[COMPLETE] Unto Caesar by Emma Orczy-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
AdeledePignerolles

Post by AdeledePignerolles »

Unto Caesar by Baroness Orczy (1865 - 1947).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project: https://librivox.org/unto-caesar-by-baroness-orczy/]
"The State," he said, speaking at least as haughtily as Dea Flavia herself, "hath agreed to accept the sum of twenty aurei for this slave. 'Tis too late now to make further bids for her."

But a pair of large blue eyes, cold as the waters of the Tiber and like unto them mysterious and elusive, were turned fully on the speaker.

"Too late didst thou say, oh Taurus Antinor?" said Dea Flavia raising her pencilled eyebrows with a slight expression of scorn, "nay! I had not seen the hammer descend! The girl until then is not sold, and open to the highest bidder. Or am I wrong, O praefect, in thus interpreting the laws of Rome?"

"This is an exceptional case, Augusta," he retorted curtly.

"Then wilt thou expound to me that law which deals with such exceptional cases?" she rejoined with the same ill-concealed tone of gentle irony. "I had never heard of it; so I pray thee enlighten mine ignorance. Of a truth thou must know the law, since thou didst swear before the altar of the gods to uphold it with all thy might."

"'Tis not a case of law, Augusta, but one of pity."

The praefect, feeling no doubt the weakness of any argument which aimed at coercing this daughter of the Cæsars, prompted too by his innate respect of the law which he administered, thought it best to retreat from his position of haughty arrogance and to make an appeal, since obviously he could not command. Dea Flavia was quick to note this change of attitude, and her delicate lips parted in a contemptuous smile.

"Dost administer pity as well as law, O Taurus Antinor?" she asked coldly. ( From the book)

1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/24789
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
      [*] Project Code: q3MlPcef

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Baroness Orczy) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emma_Orczy
      [*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
      [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 36
      [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      [*]Original publication date (if known): 1914
      [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================ [/size]

Genres for the project: Historical Fiction; Religious Fiction/Christian Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: history, rome, romance, Caesar, emma orczy

============================================
  • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  • DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Unto Caesar. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Unto Caesar, by Baroness Orczy. [Chapter]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Unto Caesar, by Baroness Orczy. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  • AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    untocaesar_##_orczy.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. untocaesar_01_orczy.mp3)

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Annise
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
[/list]
Adele

Post by annise »

I'll set this up, back soon

Anne
Done - were you DPLing or do we need one ?
AdeledePignerolles

Thanks so much! I'll be PLing. :)
Adele

The MW is filled in (no chapter names, so that was super fast! :D)
Adele

Post by annise »

Let's wait a day or so to let people know about it , then go to readers wanted :D

Anne
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Baroness Orczy! Cool - I haven't read this book but I love all her others, so I'll kick off with Chapter 1, unless you plan to read it yourself?
AdeledePignerolles

This one is just as good as all the rest :D I'm not planning to read it myself, just PL, so I'd love for you to read Chapter 1! I'm surprised no one's claimed any chapters yet :)
Adele

Post by GregLn »

Hi,
Is this still alive?
If so, can I have Chapter 2?

Greg
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Thanks for the reminder! Can I have an extension please? I'm coughing too much to record at the moment.
AdeledePignerolles

GregLn wrote:Hi,
Is this still alive?
If so, can I have Chapter 2?

Greg
That would be great, thanks!
Elizabby wrote:Thanks for the reminder! Can I have an extension please? I'm coughing too much to record at the moment.
Certainly! I hope you're better soon!
Adele

Post by GregLn »

AdeledePignerolles

Thank you!
Adele

Chapter 2 is PL OK :D
Adele

Post by Jules8 »

Hello Adele:
Once again I have jump the gun and recorded Chapter 4 and hope it's OK?
The time and URL are as follows:
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/unt ... _orczy.mp3
db--89.2
I am also enclosing a photo and hope you get it and are able to open. I only sent it because I understand that your dream is to be a missionary
.My Brother is an artist and painted the Resurrection of Our lord and saviour.
Jules

Jean's *1.jpg
Animals have these advantages over man……they have no theologians to instruct them……their funerals cost them nothing, and no one starts law suite over their wills.
Voltaire
AdeledePignerolles

Thanks so much! I'll PL soon :D
Adele