can prioritize that, if you'd like. It might be the push I need to get it done, actually. :lol:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

karlkuzmich wrote: July 23rd, 2018, 5:15 am Hello here,
This looks really interesting, I'd like to help with PL, if you think I could handle this having no musical education, neither musical ear. I could try and take up DPL if it works out. Thanks!
I think that would be great! I should warn you that this project is rather more complicated than most, but I don't think extensive music knowledge is necessary for a DPL here. Just a bit of patience with the process. I may have one or two comments to add about what I'll need you to listen for, but it's late here, and I'm typing on my mobile. I will try to look in tomorrow.
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

mightyfelix wrote: July 24th, 2018, 10:44 pm ...this project is rather more complicated than most...
Thank you Devorah, I've been around the block, PL'd dramatic projects too. Looking forward to the challenge :-)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've added Mark in as DPL.

Is it an official DPL role such that I should remove the tilde from the thread title?
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

TriciaG wrote: July 25th, 2018, 6:03 am I've added Mark in as DPL.

Is it an official DPL role such that I should remove the tilde from the thread title?
Yes, thank you. I'm not able to edit that, and I haven't heard from Kim in awhile.
ETA: I guess I can go delete the post I made in Listeners Wanted, though, or can I not, since it's locked?
ETA again: Looks like somebody already took care of it.
retzel

Post by retzel »

mightyfelix wrote: July 24th, 2018, 10:20 pm I actually do want the duet to be composed of two different voices. I'm happy to let you pick one of those.

There are some other singing parts in the last few chapters that I haven't entered into the MW yet. It's rather time-consuming to comb through and enter each individual snippet, so I've been putting it off. :roll: And I'm juggling a few other projects as well. But I can prioritize that, if you'd like. It might be the push I need to get it done, actually. :lol:
Ok! I was thinking it would make sense to record both in one file to cut down on editing. I'll take the alto (83), then. I also have a friend who is interested in getting involved who might want to sing the soprano - in that case would you prefer I create one multitrack file for the duet to save you some work, or should we submit them as two separate files?

I was going to say take your time on entering in the singing parts for the last few chapters, but if it's a push you need by all means let me be that push! :lol:
Rowan
they/them/theirs
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

karlkuzmich wrote: July 23rd, 2018, 5:15 am Hello here,
Alright, I went and waded back through the thread to find the comments I made for our first DPL who wasn't able to continue. I hope this helps:
mightyfelix wrote: August 29th, 2017, 8:56 pm Also, specific to this project, I think it would be helpful to follow along with the text to note where music will be inserted. Section 1 doesn't have any music, but on the other sections, we need to make sure there is a sufficient pause (3-5 seconds) everywhere that music will end up going, to make it easier to insert that music. ... There are also a few places (such as page 59, 75, 158) where there are two or more bits of music separated by only one word or a few words, and I think it would be helpful ... to follow along to make sure that those words don't get missed.
mightyfelix wrote: August 30th, 2017, 9:05 pm I guess when you listen [to the musical parts], ... maybe just check to make sure that no selections are missing and, if possible, that they're all in the correct order? I don't know if you read music at all, but you may be able to at least compare the sound with the musical score and if something looks way off (like there are only three notes on the page, but the selection in the recording is very long, for instance), let me know.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

retzel wrote: July 25th, 2018, 7:19 am Ok! I was thinking it would make sense to record both in one file to cut down on editing. I'll take the alto (83), then. I also have a friend who is interested in getting involved who might want to sing the soprano - in that case would you prefer I create one multitrack file for the duet to save you some work, or should we submit them as two separate files?
Oh, two separate files, please. I appreciate your trying to save me editing, but it should be a piece of cake compared to some of the other edits I've done. And if your friend isn't already on LV, it would be best for them to register to the forum so we can credit them.
I was going to say take your time on entering in the singing parts for the last few chapters, but if it's a push you need by all means let me be that push! :lol:
Decisions, decisions. I'm editing a DR now that's nearing completion, plus I'm attempting to make some progress on my solo for once! I think I can safely commit to having all remaining music parts in the MW by the end of August.
retzel

Post by retzel »

mightyfelix wrote: July 25th, 2018, 6:56 pm
Oh, two separate files, please. I appreciate your trying to save me editing, but it should be a piece of cake compared to some of the other edits I've done. And if your friend isn't already on LV, it would be best for them to register to the forum so we can credit them.

