[COMPLETE] State of the Union Addresses 1837-1844 - kd

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
linny

Post by linny »

State of the Union Addresses (1837 - 1844) by United States Presidents.

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/state-of-the-union-addresses-by-united-states-presidents-1837-1844-by-various/
The State of the Union address is a speech presented by the President of the United States to a joint session of the United States Congress, typically delivered annually. The address not only reports on the condition of the nation but also allows the President to outline his legislative agenda (for which he needs the cooperation of Congress) and national priorities. This album contains recordings of addresses from Martin van Buren and John Tyler. (Wikipedia and Linette Geisel)
This is the 4th out of 27 projects. Prior addresses are found here: https://librivox.org/search?q=state%20of%20the%20union&search_form=advanced
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/5050
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: Special - Please follow text while PLing. I'm not looking for word perfect. The language is sometimes awkward and following the text will help identify errors which the ear alone may not find.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/War & Military

Keywords that describe the book: john tyler, martin van buren

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      Less than 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)[/b]
      • "Section[number] of State of the Union Addresses (1837 - 1844). This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "[section title: President, date of address, and part number]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Section]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of State of the Union Addresses (1837 - 1844)"
      There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      stateoftheunion1837_1844_##_various_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. stateoftheunion1837_1844_01_various_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags
      Please ignore tags - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: KiltedDragon
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by linny on April 13th, 2018, 11:28 am, edited 5 times in total.
linny

Post by linny »

Section Breakdown:
Note: If you are claiming all sections for an Address feel free to split the sections differently. Be sure to post your preferred start/stop for your DPL.

Martin van Buren, December 3, 1838
Part 1, 5519 words, Read through "There is no reason to suppose that legislation upon that branch of the subject would now be embarrassed by a difference of opinion, or fail to receive the cordial support of a large majority of our constituents."
Part 2, 5972 read from "The connection which formerly existed between the Government and banks was in reality injurious to both, as well as to the general interests of the community at large."

Martin van Buren, December 2, 1839
Part 1, 3746 words. Read through "Your early consideration of the subject is therefore once more earnestly requested."
Part 2, 3223 words. Read from "The present condition of the defenses of our principal seaports and navy-yards, as represented by the accompanying report of the Secretary of War, calls for the early and serious attention of Congress;" through "It is only by such a course that the confidence and good will of the community can be preserved, and in the sequel the best interests of the institutions themselves promoted."
Part 3, 6464 words. Read from "New dangers to the banks are also daily disclosed from the extension of that system of extravagant credit of which they are the pillars."
Last edited by linny on April 13th, 2018, 12:35 pm, edited 7 times in total.
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

I just wanted to get an early claim into 1841.

I'm currently committed to a lengthy treatise on the planets, so before I forget...
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
linny

Post by linny »

How about 1837?

Glad to take an early claim on 1847. Polk is a talker at 16,414 words. :wink:

EDIT: lol, ok, 1841 it is!
KiltedDragon

Post by KiltedDragon »

MW all set up. :)
Barry
My Recordings
Darn stuff! I have books to read!
linny

Post by linny »

Excellent! Thank you, Barry. I'll get the MW set up in the morning. :thumbs:

EDIT: That should do it. I don't know if Craig will be joining us for this edition. If possible, can we stay in the launch pad for a couple of days and try to attract a DPL?
soupy

Post by soupy »

I'm going to wait for a little while and see if someone is interested.

If no one shows up I'll take the section :D

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
linny

Post by linny »

Sounds great, Craig. Thanks for letting me know. :thumbs:
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi!
Can I please take sections 14-17? Many thanks!
linny

Post by linny »

Lynda,
Certainly. Thank you for the claim.
khiddy

Post by khiddy »

I'd like to claim Sections 1 & 2, by my beloved Martin van Buren, 1837.
linny

Post by linny »

Excellent. Thank you for your claim.
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Linny -

Here are my recorded sections ready for PL -

Section 14 - https://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddragon/stateoftheunion1837_1844_14_various_128kb.mp3 - 30:28
Section 15 - https://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddragon/stateoftheunion1837_1844_15_various_128kb.mp3 - 34:40

Have a good day!
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Lynda,
Thank you for your sections. I won't be able to PL until Sunday.
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Not a problem at all Linny!

Have a good day!