SOLO Through East Anglia In A Motor Car by J.E.Vincent-phil

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TND1
Location: Living the (Broadland) dream somewhere between the Middle of Nowhere & the Back of Beyond

Post by TND1 »

Through East Anglia In A Motor Car by J. E. Vincent (1857 - 1909).

This glorious project is complete and can be found in our catalog at https://librivox.org/through-east-anglia-in-a-motor-car-by-james-edmund-vincent/
The beginning of the last century saw an increasing popularity of the motor car as a viable method of transport for a significant number of the more affluent sections of the population.

The freedom, flexibility and speed (!) that this modern invention provided to those who were wealthy enough to be able to afford to buy and to run one of these vehicles, meant that they were soon used for frequent social and pleasure purposes allowing both the travelling to and the exploration of different regions of the country.

This book, from 1907: ‘Through East Anglia in a Motor Car’, documents numerous journeys that the author, accompanied by various passengers and friends had undertaken during the previous year, using various vehicles popular at that time.

Although mention is made in the text of different motor cars used for the various trips, such as those manufactured by Panhard, Lanchester, and Rolls Royce (a 1906 Grey Ghost, no less), there is not too much reported about the running and maintenance of them. The author however, does seem to be really pleased when on a fine day and faced with a clear open road and a back wind, he and his passengers are able to cover a good thirty miles in an hour and half.

Strictly speaking, the United Kingdom region of East Anglia is made up of three counties, Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire. In writing this guide book and to make it more relevant and appealing to the car owning Londoner, the author has expanded this region to also include anywhere north of Tower Bridge on the River Thames, thus including central and east London as well as the entire county of Essex in his journeys.

These expeditions take us to many places that nowadays are very much ‘off the beaten track’ but were, a century ago, very much on the main ‘tracks’ through this region. But, it is not only routes and locations that have been written about. The author also includes numerous details and stories of the area’s historical events, geographical and architectural features, customs, legends and myths that will give the listener an appreciation of an area of England that has an extremely fascinating cultural heritage.

So, start your engines and join me if you will, on an auditory journey of discovery around an understated yet unique part of England as it was at the turn of the last century. (TND)

Note: Section 14 contains two instances of a derogatory racial term to describe a particular type of street entertainer of the time. This term may be offensive to some modern listeners.
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/38938
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Travel & Geography

Keywords that describe the book: , travel, motoring, Suffolk, norfolk, east anglia, the broads, norfolk broads, east of england, essex, cambridgeshire, the fens, motor car, guide book

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

START of recording (Intro):
    • "Introduction to Through East Anglia In A Motor Car by J. E. Vincent. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • Say:
      "Through East Anglia In A Motor Car by J. E. Vincent. [Introduction]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of Through East Anglia In A Motor Car by J. E. Vincent. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • Say:
      " Chapter [number] of Through East Anglia In A Motor Car by J. E. Vincent - Chapter [Title], Part [number]""
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter [number], Part [number]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Through East Anglia In A Motor Car by J. E. Vincent"

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
    • Example filename througheastangliamotorcar_##_vincent_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. througheastangliamotorcar_01_vincent_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
      Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: philchenevert
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by TND1 on September 11th, 2016, 12:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I will set this up for you in a few minutes. Looks like an interesting read. :thumbs:
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
TND1
Location: Living the (Broadland) dream somewhere between the Middle of Nowhere & the Back of Beyond

Post by TND1 »

Note: There is a section covering Practical Observations applicable to each chapter at the beginning of the book. I intend to record each of these at the beginning of the initial file (Part 1) for each main chapter. Abbreviations given in Practical Observations will not be included.

If that is OK?
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

TND1 wrote:Note: There is a section covering Practical Observations applicable to each chapter at the beginning of the book. I intend to record each of these at the beginning of the initial file (Part 1) for each main chapter. Abbreviations given in Practical Observations will not be included.

