LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently August 23rd, 2017, 11:49 pm

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post Posted:: April 7th, 2016, 3:56 pm 

Anne of Avonlea by Lucy Maud Montgomery (1874 - 1942).

Quote:
( )

• Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/47
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

• The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Anne of Avonlea. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Anne of Avonlea, by Lucy Maud Montgomery. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Anne of Avonlea by Lucy Maud Montgomery. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"

END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Anne of Avonlea, by Lucy Maud Montgomery. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename anneofavonlea_##_montgomery_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. anneofavonlea_01_montgomery_128kb.mp3)
  • ID tags not needed

[b]Transfer of files (completed recordings)

Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: chocoholic
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below

Post Posted:: April 7th, 2016, 3:56 pm 

I realize this book has been done a couple times, but it's my first solo project, and this seemed like a fun, short option to give soloing a try. Hope that's ok?

Thanks!

Post Posted:: April 7th, 2016, 6:45 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

What a lovely choice for your first solo! I'll be happy to MC. Back shortly with your MW.

Post Posted:: April 7th, 2016, 7:16 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

All right, you're all set up! I've added the _128kb to the end of the suggested file name. Please note that ID tags aren't required (anything you enter will be overwritten by the cataloging software anyway). Whatever you enter in the Title field of the Magic Window will become the section title ID tags.

I think you haven't had to work in the Magic Window before, is that right?
Here are instructions for accessing the Workflow (the back end of the Magic Window) for the first time: First Time Accessing the System

And here are instructions for managing the Magic Window/Section Compiler: Project Management FAQ for BC's
This is also available on the Wiki, if that's easier for you to navigate: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/BC's:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Post Posted:: April 8th, 2016, 12:20 pm 

I've always recorded under my screen name, brokenaltar. Is it alright if I use my real name in the intro and outro for these?

Post Posted:: April 8th, 2016, 3:44 pm 

Couple more questions:

What needs to happen next? Do I have to find a prooflistener?

Do you have some guidelines you can give me on keywords? Keywords can mean so many different things on different sites. From the general, "Fiction," to uber-specific, "Anne Shirley."

Thanks! And thanks for taking on the project :) I was so worried about doing something that had been soloed before.

Post Posted:: April 8th, 2016, 6:51 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

I'm back :) (was away all day at work, which you could probably tell...). Great job entering the titles!

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, you can use your real name. If you do, I'd recommend changing your catalog name to your real name so listeners won't be confused and so you can be found on a catalog search for either name. You can do this yourself (I think): in the Workflow (same place you go to edit the Magic Window), enter your forum name in the "search by reader/user" bar up top. In the Edit column of your reader page, click on the magnifying glass icon. The "display name" is your catalog name, and you can change that to your real name (your forum name will stay the same). If you can't do it, let me know; I don't think it requires admin access but I could be wrong. Whether to use your real name is personal preference; some readers do and some don't. Every so often someone asks to have their real name removed and a pseudonym substituted. We can change the name in the catalog but we can't remove the name from the recording, so bear that in mind (I imagine you've already thought about it, though!).

2. Next step: I like to leave projects in the Launch Pad for a day or two so people can see what's coming up, so I'll move this thread down to the Solos forum sometime this weekend. I entered a tilde (~) at the beginning of the thread title; this is a sign that the project doesn't yet have a prooflistener. Someone may volunteer before I move the thread to Solos. If not, then after you've recorded a section or two, I'll post an ad for a prooflistener in the Listeners Wanted forum . (You're welcome to post the ad yourself if you'd like to learn how to do it.) It's no hurry, and you don't have to wait for a prooflistener to start recording.

3. I entered some keywords in the database already (the admins had to do that with the old system and I never got out of the habit :)). Keywords go onto a book's Archive page (where the cataloged files are hosted) and help people who are searching Archive find books. So the keywords are basically anything you think somebody might type into a search bar looking for either a specific book or a genre. I tend to be kind of sparing with my keywords, but other people enter lots of them, including main character names if they're likely to stick in somebody's head long enough to become a search term. The ones I entered for this project are Canada, Prince Edward Island, Anne Shirley, orphans, and children's literature. (I can't quite decide about "orphans"; it was in Gutenberg's list of keywords for this book but I'm not sure if anybody would actually use that as a search term.) If you'd like to add some others, just let me know and I'll pop them in the database.

4. You're very welcome! And no worries about soloing something that's been done before. We don't have YOUR version of it, and sometimes listeners like to have a "choice of voice."

Post Posted:: April 9th, 2016, 12:56 pm 

Well, I searched for my catalogue name and found it, but saw no edit column or magnifying glass on the reader page, alas :( Meanwhile I've recorded three chapters, and am about to start editing them. Any constructive feedback on simple things to do to improve the recordings is welcome from whoever ends up listening. Really enjoying myself so far!

Edit: Eureka! It's actually editable from the little "My Profile" link at the top of the dashboard. At least, there's a place to edit "Display Name".

Liz Loomans

Post Posted:: April 9th, 2016, 1:14 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Oh good! I'm glad you were able to figure it out even though I led you astray. :)

Entering a summary in the top post might help prospective PL'ers know whether this is a book they'd like to work on. It's fine if it's a temporary one (just let me know before cataloging time when you've got the final version ready). The Anne series is so well known at LV that a forum summary isn't as critical for this book as it is for some others, so it's up to you.

Post Posted:: April 9th, 2016, 1:19 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

May I DPL? :)

~~ heading out of town 8/17 - 8/21. Thanks for your patience! ~~

Fairytales in Danish, Swedish, or Norwegian
Lots of short stories and myths that deal with nature from all over the world

Post Posted:: April 9th, 2016, 1:23 pm 

Aw, shucks! Thanks for hopping over to my project :) That sounds super to me. Don't know if I'm the one that approves that, or whether Laurie Anne does. (Almost forgot the "e" on the end of that name. My title character would be horrified!)

Post Posted:: April 9th, 2016, 1:35 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Thanks :) I'm looking forward to listening to the whole thing in chronological order :wink:

Post Posted:: April 9th, 2016, 1:39 pm 

LOL. I was just glancing through one of the off-topic forums for the first time, and saw a proof-listener bemoaning her fate of having to listen to group projects out of order.

Well, bemoaning is a bit strong, but she was hoping there was some way around it, certainly. I feel her pain.

And thanks again for hopping on board!

Post Posted:: April 9th, 2016, 1:47 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Thank you. Lol. I don't mind the out-of-order-ness of it all -- it is just a different way of listening/reading a book, as far as I am concerned :) But sometimes it is good to do both :)

Post Posted:: April 10th, 2016, 5:05 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

I've added kathrinee as DPL (thanks!) and moved this to Solos. Let me know if you need anything else!