COMPLETE Cicero's Speeches against Catilina -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » December 3rd, 2015, 2:29 am

Speeches Against Catilina by Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 - 43 BCE).
With Introduction and Notes by Ernest Alfred Upcott (1858 - 1935)

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project: http://librivox.org/speeches-against-catilina-by-marcus-tullius-cicero/
This volume contains the four speeches delivered by Cicero in 63 BC, when he was a consul, against the conspiracy headed by L. Sergius Catilina. Catilina was scheming to bring about a general uprising in the country if he could not rise to a position of power by election. This volume includes an English introduction and notes on the speeches by E.A. Upcott.
The e-text used to produce this audiobook also includes further helpful study material for Latin scholars, which have been omitted from this audio version. ( Carolin)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/39355
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin Note: there is a large section with notes in the back of the text. We will not record it, but it may help you with the text.
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of Cicero's Speeches Against Catilina. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Speeches Against Catilina, by Marcus Tullius Cicero. With Introduction and Notes by Ernest Alfred Upcott. [Title]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Title]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Speeches Against Catilina, by Marcus Tullius Cicero. With Introduction and Notes by Ernest Alfred Upcott (1858 - 1935)"

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      speechesagainstcatilina_##_cicero_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. speechesagainstcatilina_01_cicero_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
      Artist: Marcus Tullius Cicero
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: Speeches Against Catilina

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Carolin
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Carolin

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » December 3rd, 2015, 2:42 am

we havent had a latin project going in a while. so here is a text which i think will be easy to read and also easy to listen to, with an interesting introduction and notes in english :)

a dpl and all interested readers are welcome!
Carolin

pnagami

Post by pnagami » December 3rd, 2015, 4:29 pm

Carolin,
May I please read the First Oration in Latin. I am not sure what section it corresponds to. Is it Section 4? There is a helpful English headnote at the beginning of each Section. May I read these. There are also end notes in the text, which I would like to omit as they break up the oratory.
Pam
Last edited by pnagami on December 3rd, 2015, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson

pnagami

Post by pnagami » December 3rd, 2015, 4:33 pm

Carolin,
I can also DPL all Sections but my one, if you would like. (I'm experienced as a DPL now as I am doing a project for Barbara2.)
Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » December 4th, 2015, 1:48 am

hi pam - great having you on board!

yes, oration 1 is section 4. please read the cursive english inserts, but no footnotes (they are mostly vocabulary). thank you very much!!
Carolin

pnagami

Post by pnagami » December 4th, 2015, 5:59 pm

Thanks, Carolin. I am doing the prep work now. Going to meet next Thursday with my Latin tutor for some last minute pointers and then I will record my section. In the meantime, ready to DPL!
Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson

pnagami

Post by pnagami » December 12th, 2015, 6:56 pm

Robert Louis Stevenson

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » December 16th, 2015, 3:02 am

thank you pam!

also, thank you for your pm, but i have to concentrate and remember all the technical things about latin before i can get back to you :)
Carolin

apannone

Post by apannone » December 26th, 2015, 9:57 am

Hi Carolin,

I would like to read section 5, Oration II.

Thank you,

alina

pnagami

Post by pnagami » December 26th, 2015, 10:11 am

Welcome to Librivox, Alina! And welcome to this project!

Carolin will be along soon. She is on Netherlands time and is 9 hours ahead of me in California.

I am the proof listener on this project, and I know that Carolin is going to want you to complete your one-minute test before recording to make sure that the technical aspects of your reading will be correct. This is not an audition just a technical preparation.

Please go to the Volunteer half of the home screen for Librivox and follow the links to Wiki for the one-minute test.

Again, I am very excited to have a new volunteer on this project!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson

apannone

Post by apannone » December 26th, 2015, 4:21 pm

Thank you for reaching out to me, Pam!

I am currently away now and will be back a week later. I will get started then and do the 1 minute test as well.

I will figure out how things work soon, thanks for your guidance!

alina

pnagami

Post by pnagami » December 26th, 2015, 4:28 pm

You are very welcome, alina, and take your time!
Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » December 28th, 2015, 10:53 am

hi alina, welcome to librivox!

you are welcome to read that section. to be able to sign you up, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you would like to appear in the catalog. we can also link to your personal catalog page or blog.

thank you, and also thank you pam :)
Carolin

pnagami

Post by pnagami » December 28th, 2015, 11:10 am

Yes, it's great!
Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » December 28th, 2015, 9:43 pm

I'll PL your section Pam! It may take a day or two, but I'll have it listened to as soon as I can.
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."