Decisions, decisions. I'm editing a DR now that's nearing completion, plus I'm attempting to make some progress on my solo for once! I think I can safely commit to having all remaining music parts in the MW by the end of August.
Alrighty! I'm working on getting her registered, and we'll go from there. In the meantime here are a few more I'd like to claim: 39, 42, 45.

And do take your time if you need to - I'm in no hurry, and it seems like you have a lot going on!!
Rowan
they/them/theirs
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

mightyfelix wrote: July 25th, 2018, 6:51 pm Alright, I went and waded back through the thread to find the comments I made for our first DPL who wasn't able to continue. I hope this helps:
mightyfelix wrote: August 29th, 2017, 8:56 pm Also, specific to this project, I think it would be helpful to follow along with the text to note where music will be inserted. Section 1 doesn't have any music, but on the other sections, we need to make sure there is a sufficient pause (3-5 seconds) everywhere that music will end up going, to make it easier to insert that music. ... There are also a few places (such as page 59, 75, 158) where there are two or more bits of music separated by only one word or a few words, and I think it would be helpful ... to follow along to make sure that those words don't get missed.
mightyfelix wrote: August 30th, 2017, 9:05 pm I guess when you listen [to the musical parts], ... maybe just check to make sure that no selections are missing and, if possible, that they're all in the correct order? I don't know if you read music at all, but you may be able to at least compare the sound with the musical score and if something looks way off (like there are only three notes on the page, but the selection in the recording is very long, for instance), let me know.
Sounds sensible, Devorah. Maybe we should enter the pause-related guidelines into the head post, so that future readers know the expectations?
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

linny wrote: July 12th, 2018, 11:10 am Section 32 only has the one Pl note that ‘part 1’ is missing from the intro. It is included at the ending so hopefully just a copy paste should clear it up.
Here is section 32 again, with 'part 1' inserted into the intro (24:01)
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/jsbach2_32_schweitzer_128kb.mp3
Kathrine
retzel

Post by retzel »

Hi!

Here's section 83:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/jsbach2_83_schweitzer_128kb.mp3 (00:10)

I named it following the normal conventions, but let me know if you'd like me to change it since it's a music file, or upload it as a flac instead of an mp3 for higher quality. Might I suggest you clarify the instructions for the music files? Right now they're still saying to upload things in a zip file, which doesn't seem to be helpful considering the current setup in the MW...

More to come soon!
Rowan
they/them/theirs
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

retzel wrote: July 27th, 2018, 9:01 pm Hi!

Here's section 83:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/jsbach2_83_schweitzer_128kb.mp3 (00:10)

I named it following the normal conventions, but let me know if you'd like me to change it since it's a music file, or upload it as a flac instead of an mp3 for higher quality. Might I suggest you clarify the instructions for the music files? Right now they're still saying to upload things in a zip file, which doesn't seem to be helpful considering the current setup in the MW...

More to come soon!
Lovely job! The naming you used is fine. Everything will be renamed and shuffled around eventually anyway, so I'm not picky on that. Flac would work, if you'd prefer to do that, but I'm ok with mp3, too. Whatever you give me, I'll use it! :wink:

As to your point about editing the first post, I entirely agree, and I wish that I could. That post belongs to my co-BC, whom I haven't heard from in quite some time, and so it is not editable by me. :? I promise I'm not trying to point fingers, but I did ask her if she could edit that awhile back, and I never got a response. So I'm not really sure how to proceed there. Until we figure it out, we'll just muddle through.