If that is OK?
Sounds like a good plan to to me. The soloist has a lot of discretion on how to handle foot notes and other things to make it most enjoyable and understandable to the listener. Thanks for asking.
EDIT: Have you maintained the magic window before?
TND1

Post by TND1 »

philchenevert wrote:I will set this up for you in a few minutes. Looks like an interesting read. :thumbs:
Thanks for picking this one up Phil. :)

I encountered a real problem when filling in the template, in that whenever I put in 'J.E. Vincent' it kept defaulting to 'Harl Vincent'. I guess that Harl Vincent is already stored within the Librivox system, whereas James Edmund Vincent was a new entry.

I have tidied up the template but thought that you should know about the problems I had.

Cheers

TND
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I noticed you tidied up the template; that is great! you even added the 128kb to the file name; impressive!
I encountered a real problem when filling in the template, in that whenever I put in 'J.E. Vincent' it kept defaulting to 'Harl Vincent'. I guess that Harl Vincent is already stored within the Librivox system, whereas James Edmund Vincent was a new entry.
The author database is touchy indeed. I will see if it needs to have the name entered by a knowledgable MC.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I put the author into the database. Image James Edward Vincent is now in there.
TND1

Post by TND1 »

philchenevert wrote:
EDIT: Have you maintained the magic window before?
How do you mean, Phil?

I've usually edited just the Title / Notes / Listen URL / Status columns.

Also, I think that you will have to update the reader column with my user name - I don't have access to that part.

Cheers

TND
TND1

Post by TND1 »

philchenevert wrote:I put the author into the database. Image James Edward Vincent is now in there.
Ah! I see what you've done there. You've overdone the old mug of Gumbo again!!

What we need to do, is to ease this James Edward Vincent fella out of the database right quick and then drop in James Edmund Vincent with no-one noticing.

I'll keep a lookout.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

What we need to do, is to ease this James Edward Vincent fella out of the database right quick and then drop in James Edmund Vincent with no-one noticing.I'll keep a lookout.
Cool. I ninja'd my way in there and snuck in James Edmund. All done and left no fingerprints. Image (well, except for the banana peels)

EDIT: apparently, when the correct author is not shown in the dropdown options, it is correct procedure to just type in the right name. go figure. EDIT: but it is my job to make sure it is the correct name. Just another reason why we MCs get the big bucks
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I am tempted to offer to be DPL for this project. I myself have done East Anglia by car some years ago and still have fond memories. Would be interesting to hear about the highlights of the area some 100 years ago. :)

Sonia
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Kitty wrote:I am tempted to offer to be DPL for this project. I myself have done East Anglia by car some years ago and still have fond memories. Would be interesting to hear about the highlights of the area some 100 years ago. :)

Sonia
Hi Sonia. I can't speak for the soloist but this will be a delightful book to listen to.

I listened to a bit of the introduction and ind it delightful and beautifully read. Great audio tracks too for a cursory check. Gonna be cool motoring through the countryside with him as a reader.... :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

philchenevert wrote:I listened to a bit of the introduction and ind it delightful and beautifully read. Great audio tracks too for a cursory check. Gonna be cool motoring through the countryside with him as a reader.... :D
well, that was what I was hoping for :) I just wait for the green light and then I get in first gear (to stay in the picture)

Sonia
TND1

Post by TND1 »

Kitty wrote:I am tempted to offer to be DPL for this project. I myself have done East Anglia by car some years ago and still have fond memories. Would be interesting to hear about the highlights of the area some 100 years ago. :)

Sonia
Welcome aboard Sonia - you're most welcome to come along for the trip. Lots to see and lots of places to check out that you probably didn't get to on your last trip around the region.

And ..... Well - Any chance you could bring a bag of spanners along? Oh, and how are your skills in mending punctures? And changing clutches whilst hurtling down the odd 1:10 hill flat out when the brakes have just failed? Just, like, wondering... :)

This is quite a long book and I aim to record 1 ~ 2 chapters a week.

Cheers

TND
TND1

Post by TND1 »

philchenevert wrote: I listened to a bit of the introduction and ind it delightful and beautifully read. Great audio tracks too for a cursory check. Gonna be cool motoring through the countryside with him as a reader.... :D
Thanks for that Phil - Feel free to hop onto a spare seat anytime you have a few minutes to spare. :D